GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 00:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Optional essay for low GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: AGSM '15
Optional essay for low GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 23:41
I am planning to write an optional essay explaining my low GPA in my second year including an F.

My first year GPA: 3.7
Second year first semester: 2.0 with an F
Third Year went on exchange
Fourth Year 3.4
Fifth year: 3.3

It took me 5 years to graduate, since I switched my major from Finance to Accounting.

The reason I got low gpa was because I was very self-confident, who had poor team working skills and did not go to class because I thought I was smart enough to learn by myself. Moreover, I did not have concrete future plan and didn't discover my interest. Therefore, I lost my interest in school, and did not go to school.

However, after went on exchange, and met excellent people from all of the globe, I realized how self-confident I was and learned the importance of collaboration and developed strong teamworking skills. After coming back from the exchange, I had been actively involved in school societies as well as school work. Consequently, I made lots of valuable friends and maintained familiar relationship with my professors.
In addition, while studying accounting during the 2 years of service in the military, I found out that I have a great interest in accounting and decided to pursue a career in accounting, not to mention that I developed strong leadership and teamworking skills. That is why I switched my major from finance to accounting.

Do you think it is a valid reason to explain my low gpa?
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Optional essay for low GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 18:03
Yes, I would use the optional essay to tell this story. If you have any work experience following graduation (and ideally some accomplishments there) you can also point to that as being better representations of your abilities than that 2nd year GPA. Even if you don't you can directly point out that your 4th & 5th year GPAs are more representative of your abilities. A high GMAT would be ideal to also help compensate for the low overall GPA, especially since the 4th & 5th year GPAs never got as high as the 1st year.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Optional essay for low GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap