GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Opportunity Cost of MBA in Canada / Alternative to MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Opportunity Cost of MBA in Canada / Alternative to MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 08:39
Hi All,
I am new to gmatclub.. so apologies for anything, that i might have done which is not in line the forum requirements.

I am a BE (Electronics) graduate, currently working in an Indian MNC in Manufacturing Sector.

My work profile is as follows:
Total experience of 10 years (8 years in project management + 2 years in Business Development).

My educational background is as follows
-- 10th : 84 % (CBSE board)
-- 12th : 88.67% ( State Board) with 98% in Physics Chemistry & Mathematics
-- B.E (2008): 73%
-- Management Education Program (2016) in General Management from IIMA (nominated by my firm). Its a 2 year certificate program with contact classes for one week in a month for 18 months.

My current industry is a very niche sector and I am now looking for new opportunities to diversify my skills. Also I am looking for options to settle abroad. Hence looking for a job in in Canada . While inquiring about the Permanent Residency (PR) , I was given to understand that your current work experience may not be valued much in Canada and it would be difficult to find a job of equivalent responsibility / seniority. An education in Canada will place you well to find a decent job.

However, the opportunity costs for the MBA ( One year MBA tuition fees of Rs 60-80 lacs and one year of my current CTC - Rs 22+ lacs per year) i.e approx Rs 1 Crore, is very high. So, would be glad to take your guidance on the following :
Thank you in advance:

1. Is MBA worth doing after having a certificate in General Management. Will the certificate have any value in Canada ( as it is a company nominated program) ?

2. Is it worth considering better colleges in US / Europe. How easy will it be to move to Canada at a later stage ?

3. Are there good MBA colleges in Canada that provide a on year full time MBA ?

4. Advantages of Canadian PR: Will having a Permanent Resident card help in significant reduction in tuition fees as well as in increasing the chances of scholarships?

5. Compensation : Considering an opportunity cost of Rs 1 Cr for a one year MBA and Rs 1.5 Cr for a two year MBA , want to know whether colleges in Canada would give me a significant increase in the compensation

6. Alternate Suggestions : Considering my requirements, would you recommend any alternate route to a MBA?

Thank you once again :) :) :)
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Re: Opportunity Cost of MBA in Canada / Alternative to MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 08:31
I will suggest you to try getting a scholarship as it's easy to get a scholarship with the kind of profile you have with a good GMAT score. Also, The opportunity costs lie much beyond than what can be expressed in terms of money. For eg, the learnng and the experience you get from a bschool, the network you can form there, and the kind of exposure you get at an international market.

Why do we fall?...So we can learn to pick ourselves up again

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Opportunity Cost of MBA in Canada / Alternative to MBA &nbs [#permalink] 07 Oct 2018, 08:31

Opportunity Cost of MBA in Canada / Alternative to MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap