GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 12:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Posts: 159
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 06:11
1
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:02) correct 56% (02:40) wrong based on 89 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one digit repeating?

a) 134
b) 135
c) 136
d) 142
e) 148

Source: Expert's global practice tests
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58340
Re: Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 06:22
3
1
JackMasterNone wrote:
Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one digit repeating?

a) 134
b) 135
c) 136
d) 142
e) 148

Source: Expert's global practice tests


Three-digit number can have only following 3 patterns:
A. all digits are distinct;
B. two digits are alike and third is different;
C. all three digits are alike.

We need to calculate B. B = Total - A - C

The number of three-digit numbers which are greater than 500 is 499 (from 501 to 999, inclusive).
A. all digits are distinct = 5*9*8 = 360 (first digit can have only five values 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9);
C. all three are alike = 5 (555, 666, 777, 888, 999).

So, 499 - 360 - 5 = 134.

Answer: A.

Similar questions:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 28853.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 27390.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 35188.html

Hope it helps.
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Posts: 35
Location: India
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.8
CAT Tests
Re: Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 08:17
i did it in a different way
so whatever the number will be , it will be (multiple of 5) -1
because in each series we will have 600, 700, 800,900 but not 1000,
only 134 is that kind of number

did it in 30 seconds

Hit kudos if u like it
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Re: Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 08:42
lifeforhuskar wrote:
i did it in a different way
so whatever the number will be , it will be (multiple of 5) -1
because in each series we will have 600, 700, 800,900 but not 1000,
only 134 is that kind of number

did it in 30 seconds

Hit kudos if u like it


This won't work if all options were in the form 5n -1

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2014
Posts: 1222
Re: Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 09:24
1
Bombsante wrote:
Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one digit repeating?

a) 134
b) 135
c) 136
d) 142
e) 148

Source: Expert's global practice tests


three ways:
xxy
xyx
yxx
3(5*9*1)=135
135-1 (for 500)=134
A
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 136
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 00:11
Bunuel wrote:
JackMasterNone wrote:
Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one digit repeating?

a) 134
b) 135
c) 136
d) 142
e) 148

Source: Expert's global practice tests


Three-digit number can have only following 3 patterns:
A. all digits are distinct;
B. two digits are alike and third is different;
C. all three digits are alike.

We need to calculate B. B = Total - A - C

The number of three-digit numbers which are greater than 500 is 499 (from 501 to 999, inclusive).
A. all digits are distinct = 5*9*8 = 360 (first digit can have only five values 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9);
C. all three are alike = 5 (555, 666, 777, 888, 999).

So, 499 - 360 - 5 = 134.

Answer: A.

Similar questions:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 28853.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 27390.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 35188.html

Hope it helps.


hi, Is there any way which doesn't subtract unfavorable cases and directly count favorable cases? I know the above one is the best efficient but want to know other possibility as well.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 03 Jun 2019
Posts: 1689
Location: India
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 04:29
Bombsante wrote:
Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one digit repeating?

a) 134
b) 135
c) 136
d) 142
e) 148

Source: Expert's global practice tests


Asked: Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one digit repeating?

Numbers can be of form = {abb, bab, bba}

Form abb;
a = {6,7,8,9} = 4 ways
b = {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} except digit a = 9 ways
Total numbers = 4*9 = 36 numbers
Let us take a = 5
b = {1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9} = 8 ways
Total numbers = 36 + 8 = 44 numbers

Form bab;
b = {5,6,7,8,9} = 5 ways
a = {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} except digit b = 9 ways
Total numbers = 5*9 = 45 numbers

Form bba;
b = {5,6,7,8,9} = 5 ways
a = {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} except digit b = 9 ways
Total numbers = 5*9 = 45 numbers

Adding all cases = 44 + 45 + 45 = 134 numbers

IMO A
_________________
"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts."

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Kudos encourage active discussions.

My GMAT Resources: -

Efficient Learning
All you need to know about GMAT quant

Tele: +91-11-40396815
Mobile : +91-9910661622
E-mail : kinshook.chaturvedi@gmail.com
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 03 Jun 2019
Posts: 1689
Location: India
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 04:38
1
nkhl.goyal wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
JackMasterNone wrote:
Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one digit repeating?

a) 134
b) 135
c) 136
d) 142
e) 148

Source: Expert's global practice tests


Three-digit number can have only following 3 patterns:
A. all digits are distinct;
B. two digits are alike and third is different;
C. all three digits are alike.

We need to calculate B. B = Total - A - C

The number of three-digit numbers which are greater than 500 is 499 (from 501 to 999, inclusive).
A. all digits are distinct = 5*9*8 = 360 (first digit can have only five values 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9);
C. all three are alike = 5 (555, 666, 777, 888, 999).

So, 499 - 360 - 5 = 134.

Answer: A.

Similar questions:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 28853.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 27390.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 35188.html

Hope it helps.


hi, Is there any way which doesn't subtract unfavorable cases and directly count favorable cases? I know the above one is the best efficient but want to know other possibility as well.


nkhl.goyal
Please see my solution and suggest any changes.
_________________
"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts."

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Kudos encourage active discussions.

My GMAT Resources: -

Efficient Learning
All you need to know about GMAT quant

Tele: +91-11-40396815
Mobile : +91-9910661622
E-mail : kinshook.chaturvedi@gmail.com
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 136
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 05:15
hi, Is there any way which doesn't subtract unfavorable cases and directly count favorable cases? I know the above one is the best efficient but want to know other possibility as well.[/quote]

nkhl.goyal
Please see my solution and suggest any changes.[/quote]


Yes, I was looking the same.

For 1st part :
Form abb;
a = {6,7,8,9} = 4 ways
b = {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} except digit a = 9 ways
Total numbers = 4*9 = 36 numbers
Let us take a = 5
b = {1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9} = 8 ways
Total numbers = 36 + 8 = 44 numbers

You can directly do this. a = {5, 6,7,8,9} = 5 ways, b same as yours.
Total numbers = 5*9 = 45, but here 500 is included so remove that. So, total 45-1 = 44
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2019, 05:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of the three digit numbers greater than 500, how many have exactly one

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne