GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 22:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need some practical advice on when to cancel a gmat score

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Need some practical advice on when to cancel a gmat score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 22:44
Looking for some quick decision making help here:

I have a 710 gmat (second attempt) and was waitlisted from 2 top ten schools two years in a row.
I'm applying to MIT and Columbia in R2 and hoping to come off waitlist at the other 2 schools mentioned above.
Im retaking the GMAT in 2 days in order to score a 730+ ... this would put me above the average of each of the schools I'm targetting.

I feel confident in my prep, but just want to have a contingency plan:

If i score 710 or less on this GMAT, I'm going to cancel the score (and probably take again).
If I score 730 or more, I'm going to keep it (and be happy).

If I score 720.. what should I do?

I know it sounds silly to quibble over 10 points, BUT, I want to be as strong as possible when I apply; I sincerely think being below a school's average gmat score is one thing holding me back. This will also be my third attempt.

I'm leaning towards cancelling the 720 if I get it, and retaking the gmat again in hopes of breaking 730.

Thoughts?
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Need some practical advice on when to cancel a gmat score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 23:09
@urbanac, why wouldn't you keep the 720? It's higher than a 710 and while not a massive Improvement will put you in a better place with your applications, if you've already applied/ decided to apply. I would also encourage you to take a critical eye to your application materials and to be quite honest get a professional opinion on those. Most applicants who have been wait-listed point to their test score because it's the one objective criteria that they can compare against the average, however they don't have the ability to compare their CV against the average. And even if they could would not have much of a clue on what separates good from great. Every single time I have looked an application for someone who's been wait-listed who doesn't have a GMAT that's like 50+ points below the average, the application tells the tale entirely.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Need some practical advice on when to cancel a gmat score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 23:30
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
@urbanac, why wouldn't you keep the 720? It's higher than a 710 and while not a massive Improvement will put you in a better place with your applications, if you've already applied/ decided to apply. I would also encourage you to take a critical eye to your application materials and to be quite honest get a professional opinion on those. Most applicants who have been wait-listed point to their test score because it's the one objective criteria that they can compare against the average, however they don't have the ability to compare their CV against the average. And even if they could would not have much of a clue on what separates good from great. Every single time I have looked an application for someone who's been wait-listed who doesn't have a GMAT that's like 50+ points below the average, the application tells the tale entirely.

Brilliant observation Farrell,
Enhancing the rest of the application generally, and the resume and essays specifically may indeed give a better ROI.

One last point, Urbanac: Don't forget that MBA program in a good school is just one of the means to get to your Goals faster. Dont' obsess so much about the schools X, Y & Z that you start confusing your actual goals with your means.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need some practical advice on when to cancel a gmat score &nbs [#permalink] 25 Dec 2017, 23:30

Need some practical advice on when to cancel a gmat score

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap