It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 22:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One week to go.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
One week to go. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 07:57
I gave my first attempt on 2nd december and got a score of 450. however i was prepared but i ended up panicking a lot and i couldn't complete my questions which made me guess randomly towards the end. After seeing the score i was heartbroken and my confidence was broken. however i decided to give a second attempt as i was still in the studying mode. My next attempt is on 21st December which is in a weeks time. today i gave a gmat prep and got a 580 score. 46 in Quants and 24 in verbal. i have a weeks time and i wish to give it my best. is it possible for me to touch 630+ in my next attempt and if yes what should i do for this one week. should i give mocks everyday? and also how can i improve my verbal and quants. Please do help as my confidence is still less but i wish to tackle this gmat attempt with a positive mindset. Any tips would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: One week to go. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Tussar,

To start, it's important to remember that taking lots of CATs will NOT make you a better Test Taker. A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Before we can discuss what you should be doing next, I have a few questions about how you took your CATs and your timeline/goals:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Goals:
6) What is your goal score?
7) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
8) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
Tussar wrote:
I gave my first attempt on 2nd december and got a score of 450. however i was prepared but i ended up panicking a lot and i couldn't complete my questions which made me guess randomly towards the end. After seeing the score i was heartbroken and my confidence was broken. however i decided to give a second attempt as i was still in the studying mode. My next attempt is on 21st December which is in a weeks time. today i gave a gmat prep and got a 580 score. 46 in Quants and 24 in verbal. i have a weeks time and i wish to give it my best. is it possible for me to touch 630+ in my next attempt and if yes what should i do for this one week. should i give mocks everyday? and also how can i improve my verbal and quants. Please do help as my confidence is still less but i wish to tackle this gmat attempt with a positive mindset. Any tips would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Hi Tussar ,

Solving more problems is not going to help you achieve the desired score your looking forward to. Since you have very less time in your hand i would suggest that you analyse the questions which you did wrong in the GMAT Prep questions in which you scored 580 and brush up your fundamentals in which you have scored less. Also what matters the most is the day of the exam so please do go with a positive mindset :-) Most of us have got our desired score in 3-4 attempts ( I am still waiting to get mine .. since i will be attempting my second GMAT Test as well :-) )

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 19:00
Thanks for replying. So yes i gave all my CATS at home and i only did the quants and the verbal section in order of verbal quants iw and away. i Didn't study anything a day before the Test. And i did come across a lot of questions which i knew already so that is why i scored well in my CAT but not the exam day. If i revise all my concepts and basics is it possible for me to touch a 630+ score? My aim is touching 630+ as i know i haven't given it my best and its already too late.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 08:52
Tussar wrote:
Thanks for replying. So yes i gave all my CATS at home and i only did the quants and the verbal section in order of verbal quants iw and away. i Didn't study anything a day before the Test. And i did come across a lot of questions which i knew already so that is why i scored well in my CAT but not the exam day. If i revise all my concepts and basics is it possible for me to touch a 630+ score? My aim is touching 630+ as i know i haven't given it my best and its already too late.

Hi Tussar ,

I would not guarantee you a score of 630+ if you revise the fundamentals and work on your weak spots but if you worry a lot about the score and the exam your score will have an impact. Therefore just treat the exam as another mock test because although the problems may be twitched here and there but at the core the concepts would remain the same. Its all about keeping a calm mind and the much needed focus that will help you on the exam day.

All the very best for your exam :-)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 20:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Tussar,

The reason I asked those questions about how you took your practice CATs is because I wanted to try to define whether this recent practice CAT Score (the 580) was a realistic measure of your skills or not. From what you describe, you have NOT been taking your practice CATs in a realistic way (that matches up with how you will take the Official GMAT), so we have to question the accuracy of this practice result. By extension, if we don't have a clear sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses, then there's no way to say whether you'll score 630+ on Test Day or not.

You can reschedule your GMAT appointment as long as you do so 7 full days before your appointment time - and I think that that would be a good idea at this point (assuming that you still have enough time to do so).

You didn't answer all of my questions in my prior post - and those answers are important to define your timeline:
1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
One week to go. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 23:32
So im not really applying to any school as of now. But i wish to go to Marshall School of business. Maybe Next year fall or else 2019 Spring. Do you know whether a score of 600+ will be able to get me into marshall school of business. My GPA is good and also other requirements. I'm only getting stuck because of GMAT score. I wish to do a MSc in Finance.
I cannot postpone my test date as i have other things to do after 22nd Dec so I'm just going and giving the test with a positive mindset hoping for the best.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 15:07
Hi Tussar,

No GMAT Score will ever 'guarantee' you anything (not even an 800), so you shouldn't think of your application(s) just in terms of how you score on the GMAT. Since you have a specific School in mind, then I would suggest that you discuss your profile and application plans with an Admissions Expert. There's a forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Re: One week to go.   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2017, 15:07

One week to go.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap