GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 01 Apr 2020, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Official GMAT Test Crashed Halfway Through Verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Official GMAT Test Crashed Halfway Through Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2020, 10:51
Today I had my third GMAT, and it was a horrible experience. Who would have thought that in the year 2020 we would still have malfunctioning test equipment?

I started the exam in the Verbal-Quant-IR-AWA order. About 25 minutes in, everything was going well (I was getting 'in the rhythm') and I had a feeling that this time I would get my target score (I only needed a 20 point improvement over my last GMAT a month ago). Suddenly, my screen disappears and all I see is the blue background screensaver from the computer. Next, the support staff told me to leave the test room. After more than 15 minutes of waiting I was called back into the exam. I lost about 1 to 2 minutes time and I had to re-read a CR passage and answer choices - but even worse, I lost all my concentration. All I could think of was, what are the odds this happens to me?! You can imagine, the next questions didn't go very well.

The support staff told me the crash was a very rare event, however they also had trouble with starting tests today.

Next was quant, which isn't my favorite part of the GMAT. Luckily, the test equipment didn't fail on me for the rest of the test. At the end of the exam I saw my score: 590 Q41 V31. This is just 10 points short of my target score (and only 1-2 right questions 'away' from 600). The worst part of this all is that I do not have the time for a retake because of admissions deadlines.

I am now thinking, what is the best I can do? I already wrote an official complaint to GMAT Customer Support about this situation. With admissions deadlines close, writing about this situation in my application to University will also be a weak story (unbelievable), and they will come back with; 'Why didn't you start your GMAT journey sooner...?'. I was hoping to hit >=600 sooner, but I score a lot lower (+- 100 points) on real GMAT tests in comparison to the GMAT official mocks (the mba.com ones).
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Official GMAT Test Crashed Halfway Through Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2020, 21:13
Hi M1ke,

I'm sorry to hear about the situation that you faced when you took the Official GMAT. That type of 'disruption' would likely have hurt most Test Taker's performances, so you should absolutely follow-up on the complaint that you lodged. After a formal investigation takes place (which often takes 2-4 weeks), you might receive a free (or discount) retest.

In a prior post, you defined how you needed a 600 or higher to properly apply to the Master's Program that interested you - but you also stated that the application deadline was not until May. Is that still the case? I ask because you almost certainly have the skills right NOW to score 600+, so if it would just take a little more time and effort on your part to hit that Score, then you shouldn't give up at this point.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2020, 00:43
I think there is something wrong with my Quant score, please see the screenshot from my ESR. It says I have missed 100% of the questions at the final 1/4 of the exam, I am 100% sure I at least answered one question correctly in the final set (I also did not run out of time, I answered every question). This is insane...
Attachments

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-28 om 09.41.33.png
Schermafbeelding 2020-02-28 om 09.41.33.png [ 110.98 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]

CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2020, 01:27
M1ke wrote:
I think there is something wrong with my Quant score, please see the screenshot from my ESR. It says I have missed 100% of the questions at the final 1/4 of the exam, I am 100% sure I at least answered one question correctly in the final set (I also did not run out of time, I answered every question). This is insane...
Hi M1ke,

That does look very strange. Reach out to them and let them know about this.
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2020, 02:09
AjiteshArun wrote:
Hi M1ke,

That does look very strange. Reach out to them and let them know about this.

Thank you for your response. I have escalated this to GMAC. I hope they can see what is wrong with my exam and respond to me on a short notice.

I feel the Quant section went a lot better than Q41. I have scored anything from Q39 (without prep) to Q46 (with prep) in official mocks, and I had a feeling that this test was going well.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2020, 09:17
Hi M1ke,

I’m sorry to hear about what happened on test day. I think it was a good idea to reach out to the folks at GMAC to see what's going on with your ESR. For sure, let us know what they say once you speak with them.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Official GMAT Test Crashed Halfway Through Verbal   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2020, 09:17

Official GMAT Test Crashed Halfway Through Verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics