Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 01:56 It is currently 11 May 2024, 01:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3675 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Non-native speaker looking for 700 GMAT in 3 months [#permalink]
GMATPill:

Thanks for your advice. I will take it into my consideration.

Rich:

Thanks for the information. I will definitely download those free CAT practice tests soon.

I have a follow up question regarding course selection. If I decide to go for a 9-month regular course, I estimate that I will only have about 3 additional weeks to review all the materials. I am assuming by taking an accelerated course, I will have around 1.5-2 months to review everything by myself from the beginning. Do you think 3 weeks of self-study following a prep course will be sufficient for the exam?

Anyways, I will post my CAT scores as soon as I am done with them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PSUGrad2016,

You ask a fair question - unfortunately, nobody here knows you well enough to answer it for you. Considering the other option that you listed... after rushing through an accelerated 4-week course, you would also have to question if you'd properly learned anything - so would 2 months be enough time to 'start over' and learn everything that you need to learn to score at a high level? If you're studying properly, then you wouldn't need that much review "at the end" of your studies to be ready to score at a high level.

Until we have an initial score result to work with, there's no way to properly define what exactly you'll need - so you should plan to take that FULL CAT sometime soon and report back here. We discuss your options once we have some data to work with.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PSUGrad2016,

I wanted to weigh in on your second question regarding which Kaplan verbal books would be worth buying for your studies. The Verbal Foundations would be a good book to use in the beginning because it walks through grammar that is tested on the GMAT in Sentence Correction questions. The Premier 2017 is a great choice for a second book because it will allow you to review content and learn methods and strategies for all question types on the GMAT and practice them with an online quiz bank and practice CATs. You mentioned feeling like you have strong math skills, so I would like to point out that there is an Advanced Math section of the book that is new for the GMAT Premier 2017.

You also asked for free resources, so here is the link to find upcoming free Kaplan GMAT sample classes and practice tests: https://www.kaptest.com/gmat/enroll?tab=events

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Best,
Jennifer Kindy
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16670 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

Since you’re not a native speaker, we would like to recommend aiming at V35. There are decent prep companies that can help you achieve the score.
In order to achieve 700, it is an ideal combination to hit Q49 and V35. In order to hit Q49 or above, you need to learn how to solve questions with quickness and accuracy within 75 minutes.
However, with the conventional method, you might hit 45, but hitting more than 45 is extremely difficult and time consuming. In contrast, with Variable Approach of DS and IVY Approach PS from our course, you can solve questions with quickness and accuracy and surely hit at least 49 or above. On top of that, learning CMT(Common Mistake Types) 3 and 4 helps you to score 50-51. To help you accomplish that, we would like to recommend our course “All-In-One 51”. You can take the course for 1, 3 or 6 months. For you, All-In-One 51 for 3 or 6 months seems adequate.

If you’re interested, please register our course. After registration, you can receive a free mock test and if you register now, you can get 1 more as an event.

We also have a 7-day money back guarantee, a risk-free purchase. You can cancel anytime within 7 days.

Please try Trial Pack (97 videos - 4 hour lesson) that reveal our secret approaches of DS+PS core theory that you have never seen. You can test whether you like them or not before you enroll.

Additionally, below are two useful articles featured in GMAT Club for your reference. This will be helpful for you.

· Ultimate Q51 Guide : the-ultimate-q51-guide-209801.html
· Most Updated Math Trend : overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html

Happy Studying!
Math Revolution Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
PSUGrad2016 wrote:
Hi all. I am new to GMAT and was wondering the best way to score 700 in 3 months.

A little bit information about my background. I am a recent accounting/finance graduate from a public university in the United States. I came to the States for the first time in 2011 from a country in Southeastern Asia. My first language is not English and I technically started learning English when I was in 10th grade. Although I knew some basic English words before 10th grade already, the first time I learned English grammar was in 10th grade. When I first came to the States as a college freshman, I really struggled with English. Since then I made tons of American friends and I felt my English, especially my listening and speaking skills, had significantly improved. I like watching movies and listening to music. I found out those two were the most effective ways to improve my English, especially with idioms and slang. By expanding my understandings, not only in formal English, but also in slang and idioms, I could communicate better with people on campus. However, I do not have good reading and writing habits since I describe myself as a visual learner. For example, I prefer watching movies than reading novels. Throughout college, I have never had any significant issues while writing papers or reading exam questions; however, I realized that GMAT is a completely different realm. I am worried that my so-so reading and writing skills may yield issues on GMAT. I recently started reading at least 10 different news from publications like USA Today and NY Times everyday and I hope this will improve my reading skills.

I plan to enroll in an MBA school in Fall 2017. Since I am currently on summer break and will not start my full time job until mid September, I would like to use my free time to study for GMAT. My goal is to schedule an exam in early September before I start working. I am thinking about signing up for an accelerated MGMAT online course at the end of this month. Before signing up for the course, I would like to ask some GMAT experts whether my study plan makes sense. The questions I have are as follows:

1. Is it fine if I sign up for a 4-week accelerated course instead of a regular 9-week course based on my limited exposure to GMAT and my okay reading skills? FYI I plan to study for 6 hours per day everyday.
2. I would like to focus more on the verbal part since it seems I have quite strong math skills. My professor in school recommended me to buy Kaplan verbal books. I plan to buy some and read them before my MGMAT online course starts. Which Kaplan verbal books do you recommend me to buy?(Workbook/Foundation/Premier 2017) I am looking for the best cost and benefit trade-off.
3. Are there any other free sources that I can utilize for now such as free verbal and quantitative materials or free simulations? I would like to know my current GMAT score so I can better monitor my progress later.

Thank you and I appreciate your help.

Why don't you take a diagnostic test first to see where you stand?
GMAT Club Bot