It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 22:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Optional Essay format/structure

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Optional Essay format/structure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 16:44
Starting to put my applications together for MSF programs and I want write an optional essay to explain my poor undergrad GPA, which is about 2.8. I battled some health problems for most of my undergrad and spent a significant amount of time in hospital and doctors offices for test and appointments. I don’t want to make this an excuse, but it definitely impacted my marks and I want to show how the whole situation impacted me positively. I am just unsure about how to format and structure it, any ideas?

Most of the schools I am applying to require an essay to explain my motivation, goals, personality, etc.
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Re: Optional Essay format/structure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 19:32
m94m wrote:
Starting to put my applications together for MSF programs and I want write an optional essay to explain my poor undergrad GPA, which is about 2.8. I battled some health problems for most of my undergrad and spent a significant amount of time in hospital and doctors offices for test and appointments. I don’t want to make this an excuse, but it definitely impacted my marks and I want to show how the whole situation impacted me positively. I am just unsure about how to format and structure it, any ideas?

Most of the schools I am applying to require an essay to explain my motivation, goals, personality, etc.

You are right about the content for this essay. Don't give excuses about the low GPA but do explain it was due to bad health and you still continued to work at it to make your scores better.
Write the essay in a straight manner- starting with why your marks were low, if you took some actions to improve it. End the essay with what you learned out of this. You should also mention how you have always performed as/better than expected since those days

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Last minute turn-around of ISB applications click here

Want last minute feedback on your essays? Ask about our pay per essay service.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Optional Essay format/structure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 11:40
With optional essays unless you are given specific guidance, they really should be written in fairly direct language with minimal fluff. You do not want to be repetitive with information shared elsewhere within the application. I think the approach you outlined above seems spot on, so I would follow through with that execution. I think the main thing is to avoid making making excuses and just be straight up with what happened, the result (low GPA), and how going through that experienced affected you (positively). I would not spend more than 3-4 sentences on this, keep it short and sweet!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Optional Essay format/structure   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2017, 11:40

Optional Essay format/structure

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap