GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New GMAT experience with disappointing score - GMAT 2018 Real Questio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
New GMAT experience with disappointing score - GMAT 2018 Real Questio [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Mar 2018, 10:19
Hello All and Experts;

I took my GMAT yesterday dated 10th of March. I got very disappointing score for the third time. I don't know actually what is the problem. I spent 3 months of dedicated and intensive study. I was studying almost 9 hours per day, ending up with 490 !!! with just 20 points increase over the old score. So this means that if I want to get an extra 200 points I have to study for at least 30 Months !!!!.

I want to share my experience, asking for help.

28th of August 2016 First Real GMAT Total score : 420 Q: 38 V: 12 AWA: 5 IR:3
30th of October 2016 Second Trial Total Score : 470 Q:42 V: 15 AWA: 4.5 IR:4
10th of March 2018 Third trial Total Score: 490 Q:40 V: 19 AWA:N/A IR: 3

Before the last trial , I was studying almost 9 hours per day even more, 7 days per week for 3 months.
As you see my verbal score hits my score every time so I started with the verbal this time. solving more than 800+ sentences in sentence correction section with difficulty level 600-700, I reached the level where I could tell what is the correct answer without seeing the rest of answer choices.

My Moc scores are as below before the last real exam"490" ; the scores are in order ;

London Business School Free CAT :- 550-590
Veritas Prep 1: -500
Veritas Prep 2: -540
Veritas Prep 3: -470 " I wasn't able to be fully focused in this one
Veritas Prep 4: -540
GMAT Prep EP1:- 550
GMAT Prep EP2:- 620 for both exams 5 & 6 " I solved all GMAT prep CATs a year ago, but when I started to resolve them I didn't recall either questions or solutions " So I believe that this an accurate prediction"

Materials used :
Quantitative : Gmatclub
Verba: Official Guide 2017

I paid till now an amount of "$785"
My targeted score is 600+ , I don't need 680+ . My targeted score is not that high so that I couldn't reach it after a long time of preparation. I am very sad and disappointed.

GMAT real experience and some of questions I can recall :-

The exam became harder from my point of view
Please I need your advice, I won't give up my dream, but at the same time I spent efforts with no rewards. Please let me know from where should I start and what should I do.

Thanks alot.

Veritas Prep2: - 540

Originally posted by ahmed.abumera on 11 Mar 2018, 03:03.
Last edited by bb on 12 Mar 2018, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Removed references to real exam questions
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: New GMAT experience with disappointing score - GMAT 2018 Real Questio [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 03:41
Hi,

I think that GMAC still keeps its algorithm. The problem is your performance.

Note that when you took EP2, even that you "didn't recall either questions or solutions", this is your feeling, not the truth. The truth is that once you take a question, you will remember the way to solve that. In the future, if you face this question again, you will quickly get the correct way to solve that question. Thus, be careful to take a test many times.

I think that an effective way to boost up your score is to improve your Verbal score because your Verbal score is too low. There are many useful posts that provide some ways to study Verbal section. Try to search them.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Intern
Intern
B
Re: New GMAT experience with disappointing score - GMAT 2018 Real Questio [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 04:58
broall wrote:
Hi,

I think that GMAC still keeps its algorithm. The problem is your performance.

Note that when you took EP2, even that you "didn't recall either questions or solutions", this is your feeling, not the truth. The truth is that once you take a question, you will remember the way to solve that. In the future, if you face this question again, you will quickly get the correct way to solve that question. Thus, be careful to take a test many times.

I think that an effective way to boost up your score is to improve your Verbal score because your Verbal score is too low. There are many useful posts that provide some ways to study Verbal section. Try to search them.

Thanks a lot , your advice is appreciated. Definitely, I have to start again working on verbal. I'll keep searching until I arrive at an adequate strategy to tackle this part.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 11:41
Hi ahmed.abumera,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your last 2 Official GMAT results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 480 +/- a few Scaled Score points), so even though you took those 2 Tests almost 1.5 years apart, you continue to respond to the GMAT in the same general ways. Raising a 480 to a 600+ will likely take at least another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Considering how long you've been studying, it's possible that you've developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits').

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used for each of your 3 attempts?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 21:28
I strongly suspect that to score decently in verbal you need to be reasonably consistent across the three types of question. So if you're good at SC and rubbish and RC and CR then your SC talent won't help you raise your score much.

You need to go back through the OG verbal questions and make sure you do them online via Wiley. It's a lot easier to read stuff on paper vs the computer screen. It's very important to keep an error log so you understand where you're going wrong.
I tried verbal questions from OG, veritas, gmatclub and Princeton Review. I would recommend the latter book as things are quite well explained and the questions of decent quality
I think many people do 10-30 points worse in the actual exam vs OG mock. I underscored by 20 points the first time.

For CR reasoning, first I read the question to identify the question type, then I read the passage twice, then find the reasoning flaw/assumptions and decide what kind of answer im looking for. Only then do I look at the answers. This allows for very quick elimination of incorrect answers.

It's also helpful to write out a set of ABCDE. Cross out eliminated answers and make a little squiggle above the letter for maybe answers and a tick for yes answers

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: New GMAT experience with disappointing score - GMAT 2018 Real Questio   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2018, 21:28

New GMAT experience with disappointing score - GMAT 2018 Real Questio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap