Last visit was: 19 Jul 2024, 23:31 It is currently 19 Jul 2024, 23:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94421
Own Kudos [?]: 642415 [5]
Given Kudos: 86332
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 28 May 2022
Status:Dreaming and Working
Affiliations: None
Posts: 437
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
WE:Brand Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 28 May 2022
Status:Dreaming and Working
Affiliations: None
Posts: 437
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [1]
Given Kudos: 83
WE:Brand Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Tutor
Joined: 11 May 2022
Posts: 1085
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Re: One box contains 30 purple balls and 20 red balls, another box contain [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
One box contains 30 purple balls and 20 red balls, another box contains 15 purple balls and 35 red balls, if Wendy randomly chooses one box and draws one ball from it, what will be the possibility that the ball will be purple?

A. 3/10
B. 3/20
C. 9/10
D. 9/20
E. 7/20



There are two ways to win:
(1) Choose box 1 AND choose purple.
OR
(2) Choose box 2 AND choose purple.

AND means multiply. OR means add.

(1)
Probability of choosing box 1 = 0.5
Probability of choosing purple = 30/50 = 0.6
Probability of choosing box 1 AND choosing purple = 0.5*0.6 = 0.3

(2)
Probability of choosing box 2 = 0.5
Probability of choosing purple = 15/50 = 0.3
Probability of choosing box 2 AND choosing purple = 0.5*0.3 = 0.15

Probability of (1) OR (2) = 0.3+0.15 = 0.45 = 9/20

Answer choice D.

.
.
.

Bonus credit if you spotted that we didn't need to do all of that because the probability of choosing box 1 equals the probability of choosing box 2. If you did spot that, you're probably not reading this. If you didn't spot it, don't worry about it, since GMAC doesn't give two hoots how you get to the right answer!!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 May 2022
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: One box contains 30 purple balls and 20 red balls, another box contain [#permalink]
Please correct me if my way of thinking is completely wrong.

Box 1 = 30 Purple + 20 Red
Box 1 = 15 Purple + 35 Red

Combined = 45 Purple + 55 Red

Question ask for the possibility of drawing a purple ball, which must be just under 50% therefore 9/20

Hope it helps
Tutor
Joined: 11 May 2022
Posts: 1085
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Re: One box contains 30 purple balls and 20 red balls, another box contain [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ChrestenB wrote:
Please correct me if my way of thinking is completely wrong.

Box 1 = 30 Purple + 20 Red
Box 1 = 15 Purple + 35 Red

Combined = 45 Purple + 55 Red

Question ask for the possibility of drawing a purple ball, which must be just under 50% therefore 9/20

Hope it helps


That's a-okay in this case. Would it work if the probability of choosing box 1 is 40% and the probability of choosing box 2 is 60%? What adjustment would you need to make to your approach in that case?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Aug 2022
Posts: 85
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GPA: 4
WE:Design (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: One box contains 30 purple balls and 20 red balls, another box contain [#permalink]
its a "or" so addition
P(Purple) = P(purple1)+P(Purple2)

P(purple1) = 1/2 X 3/5 = 3/10 ( P choosing bag = 1/2 + P choosing purple from bag 1 = 30/50)
P(purple2) = 1/2 X 15/50 =15/100

P(Purple) = 3/10 + 15/100 = 9/20 Option "D"
Intern
Intern
Joined: 03 Jul 2022
Posts: 16
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Location: India
Schools: Ross '25
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
One box contains 30 purple balls and 20 red balls, another box contain [#permalink]
Many people are doing wrong

The concept to learn is, probability of a AND b = p(a)*p(b)
Probability of a OR b is p(a) +p(b)

The ball drawn is purple from either of the bags (OR probability)

Therefore probability of selecting a bag is 1/2

Also, probability of drawing a purple ball

1/2(30/50 +15/20) = 9/20

Ans D

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
One box contains 30 purple balls and 20 red balls, another box contain [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94421 posts