It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nervousness on Quant Section; Need Advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Nervousness on Quant Section; Need Advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 20:41
Hi everyone!

I started prepping about one month ago, about 4-5 hours each day. I am using the MGMAT guides for concepts and the OG for questions alongside. My first diagnostic score via GMATPrep Test 1 was 610 (35V, 39Q). As someone who is not strong in quant, I decided to tackle that portion first. I spent two weeks going through the MGMAT quant books and doing all the questions in OG. Then, I did a Manhattan CAT (Quant portion only) and got 41, so the improvement is small but still there. A couple days later, I did the GMATClub Quant test and got a 44. I was satisfied with the improvement, so I decided to start focusing on Verbal.

After a week of practicing Sentence Correction through MGMAT books and OG, I did a full Manhattan CAT and got 620 (36V, 39Q). I think that my low score in Quant was due to me not remembering some concepts that were fresh in my mind last week. Not remembering then led me to be anxious and panic, and therefore miss more questions.

I still have two Verbal books to go through for MGMAT, and I am generally calm while doing verbal, so I am not too concerned about my progress there.
However, I am writing the test at the end of July, and I am aiming for 750. I am not sure how to permanently improve my Quant section so I feel confident about the topics going into the exam. Timing is not an issue, its more the nervousness and anxiousness which I think is a product of weak grasp of concepts.

Some people use Magoosh or EmpowerGMAT when they've hit a rock while using books, but I am not sure if this would help.

If anyone has faced a similar issue or has any idea on how I should spend the next three weeks, I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers :)
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Nervousness on Quant Section; Need Advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 22:51
Hi quanghai

If you think the concepts need revision, then that's the first thing you should do!
The first step before taking on questions is to master the concepts(at least when
it comes to Quant)

There are a few links which should aid your preparation for Quant
(The first two links help with concepts and the last 2 links are for practice only)

1.GMATClub Quantitative Mega-Thread
2.ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
3.PS Directory by Topic and Difficulty
4.DS Directory by Topic and Difficulty

Additionally, you could alternate between Quant and Verbal preparation and
revise the concepts daily(which you have a weak grasp on) from time to time
until they are crystal clear and you don't face any issues due to them.

Hope this helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 06:14
Im keen to hear suggestions here too!
Director
Director
P
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 10:38
quanghai wrote:
Hi everyone!

I started prepping about one month ago, about 4-5 hours each day. I am using the MGMAT guides for concepts and the OG for questions alongside. My first diagnostic score via GMATPrep Test 1 was 610 (35V, 39Q). As someone who is not strong in quant, I decided to tackle that portion first. I spent two weeks going through the MGMAT quant books and doing all the questions in OG. Then, I did a Manhattan CAT (Quant portion only) and got 41, so the improvement is small but still there. A couple days later, I did the GMATClub Quant test and got a 44. I was satisfied with the improvement, so I decided to start focusing on Verbal.

After a week of practicing Sentence Correction through MGMAT books and OG, I did a full Manhattan CAT and got 620 (36V, 39Q). I think that my low score in Quant was due to me not remembering some concepts that were fresh in my mind last week. Not remembering then led me to be anxious and panic, and therefore miss more questions.

I still have two Verbal books to go through for MGMAT, and I am generally calm while doing verbal, so I am not too concerned about my progress there.
However, I am writing the test at the end of July, and I am aiming for 750. I am not sure how to permanently improve my Quant section so I feel confident about the topics going into the exam. Timing is not an issue, its more the nervousness and anxiousness which I think is a product of weak grasp of concepts.

Some people use Magoosh or EmpowerGMAT when they've hit a rock while using books, but I am not sure if this would help.

If anyone has faced a similar issue or has any idea on how I should spend the next three weeks, I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers :)

Hi,

I would like to tell you that everyone from the GC community will suggest you to revise things in 3 days or at least on the weekend. It doesn't matter how much you study. The only thing that matters is how much you retain in mind, and that will decide your progress. GMAT is a test that needs dedication with good habits - habits such as revising time to time, reviewing your practice tests and mark down your weak and strong areas, maintaining error and learning logs etc. Make a disciplined effort to track your progress. 750 is quite a high target score, but you have enough time to reach there. Also work on timing strategies from here:https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-206035.html?fl=menu

IMO Magoosh and EmpowerGMAT both are quite good and reasonable. GMAT Club quant tests and quizzes are great. You can use them for free on 14th and 15 April, 2018. You can also opt for e-gmat for Verbal especially.

GMAT pattern has changed, so keep an eye on that.

QZ

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 11:13
Hi quanghai,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 620 +/- a few points). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's not surprising that these early scores would be so similar to one another - and there's a reasonable chance that you'll naturally improve over time. Since you're not planning to take the GMAT until July, you have plenty of time to study and improve - which is good. That having been said, to hit 750+, you're going to have to make big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. You would also likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led), so you should plan to look into the available options.

Early last week, GMAC made a formal announcement defining some changes that will be taking place to the format of the Official GMAT (beginning April 16, 2018). These changes primarily impact the overall length of the Exam (meaning the number of questions in the Quant and Verbal sections as well as the amount of time that you’ll have to complete each of those two sections). In theory, a shorter Exam could make it easier for a well-prepared Test Taker to score higher. Unfortunately, Official practice CATs in the new 'format' don't exist yet - but once they become available, you should plan to take one (so that we can get a better sense of how you perform under these new conditions).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Nervousness on Quant Section; Need Advice   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2018, 11:13

Nervousness on Quant Section; Need Advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR APRIL
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until April 30
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap