GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need some help formulating a study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Need some help formulating a study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2011, 14:06
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I'm planning on taking the GMAT sometime in mid-September and I'm attempting to formulate a good 3-3 1/2 month study plan. A couple things- I do work full-time but am willing to put in 2-3 hours on weeknights and more on weekends.

*One caveat: I also took the LSAT a few years ago and did well. I took an LSAT prep course and did not find it very helpful. It seemed to me that the class was designed for individuals who had modest goals, and if you tested above a certain level, the actual techniques used in class were largely useless. At some point I switched to a practice exam approach, which I found more helpful.

I'm weighing a couple options in terms of GMAT test prep and wanted to gain your thoughts.

1. Prep Class + extra books: I'm considering taking Knewton's online gmat class because it works with my schedule. In addition, I would probably purchase the three official guides and the Manhattan books content specific bundle.

2. Books, books, and more books: The "Ultimate Plan" cited on this forum looks promising. So Kaplan Premier, GMAT test simulation booklet, the official guides, and the Manhattan books bundle.

Which would be the more effective of the two strategies if my goal is 'best score possible'? Is the added expense of the prep class justified relative to the exclusively books route? If I do go the books route, how should I plan on weaving the materials together for a cohesive plan?

Regards,
Rick
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Need some help formulating a study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2011, 16:30
Really depends on you. For example the MGMAT class uses the 8 MGMAT Guides and the OG as the study material, so the main advantage you are getting is that it is taught on a regular basis by great instructors. For some people it is a huge value when you have that kind of support and also a push/nudge with schedule. While for others, they prefer to do it on their own at their own pace and don't have more questions than what they can find answers to on the forum.

One word of caution - I would emphasize quality of study vs. quantity. You wont' get a higher score if you cover all possible books but you are almost guaranteed a higher score if you cover whatever material you are using diligently.

Hope this helps.... at least a little.
With the LSAT background, you should breeze thorugh the Verbal and should focus (mostly) on the Quant part. You may also want to invest into the MGMAT Math Foundations if you find yourself having a hard time with their books.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2011, 08:25
I appreciate the advice.

I am one of those people that can study on my own without the push- so maybe the books route would be an acceptible method.

That being said, would the books that I cited provide a comprehensive review of the strategies, content, and practice questions needed to achieve a strong score (Kaplan Premier, GMAT test simulation booklet, the official guides, and the Manhattan books bundle)?

I am not necessarily planning on getting through all the material but it will be easier for me to purchase it all in bundle. Are there any others that should be added to the list?

Regards,
Rick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2011, 08:24
I have the same question. I purchased the MGMAT books yesterday and I have OG 11 and 12 review and OG 11 (quant, verbal) books as well. I went through the first 5 chapters of number properties in 1.5 hours. I took the gmat prep test and got 490 :( (43Q, 22V) Should I purchase kaplan or other material? My target is 720+. I am going to buy the RC99 and SC Grail by Aristotle..will those be of great use as well?

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Re: Need some help formulating a study plan &nbs [#permalink] 19 May 2011, 08:24

Need some help formulating a study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap