Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Newbie needing help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Anwhite4,

You've named some highly competitive Schools, so a strong GMAT score will be a 'must.' In addition, you'll need a strong OVERALL profile AND you'll need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual School that you apply to.

You could still have a reasonable shot at the Round 3 application deadlines for these Schools, but you'll need to be really 'efficient' with your studies going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32847 [1]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anwhite4 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm Ashley. New to the GMAT, and have been studying using the OG guide 2018 (since mid September). Took my first practice test using GMATprep software and scored 310. Dedicated two hours each day after work and about four on the weekends and took my second practice test mid October, only a 10 point improvement. ? So I felt was studying in vain. What I can't understand is that I love English (native) and have always performed well, but on the GMAT, it doesn't show. Math, on the other hand, not my favorite subject, but I've done well as long as the concept is explained. What I noticed on the second practice test is that I knew the a version of the math concept, but it tested the d version and I was like ?. I felt so lost and defeated because I'm good at English or so I thought (majored in Journalism, content creator). I dislike standardize tests for this reason, but I'm trying to change my mind around the GMAT as a means to an end. Also, I have a notebook or notes that I review concepts and formulas.

I just recently signed up for Magoosh, am completing a trial of the Economist (which I took this practice test and still same score), and a couple Kaplan webinars as I got back to studying during Thanksgiving. (I've been reading through the GMAT forums since Sept. too.) Took a little break to let myself breathe and visit schools, but now I'm ready to improve and be dedicated. Any advice to getting me to 650? I had hopes of taking the examine at the end of December when I started back in September, but that isn't going to happen, but I would like to take in mid to late January. Is that realistic? Did I provide enough information? When is it going to click?

Strategies

Start with Quant, learn the concepts tested on GMAT. After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice. You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT. 1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal. When completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice. Take full lenght CATs, know your estimated score. Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best Books

1. Manhattan GMAT Quant Guides
2. Manhattan GMAT Verbal guides
or Aristotle Verbal Guide for CR critical reasoning bible is best book with 300+ pages of comprehensive Data

Best Mocks

1. Official GMAC (50+50$)
2. Manhattan GMAT (49$)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2852 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM