It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Older, humanities background, social-sector consulting?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 53

GRE 1: 333 Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Older, humanities background, social-sector consulting? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2013, 11:11
I'm 31, male, 8+ years of work experience in education. I'm a teacher and am a founding faculty member at an independent school that has grown >500% in the six years since we opened. I've held a variety of leadership roles in the school (led teams, directed service program for the entire middle school, planned/led trip to rural China for 92 9th graders) and was part of the curriculum-design team from the beginning. I've created five original courses and have been tapped for other redesign projects by senior administrators. I have realized I don't want to be an administrator and it's time to move on.

I'm looking to transition into social-sector consulting, hopefully for McKinsey or Bridgespan. I can see other consulting work being interesting as well. In the long term, I'm interested in getting into the for-profit education space, as it's a $4 trillion/year industry worldwide.

I have a strict humanities background (undergrad was double major in philosophy/history of math & science) and hold a master's in education. I fall into the highly-verbal/super-analytical camp. My Myers-Briggs is an ENTJ, if that helps.

I know I'm not the typical b-school candidate, and I've heard from some people (a current Darden student, a recent Tepper alum, etc) that certain schools like HBS/Kellogg/Darden are more friendly to humanities folks, while schools like Haas/MIT/Booth might not be.

Is there truth to this? I want to make sure I'm targeting schools that are a good fit for people like me, and that I'm not missing out on potentially great programs. I'm currently looking at HBS/Darden/Kellogg/UCLA/maybe Stanford. Where else should I be looking? Should I take any schools off my list?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 53

Older, humanities background, social-sector consulting?   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2013, 11:11

Older, humanities background, social-sector consulting?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap