GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ordinary mountain sickness, a common condition among

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Ordinary mountain sickness, a common condition among  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2006, 02:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

48% (02:12) correct 52% (01:59) wrong based on 306 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ordinary mountain sickness, a common condition among mountain clumbers, and one from which most people can recover, is caused by the characteristic shortage of oxygen in the atmosphere at high altitudes. Cerebral edema, a rarer disruption of blood circulation in the brain that quickly becomes life-threatening if not correctly trated from its onset, can also be caused by a shortage of oxygen. Since the symptoms of cerebral edema resemle those of ordinary mountain sickness, cerebral edema is especially dangerous at high altitudes.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. The treatment for ordinary mountain sickness differs from the treatment for cerebral edema.
B. Cerebral edema can cause those who suffer from it to slip into coma within a few hours.
C. Unlike cerebral edema, ordinary mountain sickness involves no disruption of blood circulation in the brain.
D. Shortage of oxygen at extremely high altitude is likely to affect thinking processes and cause errors of judgement.
E. Most people who suffer from ordinary mountain sickness recover without any special treatment.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
B
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2006, 07:19
(E) is the best assumption. Otherwise both sicknesses have similiar effects after onset.

BTW: Travelers often suffer from altitude sickness when traveling through my home state of Colorado. I can only imagine large numbers succomb to the same sickness in HIMA`s home town as well...
Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2006, 07:29
A) is correct IMO.
Since the simptoms are similar, one may decide that the patient has mountain sickness not edema. If they have similar treatment then there is no problem. But the argument states that "[url]Since the symptoms of cerebral edema resemle those of ordinary mountain sickness, cerebral edema is especially dangerous at high altitudes. [/url]
so A) seems correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2006, 09:43
I think its b/w A and E.

I prefer E over A because E says that

E) Most people who suffer from ordinary mountain sickness recover without any special treatment ---

it is fair to assume at high altitude there may not be special treatment available, so cerebral edema especially dangerous at high altitudes.

I think A is wrong because it talks about differnt ways of treatment, which doesn't matters.
Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2006, 13:26
I was between A and E and now go for ^ E ^
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2006, 19:41
D
Conclusion is 'Since the symptoms of cerebral edema resemle those of ordinary mountain sickness, cerebral edema is especially dangerous at high altitudes.'
Evidence is 'Ordinary mountain sickness, a common condition among mountain clumbers, and one from which most people can recover, is caused by the characteristic shortage of oxygen in the atmosphere at high altitudes'
D proves why cerebral edema is especially dangerous at high altitudes.
VP
VP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2006, 21:25
BG wrote:
A) is correct IMO.

Since the simptoms are similar, one may decide that the patient has mountain sickness not edema. If they have similar treatment then there is no problem. But the argument states that "[url]Since the symptoms of cerebral edema resemle those of ordinary mountain sickness, cerebral edema is especially dangerous at high altitudes.

so A) seems correct

i go with you.. A.
SVP
SVP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2006, 05:24
BG wrote:
A) is correct IMO.
Since the simptoms are similar, one may decide that the patient has mountain sickness not edema. If they have similar treatment then there is no problem. But the argument states that "[url]Since the symptoms of cerebral edema resemle those of ordinary mountain sickness, cerebral edema is especially dangerous at high altitudes.[/url]
so A) seems correct

Good explanation; OA is A :)

Friend, you're a familiar face in GMATclub and you've performed really very well!!! Have you taken the test so far?!! :wink:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Re: CR cerebral edema  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2011, 05:04
I fell for E... but good explanation for A.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Re: CR cerebral edema  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2011, 14:53
That was tough!!! I understand why A is correct...Thanks for the explanations.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14
GMAT Date: 10-24-2011
Re:  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 08:59
gmat_crack wrote:
I think its b/w A and E.

I prefer E over A because E says that

E) Most people who suffer from ordinary mountain sickness recover without any special treatment ---

it is fair to assume at high altitude there may not be special treatment available, so cerebral edema especially dangerous at high altitudes.

I think A is wrong because it talks about differnt ways of treatment, which doesn't matters.

A or E is the problem.
Because E is simple reiteration of the stimulus "Ordinary mountain sickness, a common condition among mountain clumbers, and one from which most people can recover," E could not be the ASSUMPTION.

ASSUMPTION is something behind the conclusion.

If the symptoms are similar and the treatments are same, cerebral edema is not something especially dangerous at high altitudes.

Therefore, A is the answer.

D could be one of the possible REASONS that make cerebral edema especially dangerous at high altitudes, but even if people are sober when they meet cerebral edema, they can still fail to tell it from ordinary mountain sickness because "the symptoms are similar." And shortage of oxygen is "likely" to, but not necessarily, affect thinking processes. In ASSUMPTION type problems, the choice should rule out any possibility of doubt because the auther could not depend on "likely" or "50-50 change" to make an arguement, at least in GMAT, which we call an exaggeration.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: Ordinary mountain sickness, a common condition among  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 08:03
A
Conclusion - cerebral edema is especially dangerous at high altitudes
Premise - Symptoms of both diseases are same so one can misinterpret one for another
Assumption - They require different treatments

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 18:07
laxieqv wrote:
Ordinary mountain sickness, a common condition among mountain clumbers, and one from which most people can recover, is caused by the characteristic shortage of oxygen in the atmosphere at high altitudes. Cerebral edema, a rarer disruption of blood circulation in the brain that quickly becomes life-threatening if not correctly trated from its onset, can also be caused by a shortage of oxygen. Since the symptoms of cerebral edema resemle those of ordinary mountain sickness, cerebral edema is especially dangerous at high altitudes.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. The treatment for ordinary mountain sickness differs from the treatment for cerebral edema.
B. Cerebral edema can cause those who suffer from it to slip into coma within a few hours.
C. Unlike cerebral edema, ordinary mountain sickness involves no disruption of blood circulation in the brain.
D. Shortage of oxygen at extremely high altitude is likely to affect thinking processes and cause errors of judgement.
E. Most people who suffer from ordinary mountain sickness recover without any special treatment.

+1 for A.
The treatment for ordinary mountain sickness differs from the treatment for cerebral edema--this clearly states that why cerebral edema is especially dangerous at high altitudes,while a person can recover from ordinary mountain sickness.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 05:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Ordinary mountain sickness, a common condition among &nbs [#permalink] 01 Aug 2018, 05:27

Ordinary mountain sickness, a common condition among

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap