GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 02:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

[MSc Fin] No working experience - what schools can I aim for?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
[MSc Fin] No working experience - what schools can I aim for?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 09:48
Hi guys,

I’m a current undergraduate in Singapore, studying at the National University of Singapore. I will be obtaining a Bachelors in Engineering (Hons) -Chemical Engineering upon graduation, with an expected first class, and am interested in pursuing a Masters in Finance upon graduation. Unfortunately, I have no prior finance-related internships at all, and am curious what schools I can realistically aim for (interested in the UK only, due to personal preference).

Expected Degree: First Class Honours
GMAT Score: 770 (50 Quant, 44 Verbal, 6 AWA, 8 IR)

I am also a recipient of a scholarship, have held leadership positions and done various volunteering work as well as certain finance related extracurriculars, but none are internships, which seems like it will put a noticeable dent in the application.

I have taken and completed online financial courses (Breaking into Wall Street) and have certifications for basic proficiency in data science with regard to machine learning (Numpy, scikit).

Would appreciate any inputs, thanks.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: [MSc Fin] No working experience - what schools can I aim for?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2018, 06:14
Congrats on that GMAT score, this will be your most valuable asset.

Lack of internship exp is definitely your drawback.

But you already know it yourself, you need to clearly state why you want to do the MFIN, and mention some things that you have done to actively increase your knowledge about the field.

What I would recommend you, is to take the CFA exam level 1. This is an indication that you are 100% serious about your decision and career. Plus, by taking the exam, you would automatically know more than 80% of your class that studied economics/bus adm for +4years.

But, even without the CFA, I would advise you to apply for all the schools you want in London! Just because of your strong profile. But with 770 + CFA, you have almost automatically an invitation to study at LSE
Intern
Intern
[MSc Fin] No working experience - what schools can I aim for?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2018, 20:30
Anthonydh wrote:
Congrats on that GMAT score, this will be your most valuable asset.

Lack of internship exp is definitely your drawback.

But you already know it yourself, you need to clearly state why you want to do the MFIN, and mention some things that you have done to actively increase your knowledge about the field.

What I would recommend you, is to take the CFA exam level 1. This is an indication that you are 100% serious about your decision and career. Plus, by taking the exam, you would automatically know more than 80% of your class that studied economics/bus adm for +4years.

But, even without the CFA, I would advise you to apply for all the schools you want in London! Just because of your strong profile. But with 770 + CFA, you have almost automatically an invitation to study at LSE

Thank you for your advice, I'm certain that luck played a part in my GMAT score on that day. :-)

With regards to the CFA, I do understand the conveyance of the seriousness about my decision in the financial sector, but given that the exams are in June, which is way after the application deadlines are over (no way I'm going to pass the one this December), will the mention of the application for the exam itself lend much weight to the university application? Besides this, cost is an issue as well. But I'll definitely consider it.

Thanks again for giving a little hope.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: [MSc Fin] No working experience - what schools can I aim for?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 23:13
Hey there,

As you mentioned, lack of financial experience would be a disadvantage in your application.
You have not mentioned why you want to shift to finance - If you wish to change streams, schools will be interested to know the reason behind it.
Your essays will play a crucial role in helping you justify your reasons for this switch - So make sure that you spend enough time on them.

Otherwise your profile looks good - You have certain quantifiable achievements, have held leadership positions and your GMAT score is pretty impressive as well.

Remember that Adcoms are interested in impact created, not just participation.
So make sure that you highlight your achievements well.

I would strongly suggest getting some certifications or internships to build a better profile for MFin.

Some schools you can look at would be LBS MFA, LSE, Imperial, Cass, UCL

You can also look at the MiM and enter Finance through the same.

You can check out our services to see how we can help you better
https://www.mim-essay.com/masters-finan ... y-editing/

Abhyank Srinet
Founder at http://www.MiM-Essay.com

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

Get consultation from graduates of HEC, ESCP, ESSEC, LBS & Duke

Feel free to message me, if you have any MiM/MSc. related questions or want a detailed Free profile evaluation

Re: [MSc Fin] No working experience - what schools can I aim for? &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 23:13

[MSc Fin] No working experience - what schools can I aim for?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap