It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 19:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU-Stern vs. Michigan-Ross vs. Emory-Goizueta ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which one should I choose?

• 15% [2]
  • 61% [8]
  • 23% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: 318 Q154 V164
GPA: 3.5
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
NYU-Stern vs. Michigan-Ross vs. Emory-Goizueta ($$) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 15:04
Hi All,

I've been fortunate enough to have been accepted to Stern, Ross, and Goizueta (with a 40% scholarship). My post-MBA goal is to break into the high-technology space (as a product manager) from a consulting background (though I do have experience managing a tech startup as well).

Ross and Stern definitely have an edge in tech recruiting. Both have major tech companies (e.g. Microsoft, Dell, Amazon) that recruit on-campus, offer solid product management courses, as well as the opportunity to take programming/computer science electives outside of the business school. Ross appears to have a larger pull with tech recruiters, however; upon visiting, I met several Ross MBA1s that already had PM internships at Microsoft, Dell, Google, and Amazon. I didn't meet students who had similar placements during my visit at Stern, but this could just be my experience. Microsoft (one of my dream companies) is also a top Ross recruiter and Ross is a cheaper program than Stern.

Stern is in NYC (the city of my dreams) and would give me the urban campus experience that I've always dreamed of (my undergrad was in a rural college town). Although Stern doesn't have MAP, NYC is akin to one big action-based learning experience, as the opportunities to work and consult for tech companies (larger and small startups, alike) are endless. I'm also passionate about African development and may want to do business in Africa at some point, and I believe that Stern may do a better job in helping me do so; for instance, Stern's African Business Club is larger and seems to be more active/engaged. It also appears that NYU as a whole has a better 'global' brand name than U-Michigan, but this could be pure speculation.

Now, there's Emory-Goizueta...a great intimate business school in the heart of Atlanta (the city in which I was born and raised). Goizueta is the cheapest of all three programs and they generously offered me a 40% scholarship. I would save a lot of money by going to Goizueta (especially because I could move in with my parents), but their program doesn't have a strong tech focus. They do have a Tech Association and tech treks to San Francisco (as many b-schools do), but I don't know of major tech companies that recruit at Goizueta. One thing that is great about Goizueta, though, is that their career coaches are extremely hands-on, as it is a small program, so I am sure that with their support and some extra hard-work on my end, I could land the internship and full-time position of my dreams. My only concern here is that I would be missing out on a top-tier b-school experience from Stern and Ross.

The question really is, are Stern and Ross worth the money? And if so, which of the two would be my best bet?

As background, I'm 25 years of age and I don't have a lot of savings. I'd be taking out loans for my b-school education and I am already ~28k in debt from undergrad. Although I don't have any dependents, the thought of being 200k+ in debt scares me. Goizueta would really help offset my costs. Any thoughts on what I should do?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: NYU-Stern vs. Michigan-Ross vs. Emory-Goizueta ($$) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations on the great admits! And I love your detailed write-up.. gives a good picture of what you want and where you're coming from.

Firstly, I think you should go to either Ross or Stern over Emory, as I feel the upside in brand value, classmates experience, and recruiting opportunities will be worth the extra $$. If Emory was offering a full ride or something, it may have been worth considering.

Between Ross and Stern, I feel its more of a toss up, specially how you describe it.
- Post-MBA Industry - i feel Ross has an advantage here for you given how good their Tech / PM performance is.
- College Experience - given that you've experienced a rural college town in undergrad, and WANT to experience the big city campus life, NYU is preferred
- Global Reputation - I'm an international living in US, and I definitely agree that NYU brand name goes much further than U of M around the world.. specially among the lay people.

Overall, it feels pretty close given your preferences. Although I personally prefer Ross over Stern (in a hypothetical situation), I think Stern may have a VERY slight advantage over Ross for you.

GMAT Debrief - 770
bb's "The Definitive GMAT Study Plan" - 2016 Edition
Must read forum topics before you start your MBA application

Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: 318 Q154 V164
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 20:00
stoiczoan wrote:
Congratulations on the great admits! And I love your detailed write-up.. gives a good picture of what you want and where you're coming from.

Firstly, I think you should go to either Ross or Stern over Emory, as I feel the upside in brand value, classmates experience, and recruiting opportunities will be worth the extra $$. If Emory was offering a full ride or something, it may have been worth considering.

Between Ross and Stern, I feel its more of a toss up, specially how you describe it.
- Post-MBA Industry - i feel Ross has an advantage here for you given how good their Tech / PM performance is.
- College Experience - given that you've experienced a rural college town in undergrad, and WANT to experience the big city campus life, NYU is preferred
- Global Reputation - I'm an international living in US, and I definitely agree that NYU brand name goes much further than U of M around the world.. specially among the lay people.

Overall, it feels pretty close given your preferences. Although I personally prefer Ross over Stern (in a hypothetical situation), I think Stern may have a VERY slight advantage over Ross for you.

Thank you for your weigh-in; I really appreciate it (especially given that you can speak to international perceptions)! Yeah, it is a pretty close decision. I think I'm leaning Ross, but Stern does have a slight advantage.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Schools: Ross '19 (M)

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
anon12334 wrote:
stoiczoan wrote:

Thank you for your weigh-in; I really appreciate it (especially given that you can speak to international perceptions)! Yeah, it is a pretty close decision. I think I'm leaning Ross, but Stern does have a slight advantage.

As a counter-point to the brand perception - this really doesn't matter all that much. What really matters is the quality of the alumni network as this is mostly where your business connections and jobs will come from, rather than someone who will employ you because they have heard of NYU over U of M. I would also look to get some concrete numbers from both schools with regards to tech PM recruiting & how many people went into actual PM positions, as a lot of schools will advertise that people went to Google but it might be in corporate finance.
Re: NYU-Stern vs. Michigan-Ross vs. Emory-Goizueta ($$)   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 07:33

NYU-Stern vs. Michigan-Ross vs. Emory-Goizueta ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap