Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Booth R1, Tuck, Ross
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: On campus interview or off campus alumni intervew? Plz help! [#permalink]
mjb's points are good. Every school says they don't weight on-campus vs. off-campus any differently, so it's more a matter of whether you want to roll the interview in with a visit to the campus, class visit, etc.

FWIW, I interviewed off campus with alums for Haas and UCLA and got accepted by both with scholarships, so neither one penalized me too much for being relatively close yet still choosing off campus. I interviewed off campus with an alum for Kellogg--I'm still waiting to hear results from their adcom, but I don't see it as hurting me at all. I don't plan to travel to HBS if offered an interview there either. A pre-application visit would have been helpful for my "why HBS/why Kellogg" essays, but since I wasn't able to visit before R2 deadlines I didn't see much use in trying to plan visits around interviews.

I'll save my money in case I get accepted by HBS/Kellogg and want to visit the campuses (campii?) before making a decision on where I'm going, but I don't see any reason to visit either school right now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I interviewed off campus since I had already previously visited Booth for a Booth Live event. My alumni interviewer was friendly and professional. It was a really great conversation and I did end up being accepted with a scholarship. The campus made a big impression on me so if you want to see a beautiful building with friendly people, interview on campus. Otherwise, hopefully you'll get a chance to see it at an admit weekend! Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
You won't be penalized for interviewing with an alum, but alumni interviews are a bigger gamble. I had a pretty unorthodox interview with a private equity alum (not my background), and I believe that was by far the weakest part of my application (I was waitlisted). If I could do it over again, I would definitely interview on campus.

You can obviously be successful with either option - I was admitted to Ross with an off-campus interview. If flying in/out of Detroit wasn't so expensive and inconvenient, I would have interviewed on campus. I was comfortable with the risk of interviewing with a Ross alum, because Ross has a reputation of attracting highly collaborative students with a diverse employment profile. Although Booth has been working to tame its stereotype as a nerdy quant school, an overwhelming majority of Booth alums graduated before they shifted their focus (and class profile) around 2005 or so. Your interview experience will be largely driven by your ability to connect with your interviewer. If you come from a finance background or you're seeking a career in that industry, no one will question your reasons for applying to Booth. If your background and goals are somewhat non-traditional, it might be easier to make your case to a 2nd year student or adcom.

You should choose whichever interview option you think is most reasonable for your situation. Good luck and congrats on the invite!
GMAT Club Bot