It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 34

Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 23:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:42) correct 26% (02:03) wrong based on 211 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers (ISP) cannot partition their bandwidth such that different types of Internet communications have different maximum bandwidth capacities. For example, an ISP cannot relegate high bandwidth voice-over-IP (VoIP) traffic to a separate tunnel in an attempt to ensure that users of low-bandwidth functions such as plain-text email are not slowed down by the high-bandwidth users. Some individuals support implementing Net Neutrality on the principle that one group (i.e., users of high-bandwidth services) should not be effectively penalized for the actions of another group (i.e., users of slow-bandwidth services, who have a special traffic lane carved out for them, thereby slowing high-bandwidth users).

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument of the supporters of Net Neutrality mentioned above?
A) The jobs of many high-bandwidth users require these individuals to use high-bandwidth services.
B) Placing no restrictions on the bandwidth of individuals who use high-bandwidth services would force ISPs to purchase massive amounts of expensive additional bandwidth, disproportionately increasing the price of access for low-bandwidth users.
C) A strong and well respected lobbying firm recently revealed it has been hired by large telecommunications firms to oppose Net Neutrality on the grounds that it infringes upon a private company's ability to do business.
D) One country that mandated Net Neutrality saw a decrease in satisfaction of Internet users.
E) A recent court ruling upheld the principle that technology companies cannot discriminate in whom they serve or how they serve users.

Explain this. Will post OA later.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!

Last edited by Priyank38939 on 14 Jul 2015, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 34

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 6

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
Re: Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 01:46
This post received
KUDOS
B is the only option that makes any sense to me... Somebody please explain this? :|

In the pursuit of a better GMAT score. You can help me by giving me kudos if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 6

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [4], given: 9

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V29

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 03:59
This post received
KUDOS
Priyank38939 wrote:
Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service providers (ISP) cannot partition their bandwidth such that different types of Internet communications have different maximum bandwidth capacities. For example, an ISP cannot relegate high bandwidth voice-over-IP (VoIP) traffic to a separate tunnel in an attempt to ensure that users of low-bandwidth functions such as plain-text email are not slowed down by the high-bandwidth users. Some individuals support implementing Net Neutrality on the principle that one group (i.e., users of high-bandwidth services) should not be effectively penalized for the actions of another group (i.e., users of slow-bandwidth services, who have a special traffic lane carved out for them, thereby slowing high-bandwidth users).

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument of the supporters of Net Neutrality mentioned above?
A) The jobs of many high-bandwidth users require these individuals to use high-bandwidth services.
B) Placing no restrictions on the bandwidth of individuals who use high-bandwidth services would force ISPs to purchase massive amounts of expensive additional bandwidth, disproportionately increasing the price of access for low-bandwidth users.
C) A strong and well respected lobbying firm recently revealed it has been hired by large telecommunications firms to oppose Net Neutrality on the grounds that it infringes upon a private company's ability to do business.
D) One country that mandated Net Neutrality saw a decrease in satisfaction of Internet users.
E) A recent court ruling upheld the principle that technology companies cannot discriminate in whom they serve or how they serve users.

Explain this. Will post OA later.

Conclusion to Weaken - Net neutrality(NN) => ISP cannot partition their bandwidth such that diff communication are allotted different bandwidth.
Counter premise - One group should not be penalized for the actions of other group.

Gap - however implementing NN will not allow a bandwidth separation between high end users and low end users, therefore this will adversely affect the users of low bandwidth users. It is like a paradox, if we allow separate tunnel for high end users avoiding NN this will ensure equal non-disrupted usage to all, however this is a kind of discrimination which is necessary to prevent low bandwidth users from the effect of users of high bandwidth

A) - It says MANY low end users also sometimes become high end users. Since, its return Many and not all so there must be some users left who will be affected.

B) - This clearly shows a discrimination towards low end users thus weakening the supporters and suggesting NN shouldn't be implemented.

C) - Out of scope

D) - We are not considered with the total number of users , again Out of Scope

E) - We are not discriminating against any user. This is will actually strengthen NN, hence opposite.

Clearly the answer is (B)

Kudos [?]: 10 [4], given: 9

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 231

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 13:00
option B breaks the link between the conclusion(high-bandwidth services should not be penalized for the actions of low-bandwidth services group) and the premise (information regarding cost of bandwidth distribution)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 231

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1359

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 08:43
No need to read everything.

C,D,E are out of scope.
B is better than A.

There is only one premise and one conclusion, both must have sth to do with the band-width. That's it.

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1359

Re: Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2017, 08:43

Net Neutrality stipulates that Internet service

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap