Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Re: Need urgent advice... Need to accept offer within next 10 da [#permalink]
Kudos
"As for WHY MBA.... I HAVE TO... . I really have no choice."

No offense, but this sounds like a terrible reason to go into $100K of debt. Do you have to for your job? To switch careers? To fulfill a personal goal? You sound like you're backed into a wall and feel like you need to get an MBA, but don't really want to get an MBA. You also should think about how good of an investment getting your MBA at UCD Smurfit will be. It may be that regionally it's a strong school, but if your end goal is to move back to India, will it really accelerate your career? There's a real possibility that you will end up exactly the same place, at a similar paying job, with a huge additional debt load. Please do some introspection first before you decide to get an MBA. Ultimately, it's tons of work, forgoing a salary, and a huge investment, and if you're doing it because you feel like you have to, rather than because you want to, you'll always regret the decision!

Edit: Also - please think about the local job market in Ireland. Right now it's an absolutely terrible market with literally hundreds of thousands unemployed (15% unemployment rate, even higher amongst the younger generations), so if you're hoping to use this as a catalyst to move to Ireland it might prove to be much more difficult than you think. I work in consulting and we just did a project for a company looking to outsource IT operations - we ended up advising that they choose Ireland over India because it was cheaper and wages were lower than Hyderabad! Again, not to be a downer, but go in with eyes wide open!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
panama5565 wrote:
"As for WHY MBA.... I HAVE TO... . I really have no choice."

No offense, but this sounds like a terrible reason to go into $100K of debt. Do you have to for your job? To switch careers? To fulfill a personal goal? You sound like you're backed into a wall and feel like you need to get an MBA, but don't really want to get an MBA. You also should think about how good of an investment getting your MBA at UCD Smurfit will be. It may be that regionally it's a strong school, but if your end goal is to move back to India, will it really accelerate your career? There's a real possibility that you will end up exactly the same place, at a similar paying job, with a huge additional debt load. Please do some introspection first before you decide to get an MBA. Ultimately, it's tons of work, forgoing a salary, and a huge investment, and if you're doing it because you feel like you have to, rather than because you want to, you'll always regret the decision!

Edit: Also - please think about the local job market in Ireland. Right now it's an absolutely terrible market with literally hundreds of thousands unemployed (15% unemployment rate, even higher amongst the younger generations), so if you're hoping to use this as a catalyst to move to Ireland it might prove to be much more difficult than you think. I work in consulting and we just did a project for a company looking to outsource IT operations - we ended up advising that they choose Ireland over India because it was cheaper and wages were lower than Hyderabad! Again, not to be a downer, but go in with eyes wide open!

Thanks for the insight. I have decided to write GMAT for next year with a better score. The feedback at this forum was an eye-opener for me. Thnaks again.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Thank you for coming back to share your decision. Good luck with the GMAT!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts