Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 05:02 It is currently 15 May 2024, 05:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1461 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2776 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Not enough time during GMAT [#permalink]
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I knew that I can't leave questions inbetween. I meant the last remaining questions (e.g. the last 3-4 questions)

I already started using an error log and it's great! Thanks!
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2776 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Octavian65 wrote:
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I knew that I can't leave questions inbetween. I meant the last remaining questions (e.g. the last 3-4 questions)

I already started using an error log and it's great! Thanks!

That's great, you will get used to hang onto it and solve question within time frame. :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4003 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi Octavian65
Please remember the following timings for GMAT Quantitative section: -
First 15 minutes (Time remaining 47 minutes) - Question no 8
Next 15 minutes (Time remaining 32 minutes) - Question no 16
Next 15 minutes (Time remaining 17 minutes) - Question no 24
Last 17 minutes (Time remaining 0 minutes)- Question no 31
I am assuming 32 questions to be answered in 62 minutes in GMAT quantitative section.
If you run out of time in each section of time above, please guess but don't deviate too much from your planning. In this way, you will not have to guess in last few consecutive questions.

Hope this helps!

Octavian65 wrote:
Hey everyone, i have a question regarding time during the GMAT.

I am now studying for a couple of weeks, and should do the GMAT test by September i think (i still have to register my appointment, my testday). My question is what I should do during the GMAT, if I don't mange to answer all questions. Suppose I only answer 32 of the 37 quant questions, and got 1 minute left or 2. Should I just click one of the 5 options in the upcoming questions or is it better to leave them unsolved, because of the risk of minimizing my score?

Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Octavian65 wrote:

I am now studying for a couple of weeks, and should do the GMAT test by September i think (i still have to register my appointment, my testday). My question is what I should do during the GMAT, if I don't mange to answer all questions. Suppose I only answer 32 of the 37 quant questions, and got 1 minute left or 2. Should I just click one of the 5 options in the upcoming questions or is it better to leave them unsolved, because of the risk of minimizing my score?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Octavian65,
Almost everyone faces such problems while they are going through the prep. I have seen that its a severe punishment if you don’t attempt all the questions. Please go through the following articles for reference -

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... nt-part-3/

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22221 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Octavian65,

If you leave any questions unanswered at the end of any section you will be penalized. Thus, make sure that you have all questions answered (even if you have to guess) by the time the section ends.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 1696
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Simon '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Octavian65 wrote:

Thanks a lot.

Quant section contains of 31 questions that you need to complete in 62 minutes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11684 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Octavian65,

Based on your question, have you taken any practice CATs/mocks yet? I ask because the current version of the GMAT includes 31 Quant questions and 36 Verbal questions (the 'old' version of the Exam had 37 Quant questions and 41 Verbal questions). If you have taken some practice CATs, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? If you have not taken any yet, then you should plan to take one soon (perhaps this weekend). You can access 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. Once you have your Score, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

To answer your initial question though, any questions that you do not physically answer are penalized (and the penalty is worse than if you had simply gotten them wrong). As such, you MUST make sure to answer all questions in each section.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Not enough time during GMAT [#permalink]
Hi Rich!
I made a mistake not taking a practice CAT in the beginning but I did one on Saturday. Unfortunately i scored only 440 V17 Q34. I know I now have to focus on verbal. This is why I am starting tomorow with 5 days intensive verbal training and tracking and every day + max 2h of quant daily. I'd like to take another practice CAT on friday or saturday to see how I have done and which weaknesses I still have.
Actually on 17th of July I am taking a kind of GMAT test for a private school here in Germany - however they told me they only need a 500 score, which I think I can reach until then,
My Goal is actually somthing around 650s until beginning of september. This would be for another school which I would primarily want to go to (first one is more like a plan B).
And I have already applied for both schools and waiting for the (hopefully) positive response from both of them (they allow sending the GMAT score until October because of some virus called covid-19, they said :think: :D )

P.S. I have been studying for maybe 2 weeks, and did the whole og 2017 quant review (300 exercises) and a couple verbals from the OG 2016 review before taking the practice CAT.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11684 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Octavian65,

With a V17, you would have lost significant points in ALL 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR) - so some focused Verbal study over the next week will likely help you to pick up some points in that section. That having been said, raising a 440 to the point that you can consistently score 650+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. If you have until October to submit your GMAT Score, then that gives you a nice block of potential study time (a little over 3 months), but you'll have to be really efficient with your studies going forwards to hit your Goal Score in that timeframe.

I suggest that you study as you like for the next week. Once you've taken your next practice CAT, you should post back here and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich, thanks for your answer. I will post back here at the end of the week :)

And the deadline for sending the gmat to the uni is middle october, which means I should take the GMAT no later than middle / end of september.
GMAT Club Bot