GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 19:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Why Do YOU Need an MBA?

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Download Why MBA and learn how to determine your MBA goals and weave them into a compelling essay!

Newbie in GMAT. Profile eval.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.45
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Newbie in GMAT. Profile eval.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 05:53
Hello!

I'm an Indian female engineering graduate, currently working as a Digital Marketing Analyst / Data Analyst in a reputed IT products company in Chennai, headquartered in the US. I'm 29 months into this job, right after my under grad. I'm also working part-time for my NGO/NPO which is a registered one, for the past 4 years. I'm the Founder and President of it. We've done quite some commendable programs over these years. I also have some decent extra curricular that I did well during college and held leadership roles. Received 2 awards - "Best Student Award" (State level, recommended by my University) and "Seva Ratna Award" (for my contribution to the city). Also worked as a free-lance writer during college. Coming to my acads part of my profile, it's bleak I must say. 85.6, 78.25 & 69.4 in 10th, 12th and under grad respectively.

My last attempt in CAT (MBA entrance test in India) was a serious one (CAT 2017) but I failed miserably compared to my mock tests and scores. But prep wise I did well this time which was evident through my tests. Yet the D day was totally not mine for some abstract reasons that I cannot justify.
I've got calls from the New IIMs, just like last year (for CAT 2016) when I cracked the interviews and got admits to all of them. The interview is on 27th of Feb 2018. After that, the final admit results would be some time around end of May. I am contemplating a plan of taking the GMAT by say May start. So by the end of the month I'd know if I should give up on IIM Ranchi (if I get selected), assuming I cross a target score in GMAT.

I'd like to finally land up (if not for now, at least after MBA) at countries like the Nordics, Germany, France, Netherlands and Canada. The kind of streams of MBA that I want to go for are: general, marketing, strategy, and sustainability, in decreasing order of priority. Also, I'm stumbling upon some prep and practice tests (OG/GMAC for now). Getting a full score in PS and SC with a difficulty level of 2.0 and above. I need to seriously work on CR and RC. Kind of improving. My essays are not great yet. I can get LORs from scholars in Finland, one of my professors at college and a Civil service officer (In India) who's a mentor for my NGO.

With all this said, what should be my target score, strategy, plan, timeline, realistic options and the like?

TIA.

P.S: My under grad score worries me a lot!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Newbie in GMAT. Profile eval.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 08:53
Hi there! Thanks for posting, and welcome to the GMAT world :-) Good to get started soon, as it does take many applicants several months to achieve their target score. I would focus on that between now and May. Most schools won't release their applications til May or June for fall deadlines, so you can focus primarily on GMAT til then. As far as what score to target, it depends a lot on which schools you are targeting. Once you've identified a list of initial target schools, find out what their median GMAT scores (this should be readily available online) and aim to be above that (since your grades are not great -- by the way, undergrad is all that b-schools look at, not 10th/12th). But a good generic target for top schools (in raw scores) is 35 verbal, 47 quant, 6 IR.

Take a look at some of the MBA programs in Europe and Canada -- if you are interested in working in those areas then schools there will have the best job placement rates. The Financial Times ranking is a good place to start to identify target schools: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

Otherwise I think your profile is really interesting -- especially your NGO/NPO work, that's impressive. Given that you're fairly early in your career, have you been promoted? Have you had significant leadership roles? Any international exposure? If so, then highlight those things in your materials.

One final note on recommendation letters -- typically MBA programs want professional recommendations, not academic ones, and ideally one should come from your current supervisor (if possible). I think your mentor from the NGO would be a great option too.

Best of luck!
Kate

gayathrikeerthanas wrote:
Hello!

I'm an Indian female engineering graduate, currently working as a Digital Marketing Analyst / Data Analyst in a reputed IT products company in Chennai, headquartered in the US. I'm 29 months into this job, right after my under grad. I'm also working part-time for my NGO/NPO which is a registered one, for the past 4 years. I'm the Founder and President of it. We've done quite some commendable programs over these years. I also have some decent extra curricular that I did well during college and held leadership roles. Received 2 awards - "Best Student Award" (State level, recommended by my University) and "Seva Ratna Award" (for my contribution to the city). Also worked as a free-lance writer during college. Coming to my acads part of my profile, it's bleak I must say. 85.6, 78.25 & 69.4 in 10th, 12th and under grad respectively.

My last attempt in CAT (MBA entrance test in India) was a serious one (CAT 2017) but I failed miserably compared to my mock tests and scores. But prep wise I did well this time which was evident through my tests. Yet the D day was totally not mine for some abstract reasons that I cannot justify.
I've got calls from the New IIMs, just like last year (for CAT 2016) when I cracked the interviews and got admits to all of them. The interview is on 27th of Feb 2018. After that, the final admit results would be some time around end of May. I am contemplating a plan of taking the GMAT by say May start. So by the end of the month I'd know if I should give up on IIM Ranchi (if I get selected), assuming I cross a target score in GMAT.

I'd like to finally land up (if not for now, at least after MBA) at countries like the Nordics, Germany, France, Netherlands and Canada. The kind of streams of MBA that I want to go for are: general, marketing, strategy, and sustainability, in decreasing order of priority. Also, I'm stumbling upon some prep and practice tests (OG/GMAC for now). Getting a full score in PS and SC with a difficulty level of 2.0 and above. I need to seriously work on CR and RC. Kind of improving. My essays are not great yet. I can get LORs from scholars in Finland, one of my professors at college and a Civil service officer (In India) who's a mentor for my NGO.

With all this said, what should be my target score, strategy, plan, timeline, realistic options and the like?

TIA.

P.S: My under grad score worries me a lot!

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 06:10
Thank you very much, Kate! I had posted a reply on the same day but missing it now. So here's some more insight.

Work: qualitu and performance per se I've done quite well. I've been recently promoted as a lead. I've represented my company at Dubai in a trade show. Does that count as a substantial international exposure?

And when it comes to recommendations, my manager would give a letter but as a practice they don't encourage it. Kind of retention-centric company. So I don't think his letter could be strong enough. We work with Google teams in CA. The team knows me in a professional level. Will their letters speak enough?

And I did a bit if research about the schools. IE, IESE, Esade, HEC, SDA Bocconi and Cambridge are my likely targets. In your analysis, do you think I should take out any of these because it's quite long shot for my profile?

Sent from my SM-J710F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 11:53
Good to hear back from you! That's great you've been promoted. I think the experience in Dubai helps and is worth mentioning too (probably a bullet on your resume).

Regarding recommendations, that's understandable, and as long as the teams in CA have close enough knowledge of your work, I think that will work instead. You likely will need to include a brief explanation (in the optional essay) of why your direct manager is not able to write one.

Those sound like great schools to target too.

Good luck!

Thank you very much, Kate! I had posted a reply on the same day but missing it now. So here's some more insight.

Work: qualitu and performance per se I've done quite well. I've been recently promoted as a lead. I've represented my company at Dubai in a trade show. Does that count as a substantial international exposure?

And when it comes to recommendations, my manager would give a letter but as a practice they don't encourage it. Kind of retention-centric company. So I don't think his letter could be strong enough. We work with Google teams in CA. The team knows me in a professional level. Will their letters speak enough?

And I did a bit if research about the schools. IE, IESE, Esade, HEC, SDA Bocconi and Cambridge are my likely targets. In your analysis, do you think I should take out any of these because it's quite long shot for my profile?

Kate Richardson
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 23:49
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Good to hear back from you! That's great you've been promoted. I think the experience in Dubai helps and is worth mentioning too (probably a bullet on your resume).

Regarding recommendations, that's understandable, and as long as the teams in CA have close enough knowledge of your work, I think that will work instead. You likely will need to include a brief explanation (in the optional essay) of why your direct manager is not able to write one.

Those sound like great schools to target too.

Good luck!

Thanks again! So how about 2 letters - a short one from my manager and a strong one from the Google team?

Also, I'd like to know about your programs on admissions help.

G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 10:29
Yes you will need 2 letters for most schools and having one (even if short) from your manager will still be helpful, and avoid any concern about why your manager is not recommending you. You'll just need to make sure it's not too short, and doesn't raise any red flags, or else it may do more harm than good. By working with a consultant like us, you could have us review the draft recommendations and make sure there are no red flags.

You can check out info on our admissions services here: https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/services

Or feel free to PM me or sign up for a phone consult with me (https://www.mbamission.com/consult/) if you have any questions or are ready to get started.

Thanks!
Kate

Thanks again! So how about 2 letters - a short one from my manager and a strong one from the Google team?

Also, I'd like to know about your programs on admissions help.

Kate Richardson

Newbie in GMAT. Profile eval.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap