It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 01:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No Work-ex -- MS or MBA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

No Work-ex -- MS or MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2007, 06:45
I would be completing my graduation next year, and plan to go to a school -fall 08..
Now, the problem is that I have no work ex, only some interns..I don't know of how much value...
Hopefully, I will score good in my GMAT, and other Academic Background is good...

Is it possible to get into a good school for MBA or MS? (for something related to commerce, like..finance, IB, management..etc.)

I have heard that even good Schools offering MS programs, sometimes don't require work experience (more in the U.K.)...is this true??

Thanks a lot for the help.
Cheers to GmatClub!

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 646 [0], given: 210

Re: No Work-ex -- MS or MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2007, 07:06
MS in Finance would be 'easier' to get into without much experience, however you really ought to investigate more and determine what *exactly* you wish to do post the qualification.

good luck.

aditya007 wrote:
I would be completing my graduation next year, and plan to go to a school -fall 08..
Now, the problem is that I have no work ex, only some interns..I don't know of how much value...
Hopefully, I will score good in my GMAT, and other Academic Background is good...

Is it possible to get into a good school for MBA or MS? (for something related to commerce, like..finance, IB, management..etc.)

I have heard that even good Schools offering MS programs, sometimes don't require work experience (more in the U.K.)...is this true??

Thanks a lot for the help.
Cheers to GmatClub!

Kudos [?]: 646 [0], given: 210

Intern
Intern

Re: No Work-ex -- MS or MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2007, 23:08
bsd_lover wrote:
MS in Finance would be 'easier' to get into without much experience, however you really ought to investigate more and determine what *exactly* you wish to do post the qualification.

good luck.

Hmm..Thanks for the information.

Well, what I plan to do is -- get a Masters Degree..then work for 2 years or so, and then get an MBA.

This is why I am looking at a Masters Program, that does not require, or does not give much importance to Work Ex..

Thanks a tonne for the help. :)

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2007, 23:16
I don't think my Master degree gave me a leg up in the admissions process. It did make a big difference when changing jobs prior to the MBA though, and in that sense was worth it. Not that you asked, but I think having worked a few years made a huge difference in that first degree also. I had done a great deal of what was covered and could see how all the new stuff fit into the business and would be helpful to know. A lot of it would have been useless theory otherwise.

In short, if you're doing it to achieve a specific career goal prior to MBA, I'd always recommend it. If you're looking to pad your application, go knit wool caps for homeless kids.

Intern
Intern

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2007, 09:46
Don't do an MS because you think you can't get in for an MBA. Do an MS only if you believe the specific knowledge gained would benefit you most for the first few yrs after the degree. Quite a number of applicants get admission into an MBA program(even the top ones) straight from undergrad but you really need to sell yourself in your application & interview and your application has to be well put together.

The admissions people may not expect you to have managed teams like someone who has worked for some yrs but they need to see a track record of leadership potential in your school activities, extracurricular activities and internships .You also have to be clear about your goals and why an MBA now.

[#permalink] 09 Aug 2007, 09:46