Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Re: Off topic: Audi R8 2008 [#permalink]
Okay I take the bathtub thing back. ;)

No offense intended. I just don't think the Elise is that pretty. And it is a small car.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Diesel, Diesel, Diesel!!!

river, if you get the Diesel rabbit, do let me know how it is. I'll wait for the Diesel A4 in 09. :)

Someday I'll have the R8.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Diesel, Diesel, Diesel!!!

river, if you get the Diesel rabbit, do let me know how it is. I'll wait for the Diesel A4 in 09. :)

Someday I'll have the R8.

We will see if they even show up here on time. Might end up with the jetta sportwagon if they dont bring the rabbit over. I couldnt justify the cost difference at this point between an A4 and a VW...same engine, tranny, all that stuff. Unless I could afford an S or RS version. Though I do find the A3 much more attractive than the rabbit but not for the 40% price premium.
Current Student
Send PM
branson wrote:
Okay I take the bathtub thing back. ;)

No offense intended. I just don't think the Elise is that pretty. And it is a small car.

Ha, none taken. Cars are a very polarizing issue. I've heard much worse at stoplights...you have to have thick skin to drive a Lotus!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
We will see if they even show up here on time. Might end up with the jetta sportwagon if they dont bring the rabbit over. I couldnt justify the cost difference at this point between an A4 and a VW...same engine, tranny, all that stuff. Unless I could afford an S or RS version. Though I do find the A3 much more attractive than the rabbit but not for the 40% price premium.

Actually, I did a calculation of fitting a VW Passat (same frame as A4) with the same things that go into an A4, and the A4 was only slight more expensive ($29K vs $31K or something similar). The big difference is, the Passat 4Motion is *not* the same as the Quattro (some mechanical engineering explanation that I don't fully understand), where the Quattro is a better designed AWD system when you hit slippery surfaces.

I don't know about the A3, but personally I don't find the hatchbacks that attractive. I'm more of a sedan person (unless it's the Mini Cooper).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
Irishfan wrote:
Solaris: I actually live in the western suburbs of Chicago, so it'll live at home while I make the commute to Hyde Park. It's such a fragile car, I really hesitate to drive it downtown. If anyone's curious, I'm actually picking up a Smart Fortwo for the commute!

Also, this is probably as good of a time as any to mention to any GSB people...I currently belong to a league racing series at Chicago Indoor Racing, an indoor karting facility. I'm going to be trying my hardest to get a GSB team together to participate in next year's league season. Check it out at https://www.chicagoindoorracing.com.

I would love to join such a team if I get into Chicago (and that's a big if - still waiting for interview). If I have to sell my motorcycle this summer, I'll need to get the adrenalin rush from elsewhere :)

I love the Smart car. It's so popular in EU countries where practically every 3rd person seems to be driving one. I don't think it will help in cities like NYC, but it is great for dense urban ones like Chicago or San Franscisco.
Current Student
Send PM
svrider - Cool! What kind of bike?

Endurance teams are typically groups of five or so. Also, I guess I shouldn't limit it to just GSB for CIR good times...would anyone at Kellogg be interested in a karting league next Fall/Winter?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Dude, you have an elise and you are going to drive a @!(#!# Smart Fortwo instead?

Me shakes head. Thats like a banker driving a datsun.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Ha, I think the Smart is a great car in its own right. Funny thing is, it still weighs more than a Lotus!

Also, I kind of have a car sickness...once I pick up the Smart in the Fall, we'll have 4 cars between my wife and I - her Accord, and an IS350 (our "compromise" car, since she can't drive stick). The biggest appeal of the Smart is that I'll be able to fit them all in our garage! Plus, I need something cheap, durable, and efficient.

Re: the Tesla...awesome car, but 100 grand? Personally, I don't see the value.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
4 cars? WTF do you do for a living?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
Irishfan wrote:

Endurance teams are typically groups of five or so. Also, I guess I shouldn't limit it to just GSB for CIR good times...would anyone at Kellogg be interested in a karting league next Fall/Winter?

I've had a Suzuki SV650 since 2001. Always wanted a Ducati but the insurance was ridiculous. Now that I can afford it, I don't have as much time to enjoy riding.
4 cars - that's quite a garage! My wife & I are planning to downsize from 2 if we move.

p.s. i guess my nick is self-explanatory now :)

Originally posted by svrider on 06 Feb 2008, 16:47.
Last edited by svrider on 06 Feb 2008, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
exactly.

rhyme wrote:
4 cars? WTF do you do for a living?
Current Student
Send PM
Nah, it's just a 3-car one. The Lotus should be able to fit behind a Smart (I measured)!

What do I do for a living? Uh, nothing special...consulting. Probably the reason we can afford these guys is my wife and I both have decent-paying jobs, as it stands. Plus, we don't really live extravagantly and have a cheap mortgage (cheaper than paying rent in the city, for sure). Another thing to consider is, since we don't live in the city, we're not partying downtown every weekend. Most of the guys I work with spend at least $400 each weekend going out. It's all about priorities, I guess.

Of course, once school starts, it's a whole new ballgame. I thought long and hard about selling a car, but...like I said, it's a sickness. :oops: I figure with all the money I'll be saving living in the burbs (she can cover all our expenses on her salary, and I'm on her insurance plan), we'll make it through. So....BBQ at my place? :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Irish I am sure us Kellogg guys would be able to get a go kart league going...though I havent raced before I would be game.
Current Student
Send PM
svrider wrote:
Irishfan wrote:

I've had a Suzuki SV650 since 2001. Always wanted a Ducati but the insurance was ridiculous. Now that I can afford it, I don't have as much time to enjoy riding.
4 cars - that's quite a garage! My wife & I are planning to downsize from 2 if we move.

p.s. i guess my nick is self-explanatory now :)

Ducatis are my dream bikes! The Suzuki isn't exactly a slouch, either! That's awesome that your wife understands...mine WILL NOT let me touch a motorcycle. I hear there's no better fun to be had on the road or track. Color me jealous.

River, awesome! Before you make the move, you should check out an indoor karting place in your area...they're all across the country, and there's no better/safer/cheaper way to experience wheel-to-wheel competitive racing than in a kart!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
go kart is SUPER FUN... but beware, I was SORE for 2-3 days afterwards in the shoulder area... That thing takes a LOT of strength!

But I did finish #1 in my group, my first (and only) time, hee hee. :P

oh yeah, and now I'm addicted to "tracking" (bringing my car to a track) my Audi at the Audi club events... going March 1-2 for another one in Monterey.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3