GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 16:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

New to the Forums/GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
New to the Forums/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 16:54
Hi all,

I'm new here so just wanted to share some first impressions of the GMAT from my perspective and try and get some tips from you guys.

So I have been toying with the idea of doing GMAT for about a year now. I always wanted to go back into tertiary education, hence the GMAT made sense. Anyway I came across this website, and specifically the study guide by the founder bb. So today after work I did the diagnostic test as recommended and scored 530. Q36 V27 IR3. I was quite disappointed with that score as i'm normally quite good at these sort of cognitive/Logical/Numerical Reasoning tests.

Anyway I have a Economics/Statistics background and really want to nail my quant score, just i've forgotten a few things from undergrad - long division by hand, quadratic graphs, prime numbers, isosceles triangles (lol). Going through the website & online, there are a vast aray of study materials/courses, its somewhat overwhelming.
I have decided I will do self study offline, and I'm trying to decide on books, problem is I don't know whats good, whats full of crap, whats been given fake reviews, who's getting commission where etc (GMAT seems like big business!)

Also once I get the books how do you go about tackling them, ie wouldn't read every page surely? I have roughly 12 weeks and 12-15 hours per week (10 on weekends). Ideally i want to get my quant to mid 40's, (need to get the sufficient questions right) before I start on the verbal. Not really sure where I can get unbiast book oppinions so I will ask you guys to help.

Also the AWA I could do with some help on as essays are my weakest area.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: New to the Forums/GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 21:34
Hi Kdoug18,

To start, a 530 is a solid initial CAT Score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Since you have not clearly defined your Score Goal, it's not clear whether a 'book heavy' study approach is actually the best one for you. That having been said, many Test Takers who use a book heavy approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. In addition, even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

Goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) What is your Official Test Date?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 23:28
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Kdoug18,

To start, a 530 is a solid initial CAT Score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Since you have not clearly defined your Score Goal, it's not clear whether a 'book heavy' study approach is actually the best one for you. That having been said, many Test Takers who use a book heavy approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. In addition, even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

Goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) What is your Official Test Date?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. Ad I was saying there's a mix between some of the basics I know and some stuff I've forgot for quant.

For the verbal I think I mainly need a lot of practice on breaking down each of the different styles of questions. Especially the SC.

1. Ideal score is 710-730, although I of course will aim for 800

2. No date booked as of yet, I went online and my local test centres have availability for tomorrow, however looking at 1st week in July at present.

3. NUS programme closes 2nd week of July I believe so would apply end of 1st week, for a Jan start. Rest would be starting autumn 2019 I believe so would apply around sept/Oct 18.

4. Looking mainly at NUS MSc Management at present, will also maybe apply for NTU & HKU, however would also consider some UK unis (where I'm from) such as Warwick, LSE, etc..
I have just under a years work exp and will be applying for Msc level.

Hope that helps,
Regards

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 12:46
Hi Kdoug18,

With an early July Test Date, you have a little over 3 months of potential study time - which is good. That having been said, raising a 530 to a 710+ will almost certainly require at least another 3 months of study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. In addition, you want to make sure that you've given yourself enough time to work on your application(s) - so you might need to set aside some time for those activities while you're studying.

Regardless of which study materials you choose to use, I suggest that you actually do 'some Quant and some Verbal' each week (as opposed to the "all of one, then all of the other" that you're thinking about). You'll likely find it easier to retain everything overall if you're working on a mix of GMAT subjects. Given your Score Goal and timeframe, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led), so you should plan to look into the available options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 12:51
Kdoug18 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here so just wanted to share some first impressions of the GMAT from my perspective and try and get some tips from you guys.

So I have been toying with the idea of doing GMAT for about a year now. I always wanted to go back into tertiary education, hence the GMAT made sense. Anyway I came across this website, and specifically the study guide by the founder bb. So today after work I did the diagnostic test as recommended and scored 530. Q36 V27 IR3. I was quite disappointed with that score as i'm normally quite good at these sort of cognitive/Logical/Numerical Reasoning tests.

Anyway I have a Economics/Statistics background and really want to nail my quant score, just i've forgotten a few things from undergrad - long division by hand, quadratic graphs, prime numbers, isosceles triangles (lol). Going through the website & online, there are a vast aray of study materials/courses, its somewhat overwhelming.
I have decided I will do self study offline, and I'm trying to decide on books, problem is I don't know whats good, whats full of crap, whats been given fake reviews, who's getting commission where etc (GMAT seems like big business!)

Also once I get the books how do you go about tackling them, ie wouldn't read every page surely? I have roughly 12 weeks and 12-15 hours per week (10 on weekends). Ideally i want to get my quant to mid 40's, (need to get the sufficient questions right) before I start on the verbal. Not really sure where I can get unbiast book oppinions so I will ask you guys to help.

Hi Kdoug18,

12 weeks is good enough to achieve a good score. Its a good thing you have taken a practice test. You now know your weaknesses and can work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course.

If you want to go for offline course, you can try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here are some links that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 14:27
Top Contributor
Kdoug18 wrote:
Hi all,

Kdoug18 wrote:
So on my last post I explained I did a cold GMAT diagnosis test and scored 530 Q36 V27. IR3. Now looking at starting my studying and getting a course. Main issue is trying to waive through the bs online and come to a conclusion on what course will benefit me the most, even on here there are biases. Need to make an informed decision based on my aim to hit 700 & my timeframe of 3 months. 10-15hours per week.

I think an online course will be the most useful (preferably adaptive?), however again i'm struggling to decide which is best and the prices are quite varied too. Also think I may get 1 or 2 books if I am particularly struggling in one area a month or so down the line ie CR/SC.

Given my target score, timeframe, current diagnosis what would you recommend to me, or how can I make an informed decision about what works best for me? I have forgotten a few basic maths concepts ie prime factors, long division, quadratic equation etc, but at the same time I dont want to spend hours going through basics of stuff that is just a waste of time, ie.. what is a fraction, simultaneous equations etc. Also somewhat interested in a good strategy particularly for the verbal reasoning and AWA.

I will as a first point buy the official books as they are widely recommended across the board and I have been advised to use those questions as a base. I could spend hours trying to decide on a good course of action but I would rather start with the studying. I also think I will trial some of the online courses.

I've looked at bb's 3 month guide but again could use some pointers down what sort of approach to take. Also some of the courses are quite expensive, not really looking to spend more than £200

Regards

Waiving through all the online bs is all about filtering out what works for you. Which style works for you? Sometimes you don't know yourself until you try.

With online courses - each person learns differently. We use a very visual and think out loud approach that many of our students like. There are other approaches out there - ultimately, you have to see what works best for you.

We do invite you take a look at these sample videos:
http://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

http://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

You can learn more about GMAT Pill at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials

Get started with some practice questions here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/
The questions are free but a paid membership is required for video explanations.

Enjoy!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: New to the Forums/GMAT &nbs [#permalink] 30 Mar 2018, 14:27

New to the Forums/GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap