GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 11:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Opinion on whether I should do the GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Opinion on whether I should do the GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 07:29
Dear GMAT club forum,

I booked my GMAT exam for the 10th of January, which is kind of rushed considering that I was thinking about doing it in March/April. However, I was forced to do it this early because applications for most of CEMS MIM courses close in mid January (RSM-SSE). I've been studying for the exam for a bit more than 2 months now, and I've had a lot of ups and downs on how my expectations on my performance. I did 2 CAT tests (first one from Manhattan Prep on the 1st of November, and the second one from GMAT software on the 12 of December), and got 540 on both (Q39, V27 and Q44, V21). I was extremely disappointed, especially cause in the first simulation I took I took quite a lot of pauses which were lengthy. I got to a point in which I'm really undecided on whether I should actually do the exam or not: I feel like in order to have an optimal preparation for the GMAT, I should dedicate pretty much all of my efforts on it; but in my case I'm studying for my last 2 bachelor exams and have other stresses also. I'm thinking, therefore, to cancel my GMAT appointment (early enough, at least I'll get 80 bucks back) and retake it in March/April. I would personally have no issue in at least trying, but I don't know if schools look at previous GMAT score attempts as well. I'd like to ask you guys if, taking into account this situation, doing the GMAT is a good idea.

Thanks

Luca
RC Moderator
V
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Opinion on whether I should do the GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 08:06
Hello lukevol123 ........ welcome to the community.

Below are my 2 cents :
1. Schedule your exam after you reach your target score.
2. Rescheduling can be done till 7 days earlier with a cost of $60(check at the mba.com site)
3. Schools generally consider the highest score.(You can reach outr to your intended schools for confirmation)
4. Unless you have done a lot (and a lot) of silly mistakes, your score shows conceptual gaps in both V & Q.
5. There are tons of materials here, in GMAT Club (most of them are free and enriched with experts' perspectives), that you can utilize.

But, first of all take a break and rejuvenate yourself for the journey ahead.
Look at the post below: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml#p605856
It may help you to plan.

All the best.
VP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 08:09
Hi lukevol123,

The score of the official mock CAT is pretty close to the score of the real test. You can take the second free test to see where you stand.
You can try to take the test. You can cancel the score of you don't like it, and no school will ever see this score. Alternatively, you can just reschedule the current test at $60. IMO it would be much cheaper to reschedule than to cancel the test and pay for the new one.
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 09:22
I appreciate all of your answers.

I might have made a lot of mistakes, I mean I did all the MGMAT Quant books and improved my score in quant by 4-5; I've also been going through every single post in the "Ultimate GMAT Quant Megathread" and I've been pretty good in exercises of 600-700 level. This leads me to think that my main issue is maintaining focus throughout time, any advice on that? I'm going through MGMAT verbal now so I'll evaluate my progress in that as well. I'll probably do another CAT, and unless I see if there is a drastic score improvement
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 11:10
Hi Luca,

With a January 10th Test Date, you have about 2 weeks of study time remaining - but there will likely be a limit to how much you can improve in that time. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study for the GMAT each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) What are the application deadlines for each of the Programs that you are interested in? Are there later Rounds (and if so, then what are those deadlines?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 03:09
I feel like I could probably reach high 600, considering that all the mistakes I made in the CATs were not because of a lack of knowledge, but because I may get overwhelmed by how much time is left, and it throws me off a lot, inducing me in stupid avoidable mistakes. The amount of hours I study for GMAT sorta vary to be honest, I generally study up to 4-5 hours a day without having any days off. But lately I've been focusing on my last two university exams since they are in a month. Concerning materials, I've used pretty much everything that can be found for free (all relevant GMAT Club posts about quant, e-gmat free trial videos, GMAT Club Math book), and concerning paid stuff, all the MGMAT books (except the one on essay and IR, Foundations of Math and Verbal, and Advanced Quant), OG 2019 with Verbal and Quant books, VeritasPrep on Data Sufficiency, and some other stuff maybe. My goal score is to get at least 670-680, but I'm pushing as if my goal is to get into the 700s. I don't believe there are later rounds, but some other universities that I am interested in start their applications in March, that's why I thought about going for those options directly, by doing another GMAT in case the one on the 10th shouldn't go well
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 18:59
Hi Luca,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Given that you are still a ways away from your score goal, I suggest that you wait to take your GMAT until you are comfortably scoring 680+ on your practice exams. Furthermore, since you need to improve by 140+ points, you may consider adjusting your study plan. Although it does not cost you anything to jump from free resource to free resource, you will find that such an approach hurts your ability to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills because your prep is disorganized. So, you may want to take a look at the various paid resources available. There are reviews here on GMAT Club of the best quant and verbal courses.

Additionally, it seems as though you are juggling a lot at the moment. Thus, you may consider waiting to dive into your GMAT prep until you’ve completed all of your university exams, so that you are able to focus 100% on the GMAT.

If you’d like more specific advice on how to study for GMAT quant and verbal, feel free to reach back out. You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 11:38
Dear Scott, Thank you very much for your reply. My issue with thinking about rescheduling the GMAT lies in the fact that I don't think I would have time to take another GMAT before all the schools I'm interested in close their applications (not only the January ones), since after graduating in March I would leave my country for an erasmus traineeship program for about 4 months, so I wouldn't have time to do it. My thought is at least try to do the exam
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 12:30
lukevol123 wrote:
I don't know if schools look at previous GMAT score attempts as well. I'd like to ask you guys if, taking into account this situation, doing the GMAT is a good idea.
You can cancel a score if you are not happy with it or if you don't want your target schools to see it.

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 22:45
Hi Luca,

Based on the information that you have provided, your current 'ability level' is still in the mid-500s - and raising that type of score to the point that you could could consistently score 700+ would likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. There's no harm in taking the GMAT on January 10th, but you could save some time and money if you paid to push back that Test Date far enough so that you could put in the appropriate study time.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 05:19
Just did another assessment test yesterday. I got a 580 (Q43, V27), but this time, after I did the entire Quant section, I took quite a few breaks for the Verbal part. At this point I have decided to reschedule the GMAT exam for the first week of April
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 12:06
Hi Luca,

Pushing back your Test Date to April is a smart choice. This recent score is in the range of your other CAT Scores - but it's worth noting that this result is likely 'inflated' since you paused the Verbal section several times. Pausing the Exam will NOT be an option on Test Day, so if you're serious about scoring at a higher level, then you are going to have to commit to taking your CATs in a realistic fashion that matches up with what you'll face on the Official GMAT.

1) When will you be done with your University Exams?
2) After those Exams, how many hours do you think you will be able to study for the GMAT each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 20:06
Hi lukevol123,

I understand your situation completely. So, if you MUST give the GMAT one shot in your allotted time frame, then I again recommend sticking to one GMAT prep course, so you can study in a structured and organized fashion. Once again, if you need any further advice regarding your study plan moving forward, feel free to reach back out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Opinion on whether I should do the GMAT   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2019, 20:06

Opinion on whether I should do the GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep