GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 13:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Non-native Gmat SC- Manhattan or e-Gmat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Non-native Gmat SC- Manhattan or e-Gmat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2015, 00:52
Hi,

Background- I have just joined the club and have just started my prepration for the GMAT a few days back. I plan to write my gmat in end of June 2015. I have completed most of the quant and about to start Verbal prep.

Considering that I am a non-native English speaker, I need advice as to what resources should I use for SC and RC.
My SC and RC are really weak :( (according to the diagnostic test) and since i plan to give gmat after around 45 days. What should I refer to?

I see many people suggesting MGMAT SC as the best book but Since I am non native speaker, should I even read MGMAT or should I skip it and directly buy e-Gmat or something else? Since I have not started any SC and RC prep as of now, what would be the best option for SC?

Please help !
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Non-native Gmat SC- Manhattan or e-Gmat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 16:14
priya4gmat wrote:
Hi,

Background- I have just joined the club and have just started my prepration for the GMAT a few days back. I plan to write my gmat in end of June 2015. I have completed most of the quant and about to start Verbal prep.

Considering that I am a non-native English speaker, I need advice as to what resources should I use for SC and RC.
My SC and RC are really weak :( (according to the diagnostic test) and since i plan to give gmat after around 45 days. What should I refer to?

I see many people suggesting MGMAT SC as the best book but Since I am non native speaker, should I even read MGMAT or should I skip it and directly buy e-Gmat or something else? Since I have not started any SC and RC prep as of now, what would be the best option for SC?

Please help !

Dear priya4gmat,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's a good blog article for getting started:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-im ... bal-score/

As for resources, here's a list of the best resources available:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/best-gmat ... rces-2015/

The MGMAT books are hard, but they are the very best books in print on GMAT SC. You may have to read them multiple times to get everything you need, but that would be well worth it. Read them, and do a LOT of outside reading: that's my recommendation.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 11:45
Hi priya4gmat,

I'm curious to know if you've taken a full-length practice exam. While it's great that you've identified verbal as a weak area, taking a practice exam under the same time constraints/conditions you'll experience on test day will do two things: 1) give you a baseline score and 2) help you narrow your study plan down to the specific areas/question types you should be focusing on most.

Best,
Rich

Rich
http://econgm.at/KvjVSi
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 06:31
As a non-native speaker you should strongly consider working on your foundations first. We have a Foundations of Verbal book that will really help you out (I'm sure there are other good ones out there). Becoming proficient with the basics will make it much easier to understand the strategy guides.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 09:39
Both resources are very detailed but different. I would strongly recommend e-GMAT SC because it is much more based on logic than on Grammar rules whereas Manhattan SC will teach you a lot more grammar. I did Princeton Review (completely Useless), Manhattan SC (spent 10+ days but could not complete it) and e-GMAT SC (spent 12 days and completed it). As a non-native, I had difficulty remembering so many rules but was right at home with meaning approach in e-gmat course. The initial chapters of MGMAT SC are very good but it gets too technical after that.

I also like the audio visual style over reading a book. I think that it is much more effective. You dont have you force yourself to focus as much.
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2015, 13:02
Hi priya4gmat,

Wondering if you have any updates on your progress here. Also, I'd like to remind you that Economist GMAT Tutor is a great resource to help you improve in all facets of the GMAT, but its adaptive technology will also cater your study plan to your specific needs. Here's a link to try it for 7 days: http://bit.ly/1aKYX0U

Best,
Rich

Rich
http://econgm.at/KvjVSi
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IE '18, Mannheim
GPA: 3.9
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2015, 13:08
RichEconomistGMAT wrote:
Hi priya4gmat,

Wondering if you have any updates on your progress here. Also, I'd like to remind you that Economist GMAT Tutor is a great resource to help you improve in all facets of the GMAT, but its adaptive technology will also cater your study plan to your specific needs. Here's a link to try it for 7 days: http://bit.ly/1aKYX0U

Best,
Rich

Hi all,

How Can I improve my SC? I have both studied verbal foundation and sc by manhattan. However, results are not satisfactory when it comes to solve SC questions...What else should I do to eradicate this problem?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 07:17
mrslee wrote:
How Can I improve my SC? I have both studied verbal foundation and sc by manhattan. However, results are not satisfactory when it comes to solve SC questions...What else should I do to eradicate this problem?

Hi! Our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me know your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send across that chapter to you by mail.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 02:49
priya4gmat wrote:
Hi,

Please help !

Go for e-gmat SC, complete the course in 10-15days.
Re: Non-native Gmat SC- Manhattan or e-Gmat   [#permalink] 08 May 2017, 02:49

Non-native Gmat SC- Manhattan or e-Gmat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap