Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.78
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Official GMAT Review Book Quant Problems and Difficulty Mix [#permalink]
I was able to get a 750 with 50Q, 41V. Making sure you have the basics down and can do the first few easy problems in <30 seconds is helpful. It all comes down to how quickly you can dissect the problem. For the ones that are taking you 5 minutes, are you struggling with setting the problem up? Actually solving the problem? Checking your answer? Once you identify what is taking most of your time, you can work on that aspect.

If you were able to get 49Q in a practice test, there's no reason you can't get 50 / 51Q on the actual exam (assuming you took the practice test under exam-like conditions).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi EFTW,

If you took the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), in a realistic and test-like fashion, then you're remarkably close to your score goal right now. The 'tough' part is that, at this scoring level, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes - so if you make too many of them, you just won't be able to hit a 750+. With your Scaled Scores, you also don't have an obvious 'weak spot', so your missing points are likely due to procedural mistakes that you're making (not taking enough notes, doing work 'in your head', etc.). As such, you don't need to practice 'hard' questions, you need to fix the little mistakes that you're making. I suggest that you start with your last CAT and take a good look at every question that you got wrong - ask yourself WHY you got it wrong and what you could have done differently to get it correct. It might be that there are some 'easy' fixes to your situation; it's also possible that you'll need to invest in some new resources and learn some new tactics.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thecheftony wrote:
I was able to get a 750 with 50Q, 41V. Making sure you have the basics down and can do the first few easy problems in <30 seconds is helpful. It all comes down to how quickly you can dissect the problem. For the ones that are taking you 5 minutes, are you struggling with setting the problem up? Actually solving the problem? Checking your answer? Once you identify what is taking most of your time, you can work on that aspect.

If you were able to get 49Q in a practice test, there's no reason you can't get 50 / 51Q on the actual exam (assuming you took the practice test under exam-like conditions).

Thanks for the advice.

Mostly both. Dissecting problem takes too long and solving it takes to long. The question that are #160 above are difficult... sometimes I cant even figure a easy way of solving it and take the long route.

thecheftony wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

Mostly both. Dissecting problem takes too long and solving it takes to long. The question that are #160 above are difficult... sometimes I cant even figure a easy way of solving it and take the long route.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi EFTW,

If you took the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), in a realistic and test-like fashion, then you're remarkably close to your score goal right now. The 'tough' part is that, at this scoring level, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes - so if you make too many of them, you just won't be able to hit a 750+. With your Scaled Scores, you also don't have an obvious 'weak spot', so your missing points are likely due to procedural mistakes that you're making (not taking enough notes, doing work 'in your head', etc.). As such, you don't need to practice 'hard' questions, you need to fix the little mistakes that you're making. I suggest that you start with your last CAT and take a good look at every question that you got wrong - ask yourself WHY you got it wrong and what you could have done differently to get it correct. It might be that there are some 'easy' fixes to your situation; it's also possible that you'll need to invest in some new resources and learn some new tactics.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

it was full CAT. I did skip 1/3 of IR, however.

You are definitely correct. I took 20 easy practice problems and still got 2 wrong... and both for misreading questions.

Appreciate the advice, I will probably spend more time on my verbal score up while fool proofing quants.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
EFTW

If you end up with a score of Q50/Q51, I would say you should expect 8 to 9 difficult problems similar to the ones you referred to from the Official Guide Quant Review.

Dabral

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts