It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need suggestions to go from 580 to 710+.Exam fear getting better of me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Need suggestions to go from 580 to 710+.Exam fear getting better of me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 06:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I first took my GMAT in July and scored a 590(43Q, 27V) an year after taking the The Manya- Princeton Review classes. For this first attempt I followed Self prep, Manhattan material, Princeton Review material for refreshing my basics and GMATClub tests (on their free days). Before taking the exam I kind of knew I would be retaking it again as I did not prep enough. Timing was a major issue for me during this attempt.

I was pretty sure that my score would improve in my next attempt as I started doing better in CR(which was my pain point in verbal).
Purchased Veritas mocks and scored around 620-630. For Verbal I consistently scored 32-34. Used the GMATClub forum to practice for Quant.

One week before the exam- On GMATPrep tests, I scored my first highest ever- 710(although I remembered a few answers from my previous attempts).

However, ended up scoring a dismal 580(47Q, 23V) in my second attempt. Followed the section order of Verbal, Quant and IR+AWA.

I was so nervous before this attempt to maintain my pace in Verbal section. My target was to finish 14 questions with 59 mins remaining, 25 questions with 37 mins remaining and 33+ questions with 15 mins remaining. The moment I was unable to finish 14 questions with 59 mins remaining, I blanked out. I was just reading questions and marking answers without even fully comprehending them. I knew I was not going to score well in my Verbal and ended up scoring 23. However, I dint let this affect my Quant section and did decently well when compared with my previous attempt, scoring 47.

Pacing has been my issue but during the exam I really grew conscious of it. Eventually, it did get the better of me.

Now I am not really sure as to what to focus on. How to go about from here. I aim to score more than 710 in my next GMAT attempt. But it really seems like a far cry as all I can think about is going back to the test center a few months later and panicking again like the way I did. Should I take more mocks? Should I change my section ordering? Do I need to start my prep all over again?

Please help me out by offering advice/suggestions to overcome this fear of pacing and the GMAT itself.

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 747 [1], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need suggestions to go from 580 to 710+.Exam fear getting better of me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hi AB9,

I would suggest you to order the ESR for this attempt - 580(47Q, 23V)
This will basically enable you to find out what your weak sections are!

Once you have clarity on what those topic are, you must work on getting
your concepts right and focus on giving the GMATPrep tests from time to
time as they help you determine if you are actually moving in the right
direction.

Since you have already taken the GMATPrep test(FREE) multiple times,
I would suggest you to buy the Exam Packs 1 & 2! You could also buy
the Question Pack1 which contains some really good questions and
continue working on the GMATClub Quant questions as they could
help you in achieving Q49-50(if you carefully analyze the mistakes
you make in these tests and make sure not to repeat them again)

Hope that helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 747 [1], given: 19

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 1

GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
Re: Need suggestions to go from 580 to 710+.Exam fear getting better of me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
I had a similar problem with timing and panicking.
Well it definitely gets better on the second attempt.
Also learn some yoga or breathing4 techniques and apply them
Search for pranayam on YouTube.
It is most helpful.

For timing, practice is key.
Practice doing questions in under two minutes only
First clear out all your concepts and then work on timing
Gmat isnt as hard as people make it out to be if you follow proper methods.
Cheers and good luck

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 01:03
pushpitkc and Ayushjoshi07 thank you so much. Will try to implement what you guys mentioned.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3681 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 18:41
Hi AB9,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 2 Official Score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (590 +/- a few Scaled Score points). Given the amount of time that you've studied, it's likely that 'your way' of approaching the GMAT will continue to earn you a score in the high-500s. With a goal of 710+, you're going to have to make some significant changes to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - so you will likely need to invest in some new practice materials and focus on learning/practicing new Tactics.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3681 [0], given: 173

Re: Need suggestions to go from 580 to 710+.Exam fear getting better of me   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2017, 18:41

Need suggestions to go from 580 to 710+.Exam fear getting better of me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap