GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Need suggestions how to improve my score from 620 to 700 above

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Need suggestions how to improve my score from 620 to 700 above  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 07:28
I am an Indian with work experience of 1.9 years in software industry. I had my gmat exam on 31st March and got an unsatisfied score 620(Q49,V27) :( :( .I prepared well before the exam. When I am preparing I am able to solve the questions from OG, Quant Review and Verbal Review, and my accuracy is good with 6 to 7 questions out of 10 in Verbal and 9 to 10 questions out of 10 in Quant. But when I took my exam I am able to solve Quant very easily but I found difficulty in verbal section. I am not able to understand the passage in RC and the argument in CR easily during my exam when compared to my preparation :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . I think because of that I scored very badly. The same thing happened when I took mock test, two days before the exam. Didn't understand what to do and I lost my confidence of scoring 700. Please help me how to prepare and improve in verbal section. I am planning to retake the exam in may 1st week.

Your advise is highly appreciated.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need suggestions how to improve my score from 620 to 700 above  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 12:51
Hi sravanivelugoti640,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Need suggestions how to improve my score from 620 to 700 above  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 01:27
sravanivelugoti640 wrote:
I am an Indian with work experience of 1.9 years in software industry. I had my gmat exam on 31st March and got an unsatisfied score 620(Q49,V27) :( :( .I prepared well before the exam. When I am preparing I am able to solve the questions from OG, Quant Review and Verbal Review, and my accuracy is good with 6 to 7 questions out of 10 in Verbal and 9 to 10 questions out of 10 in Quant. But when I took my exam I am able to solve Quant very easily but I found difficulty in verbal section. I am not able to understand the passage in RC and the argument in CR easily during my exam when compared to my preparation :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . I think because of that I scored very badly. The same thing happened when I took mock test, two days before the exam. Didn't understand what to do and I lost my confidence of scoring 700. Please help me how to prepare and improve in verbal section. I am planning to retake the exam in may 1st week.

Your advise is highly appreciated.

Hi sravanivelugoti640,

First of all 620 is a decent score to start with. 2 months may be enough to improve your score. It’s a good thing you have taken your GMAT once. You now know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for 2 months, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from solidifying your base in verbal first.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. MGMAT foundation of GMAT verbal will particularly help you solidify your base. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase GMATPREP QP1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

VP
VP
G
Re: Need suggestions how to improve my score from 620 to 700 above  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 19:58
Hi Sravani, you might want to opt for ESR, so that you can get a more definitive insight into your performance.

Also, assuming that you are looking to push up your current V27 to at least a V35, the deadline that you've set for yourself for the re-attempt (first week of May) seems ambitious.

There are no quick-fixes.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-03-2015
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 09:44
Hi Sravani,

X out of 10 may not be quite an indicator of your performance. I think you should take tests in accurate test condition format.

For example, take 37 questions of quant and 41 questions of verbal and take a test continuously with timed session. You can find a GMAT timer on this website. Try and use that.

On the Kudos Spree.

If you like my post/comment please appreciate with kudos :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need suggestions how to improve my score from 620 to 700 above &nbs [#permalink] 16 Apr 2018, 09:44

Need suggestions how to improve my score from 620 to 700 above

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap