GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 08:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

New product development rules in Kimono dictate the marketing departme

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Erasmus (S)
GMAT 1: 470 Q28 V27
GMAT 2: 470 Q32 V23
GMAT 3: 550 Q32 V32
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Entertainment and Sports)
New product development rules in Kimono dictate the marketing departme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Mar 2020, 08:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:25) correct 41% (01:46) wrong based on 209 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

New product development rules in Kimono dictate the marketing department to gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', allowing them to create a product that is easy to sell.

A) The marketing department to gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', allowing them to

B) That the marketing department gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', and allow it to

C) The marketing department gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', allowing it to

D) That the marketing department gathers a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', and

E) That the marketing department gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', allowing it to

Originally posted by KingAdam44 on 31 Mar 2020, 07:37.
Last edited by KingAdam44 on 31 Mar 2020, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: New product development rules in Kimono dictate the marketing departme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 08:34
KingAdam44 wrote:
New product development rules in Kimono dictate the marketing department to gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', allowing them to create a product that is easy to sell.

A) The marketing department to gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', allowing them to

B) That the marketing department gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', and allow it to

C) The marketing department gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', allowing it to

D) That the marketing department gathers a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', and

E) The marketing department gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', allowing it to

Shouldn't there be "that" in option E?
"New rules dictate the marketing department gather"
vs
"New rules dictate that the marketing department gather"

We can not have a clause without a "that" in my opinion.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Erasmus (S)
GMAT 1: 470 Q28 V27
GMAT 2: 470 Q32 V23
GMAT 3: 550 Q32 V32
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: New product development rules in Kimono dictate the marketing departme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 08:41
shameekv1989 wrote:
KingAdam44 wrote:

E) The marketing department gather a prioritized set of customer needs through 'voice of customer', allowing it to

Shouldn't there be "that" in option E?
"New rules dictate the marketing department gather"
vs
"New rules dictate that the marketing department gather"

We can not have a clause without a "that" in my opinion.

Yes! My bad, I was typing a bit too quickly ☺️
I have just corrected answer choice E :)
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2020, 07:35
Is "Department" Plural or Singular collective noun?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2020, 07:03
Laksh47 wrote:
Is "Department" Plural or Singular collective noun?
Hi Laksh47,

Department is singular, but after dictate that, we would like to use the plain (infinitive) form of the verb.
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2020, 10:27
Please verify if the given OA is correct
Tutor
D

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2020, 13:42
Laksh47 wrote:
Please verify if the given OA is correct

Hello, Laksh47. I would agree with (E), and only (E), in the revised set of answers. The rules dictate that something, and, as AjiteshArun explained above, the infinitive form of gather should follow, regardless of a singular or plural subject within the clause. Consider both cases:

a) The rules dictate that people gather whatever they can find.

b) The rules dictate that a person gather whatever he or she can find.

If you did not make it this far, I could see going for (D) possibly, but then there is a problem with the comma + conjunction and. That combination should be used to separate independent clauses (or more than two items in a list), but neither (B) nor (D) presents a second independent clause in allow it to create a product... or create a product.... Where is the subject of the second clause in either case? Thus, there should be no comma preceding and, and we are left with (E).

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2020, 01:42
VeritasKarishma...

Can you please tell me what is the difference between answer choice B & E. Isn't parallelism necessary in this question?.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2020, 23:16
aniket2045 wrote:
VeritasKarishma...

Can you please tell me what is the difference between answer choice B & E. Isn't parallelism necessary in this question?.

No, 'gather' and 'allow' will not be parallel.

New rules dictate that the M dept gather customer needs ... and allow it to ...

When can they be parallel?
The rules can dictate the dept to gather something and can dictate the dept to allow something to someone else.
Who is 'it' in option (B)? Presumably the M dept. Then it doesn't make sense.

The rules dictate that the M dept gather ... and the rules dictate that the M dept allow it to ... - incorrect
So option (B) is not correct.

"allowing it to ..." is the effect of gathering customer needs. So we use is at the end of the clause with a comma and present participle. It modifies the entire preceding clause.

New rules dictate that the M dept gather customer needs ..., allowing it to ...

The gathering of customer needs allows the M dept to create a product that is easy to sell.

Read about present participles here: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/1 ... -the-gmat/

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: New product development rules in Kimono dictate the marketing departme   [#permalink] 05 May 2020, 23:16

New product development rules in Kimono dictate the marketing departme

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics