Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Need Work Experience Advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
IndustrialEngineer wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
IndustrialEngineer wrote:
I am a Junior in college who wants to go to business school in the future. I plan on working for 3-4 years before applying. With my degree I can enter various industries, and would like to know which jobs would look best on a B-school application. First, here is my background info:

White male, first generation college student
School: Large state school (Top 20 public)
Major: Industrial Engineering, Minor: Business
GMAT: 700 and 730 on two practice tests that I took
GPA: On track to graduate with 3.8+
Work Experience: 2 internships at large Defense/Aerospace firms (think Lockheed Martin, Boeing, BAE Systems, etc.)
Extra Curricular: Vice President of 2 large engineering clubs

School interested in: Darden, Emory, Kenan-Flagler, Ross, McCombs. Should I aim higher?

Anyways, there are many different types of full time jobs that students from my engineering program land. Which of these (listed below) would look best on a B-School app? I am about equally interested in all of these. Post MBA, I will probably try to get into management consulting at a top firm or general management at a large company.

Industrial/Manufacturing Engineer at Defense/Aerospace Company (Lockheed, Boeing, BAE, etc)

Industrial/Manufacturing Engineer at Private manufacturing company (General Electric, Siemens, Proctor and Gamble, etc.)

Industrial/Manufacturing Engineer at Oil Company (Schlumberger, Exxon, etc.)

Operations Analyst at Bank (BofA, JP Morgan, Capital One, etc.)

Leadership Development Programs: Lockheed Martin, GE, Nielsen

Industrial Engineer at Disney

Technology Consultant at Accenture, Protiviti, Manhattan Associates

Do any of these stand out as good/bad pre-MBA experience? Thanks!

Hello there good sir!
Well looking good so far! :) It's a bit hard to tell right now without any work experience where you might apply. If you keep things up like this, and get a score on the higher side of your GMAT range, Top schools should be in range. But really it's a bit early to "evaluate".

Good question about the jobs. In general, any job is good, and you should not choose a job to think about your MBA but rather what would interest you for the rest of your life. (plus as long as you are successful, for the most part, the jobs are equal). For the most part. The one job I would avoid because it's too techie and too common is Tech consultant. And the one that sounds awesome is the leadership programs (Well, because Bschools love leaders of course!)

Hope this helps, dude,

JF

Thank you for your response kind sir! I appreciate the advice

You got it dude,
Have fun and good luck,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts