Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619020 [9]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [0]
Send PM
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

We can draw the circles as shown..

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2
V+(any one game only or none)=7-3=4

Total who play game=3+2+4=9.

So, the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games = 14-9=5.

B

Have you consider people like only Badminton and only Soccer as Null?

Posted from my mobile device

Yes, because that is what the data suggests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and [#permalink]
Bookmarks
chetan2u wrote:
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2

B

Where in the question it is given that only badminton and only soccer each is zero, when there is also option cannot be determined?
IESE School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
IMO E

chetan2u: Sir it is given that All three games = 3, and Badminton and Soccer =5, how you deduced that it actually should be 2 (5-3) and why other values as 0.

Can you please help in clarifying doubts.
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Bunuel Sir Can You Post Official Explanation to the question.

RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

chetan2u: Sir it is given that All three games = 3, and Badminton and Soccer =5, how you deduced that it actually should be 2 (5-3) and why other values as 0.

I would agree the question is not worded in the best possible way.

But if this question is in GMAT, I will answer B for two reasons
1) Almost all questions on GMAT will not have an option that states ‘cannot be determined.’
2) There is nothing in the question that states that there is some more information than what is given.

Of course, as I said there is a bit of confusion in the wordings.
IESE School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

1) Almost all questions on GMAT will not have an option that states ‘cannot be determined.’
2) There is nothing in the question that states that there is some more information than what is given.

I agree with your point 1 sir. Since this question has option E as "Cannot be determined", it leaves little room for assumption. I can still agree with other values as 0, but how did you arrive at Badminton and Soccer=2?
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NitishJain wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

I agree with your point 1 sir. Since this question has option E as "Cannot be determined", it leaves little room for assumption. I can still agree with other values as 0, but how did you arrive at Badminton and Soccer=2?

There are 5 like to play B and S. Now this 5 will consist of
1) only B+S
2) B+S+V, which is given as 3.

So only B+S=5-3=2
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Its really strange how did you assume something as there may be other possibility.
I read you explanation, sir! But I didn't get how assumption is applicable in quant section.
In my opinion, what if only B is 2 and Only S is 1, then I would get 2 as answer. Or B and S can have 1 and 2 respectively.
Q asks number of people who don't like to play any of the 3 games. Means number of students completely outside of shown circles.

Please explain.

chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2

B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Send PM
gvij2017 wrote:
Its really strange how did you assume something as there may be other possibility.
I read you explanation, sir! But I didn't get how assumption is applicable in quant section.
In my opinion, what if only B is 2 and Only S is 1, then I would get 2 as answer. Or B and S can have 1 and 2 respectively.
Q asks number of people who don't like to play any of the 3 games. Means number of students completely outside of shown circles.

Please explain.

chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2

B

It's a pretty straight forward sum in which there is nothing to assume and there is no problem in the wording of the sum. Answer is cannot be determined. You can assume anything in Quant section.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gurmukh wrote:
gvij2017 wrote:

Please explain.

chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2

B

It's a pretty straight forward sum in which there is nothing to assume and there is no problem in the wording of the sum. Answer is cannot be determined. You can assume anything in Quant section.

Sorry I wanted to write you cannot assume anything in Quant.
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gvij2017 wrote:

Please explain.

chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2

B

Hi

Yes, we are not supposed to assume anything, and nothing has been assumed. If you say there is something more than what is given, then you are assuming.

The details you are looking at is important for DS question. Because traps lie in these kind of lines. They give you that there are 2 red balls and 2 white balls and we are looking at the probability of picking red. Of course we would require to know the total balls or that no other colour is present.

But if in a PS question, I give you that there are 2 red balls and 2 white balls, and you have to find the same probability. Will you say that it cannot be determined because there can be other colours too. No, you cannot as you have to work on data given.

Same is the case here. If some data is given, why should I take that the data is inadequate if there is nothing in the question stem that tells me that there have to be some playing soccer alone ?

But if it were DS and I had this data , I would mark E the same way as I would do it for red and white balls example.

Finally, as I have written, you will not find such wordings in GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

Sir, going by your logic suppose it is given in the sum that there are 14 balls in the bag and there are 5 red balls in the bag, find the probability of taking out yellow balls, will you assume that all rest of the balls in the bag are yellow and also when one of the option is cannot be determined. Also if you are talking about that there is no such option in GMAT then you are also assuming that they can't give such option because nowhere GMAC mentions that there cannot be a option like this.

RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gurmukh wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

Sir, going by your logic suppose it is given in the sum that there are 14 balls in the bag and there are 5 red balls in the bag, find the probability of taking out yellow balls, will you assume that all rest of the balls in the bag are yellow and also when one of the option is cannot be determined. Also if you are talking about that there is no such option in GMAT then you are also assuming that they can't give such option because nowhere GMAC mentions that there cannot be a option like this.

Hi Gurmukh,
The case you have taken is not the similar to one we are looking at. You are asking for a probability of a thing that is not even given.
The example of finding probability of picking a blue out of a bag and it is given that the bag contains 4 blue and 5 black will stand. You are not given any other colour so take it that you have only 2 colours in PS. Why should we read more than what is given in PS? And as I said, this question does not reflect the wording of actual questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2

B

"Yes, because that is what the data suggests" !?

C'mon dude are you serious? You are suppose to be the GMAT expert.
Number 1 rule in the GMAT: NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
chacinluis wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2

B

"Yes, because that is what the data suggests" !?

C'mon dude are you serious? You are suppose to be the GMAT expert.
Number 1 rule in the GMAT: NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Dude, thanks for reminding me that I am a math expert. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Your number 1 rule, for which you have taken considerable pain in writing in bold and capital, has already been discussed above.

Number 1 advice in the forums - Go through the entire thread, you will avoid asking unnecessary questions. If you still don't follow the thread, you can ask or leave it.
As I wrote - In PS, you are supposed to get a value as an answer so the values given would be the only thing required for an answer.
If there are red cones and blue squares, and nothing else specified in PS, you can take that no red squares exist.
OR
If a PS says that there are 75 students out of which 45 play cricket, and 50 play football. How many play both games?
You can take it that all play at least one game. Although the official questions would almost every time mention that clearly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2

B

Why do you assume that Only B and Only S are zero? In my opinion, this question should be discarded because of its ambiguity.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
3137 posts