GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 09:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

No accountant at Merge Company is an executive, but all the executives

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
No accountant at Merge Company is an executive, but all the executives  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Sep 2018, 03:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:01) correct 35% (01:52) wrong based on 141 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

No accountant at Merge Company is an executive, but all the executives at the company graduated from Blesston College, and every Blesston graduate is female.

Each of the following must be true on the basis of the statements above EXCEPT?

(A) Every Merge Company executive is female.

(B) Most Blesston graduates are not accountants.

(C) There are no male executives at Merge Company.

(D) Some Blesston College graduates are not accountants.

(E) Some females are not accountants.

Source- Powerscore Bible

Originally posted by csaluja on 19 Jun 2017, 14:01.
Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Sep 2018, 03:14, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: No accountant at Merge Company is an executive, but all the executives  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 14:47
csaluja wrote:
No accountant at Merge Company is an executive, but all the executives at the company graduated from Blesston College, and every Blesston graduate is female.

Source- Powerscore Bible

Please give me a "kudos" if you liked this question

Dear csaluja,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, Powerscore gives fabulous preparation for the LSAT. This question here looks a lot like an LSAT Logical Reasoning question, but it doesn't really resemble the format of a GMAT Critical Reasoning question.

I have the Powerscore GMAT & LSAT books and I can't find this question. To me, it seems that the slam-dunk answer is (A).
Given: If someone is an executive at Merge company, that person graduated from Blesston College.
Given: If someone graduated from Blesston College, that person is a female.
The statements (If P, then Q) and (If Q, then R) combine to yield (If P, then R).
Conclusion: If someone is an executive at Merge company, that person is a female.
Or, in other words:
Every Merge Company executive is female.

I would say that the OA clearly is (A), but you have the answer (B) listed. Did you copy this correctly from the source? Do you actually know the source, including page number, in the print book?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: No accountant at Merge Company is an executive, but all the executives  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 14:51
mikemcgarry wrote:
csaluja wrote:

Source- Powerscore Bible

Dear csaluja,

My friend, Powerscore gives fabulous preparation for the LSAT. This question here looks a lot like an LSAT Logical Reasoning question, but it doesn't really resemble the format of a GMAT Critical Reasoning question.

I have the Powerscore GMAT & LSAT books and I can't find this question. To me, it seems that the slam-dunk answer is (A).
Given: If someone is an executive at Merge company, that person graduated from Blesston College.
The statements (If P, then Q) and (If Q, then R) combine to yield (If P, then R).
Conclusion: If someone is an executive at Merge company, that person is a female.
Or, in other words:

I would say that the OA clearly is (A), but you have the answer (B) listed. Did you copy this correctly from the source? Do you actually know the source, including page number, in the print book?

Hey Mike,

It says which ones are true EXCEPT :) Maybe you missed that.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 15:59
akshayk wrote:
Hey Mike,

It says which ones are true EXCEPT :) Maybe you missed that.

Dear akshayk,

Thank you, my friend. I was so concerned with looking for the source of this question that I did miss that.

We want to find the one that isn't true.

So, since every Merge Company executive is female, we know (A) is true. That can't be the answer.
We also know that "There are no male executives at Merge Company." We know that (C) is true, so that can't be the answer.

No accountant is an executive--there's no overlap between these two groups. That's big.

We know some Blesston College graduates are executives, so they are not accountants. We know (D) is true, so that can't be the answer.
We know that some females are executives, so they are not accountants either. We know (E) is true, so that can't be the answer.

All four of those must be true. The only one that doesn't have to be true is (B)--we actually have no way to decide on the truth value of (B).

Thus, (B) is the answer to the EXCEPT question. Again, this has the feel of an LSAT LR questions, but not of a GMAT CR question.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 16:52
mikemcgarry wrote:
csaluja wrote:

Source- Powerscore Bible

Dear csaluja,

Or, in other words:

Hi Mike,

The source is PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible 2015 Edition. This question is listed on Page 28.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 19:40
I'm usually fast at these types of quant-related CR, but when it comes to a typical CR question, its lengthy and wordy stimulus just confuse me. Quite sad that these types are not GMAT-like, but rather LSAT questions. But that's okay, when we join a game, just accept its rules.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 20:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: No accountant at Merge Company is an executive, but all the executives &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2018, 20:39

No accountant at Merge Company is an executive, but all the executives

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap