GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Jul 2020, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 64949
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2020, 07:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (02:00) correct 70% (02:02) wrong based on 39 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined

_________________
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8752
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2020, 20:21
1
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined


We can draw the circles as shown..

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2
V+(any one game only or none)=7-3=4

Total who play game=3+2+4=9.

So, the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games = 14-9=5.

B
Attachments

Untitledda.png
Untitledda.png [ 6.51 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]


_________________
PS Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jan 2020
Posts: 1012
Location: India
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2020, 20:49
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined


We can draw the circles as shown..

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2
V+(any one game only or none)=7-3=4

Total who play game=3+2+4=9.

So, the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games = 14-9=5.

B

Have you consider people like only Badminton and only Soccer as Null?

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8752
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2020, 21:09
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined


We can draw the circles as shown..

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2
V+(any one game only or none)=7-3=4

Total who play game=3+2+4=9.

So, the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games = 14-9=5.

B

Have you consider people like only Badminton and only Soccer as Null?

Posted from my mobile device



Yes, because that is what the data suggests.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Dec 2017
Posts: 290
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 02:42
chetan2u wrote:
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined


We can draw the circles as shown..

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2
V+(any one game only or none)=7-3=4

Total who play game=3+2+4=9.

So, the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games = 14-9=5.

B

Have you consider people like only Badminton and only Soccer as Null?

Posted from my mobile device



Yes, because that is what the data suggests.

Where in the question it is given that only badminton and only soccer each is zero, when there is also option cannot be determined?
IESE School Moderator
avatar
S
Joined: 11 Feb 2019
Posts: 270
CAT Tests
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 04:53
IMO E

chetan2u: Sir it is given that All three games = 3, and Badminton and Soccer =5, how you deduced that it actually should be 2 (5-3) and why other values as 0.

Can you please help in clarifying doubts.
_________________

Cheers,
NJ
PS Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jan 2020
Posts: 1012
Location: India
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 04:59
Bunuel Sir Can You Post Official Explanation to the question.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8752
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 05:17
1
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

chetan2u: Sir it is given that All three games = 3, and Badminton and Soccer =5, how you deduced that it actually should be 2 (5-3) and why other values as 0.

Can you please help in clarifying doubts.



I would agree the question is not worded in the best possible way.

But if this question is in GMAT, I will answer B for two reasons
1) Almost all questions on GMAT will not have an option that states ‘cannot be determined.’
2) There is nothing in the question that states that there is some more information than what is given.

Of course, as I said there is a bit of confusion in the wordings.
_________________
IESE School Moderator
avatar
S
Joined: 11 Feb 2019
Posts: 270
CAT Tests
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 05:22
chetan2u wrote:
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

chetan2u: Sir it is given that All three games = 3, and Badminton and Soccer =5, how you deduced that it actually should be 2 (5-3) and why other values as 0.

Can you please help in clarifying doubts.



I would agree the question is not worded in the best possible way.

But if this question is in GMAT, I will answer B for two reasons
1) Almost all questions on GMAT will not have an option that states ‘cannot be determined.’
2) There is nothing in the question that states that there is some more information than what is given.

Of course, as I said there is a bit of confusion in the wordings.



I agree with your point 1 sir. Since this question has option E as "Cannot be determined", it leaves little room for assumption. I can still agree with other values as 0, but how did you arrive at Badminton and Soccer=2?
_________________

Cheers,
NJ
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8752
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 05:39
1
NitishJain wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

chetan2u: Sir it is given that All three games = 3, and Badminton and Soccer =5, how you deduced that it actually should be 2 (5-3) and why other values as 0.

Can you please help in clarifying doubts.



I would agree the question is not worded in the best possible way.

But if this question is in GMAT, I will answer B for two reasons
1) Almost all questions on GMAT will not have an option that states ‘cannot be determined.’
2) There is nothing in the question that states that there is some more information than what is given.

Of course, as I said there is a bit of confusion in the wordings.



I agree with your point 1 sir. Since this question has option E as "Cannot be determined", it leaves little room for assumption. I can still agree with other values as 0, but how did you arrive at Badminton and Soccer=2?


There are 5 like to play B and S. Now this 5 will consist of
1) only B+S
2) B+S+V, which is given as 3.

So only B+S=5-3=2
_________________
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 08 Aug 2017
Posts: 753
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 01:26
Its really strange how did you assume something as there may be other possibility.
I read you explanation, sir! But I didn't get how assumption is applicable in quant section.
In my opinion, what if only B is 2 and Only S is 1, then I would get 2 as answer. Or B and S can have 1 and 2 respectively.
Q asks number of people who don't like to play any of the 3 games. Means number of students completely outside of shown circles.

Please explain.

chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined


We can draw the circles as shown..

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2
V+(any one game only or none)=7-3=4

Total who play game=3+2+4=9.

So, the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games = 14-9=5.

B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Dec 2017
Posts: 290
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 01:34
gvij2017 wrote:
Its really strange how did you assume something as there may be other possibility.
I read you explanation, sir! But I didn't get how assumption is applicable in quant section.
In my opinion, what if only B is 2 and Only S is 1, then I would get 2 as answer. Or B and S can have 1 and 2 respectively.
Q asks number of people who don't like to play any of the 3 games. Means number of students completely outside of shown circles.

Please explain.

chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined


We can draw the circles as shown..

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2
V+(any one game only or none)=7-3=4

Total who play game=3+2+4=9.

So, the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games = 14-9=5.

B

It's a pretty straight forward sum in which there is nothing to assume and there is no problem in the wording of the sum. Answer is cannot be determined. You can assume anything in Quant section.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Dec 2017
Posts: 290
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 01:36
gurmukh wrote:
gvij2017 wrote:
Its really strange how did you assume something as there may be other possibility.
I read you explanation, sir! But I didn't get how assumption is applicable in quant section.
In my opinion, what if only B is 2 and Only S is 1, then I would get 2 as answer. Or B and S can have 1 and 2 respectively.
Q asks number of people who don't like to play any of the 3 games. Means number of students completely outside of shown circles.

Please explain.

chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined


We can draw the circles as shown..

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2
V+(any one game only or none)=7-3=4

Total who play game=3+2+4=9.

So, the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games = 14-9=5.

B

It's a pretty straight forward sum in which there is nothing to assume and there is no problem in the wording of the sum. Answer is cannot be determined. You can assume anything in Quant section.

Posted from my mobile device

Sorry I wanted to write you cannot assume anything in Quant.
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8752
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 02:13
1
gvij2017 wrote:
Its really strange how did you assume something as there may be other possibility.
I read you explanation, sir! But I didn't get how assumption is applicable in quant section.
In my opinion, what if only B is 2 and Only S is 1, then I would get 2 as answer. Or B and S can have 1 and 2 respectively.
Q asks number of people who don't like to play any of the 3 games. Means number of students completely outside of shown circles.

Please explain.

chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and Volleyball. If there are 7 people in the group who like to play Volleyball and 5 who like to play Badminton and Soccer, what is the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games?

A. 2
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. Cannot be determined


We can draw the circles as shown..

All three games = 3.
So only B+S=5-3=2
V+(any one game only or none)=7-3=4

Total who play game=3+2+4=9.

So, the number of people who do not like to play any of the 3 games = 14-9=5.

B


Hi

Yes, we are not supposed to assume anything, and nothing has been assumed. If you say there is something more than what is given, then you are assuming.

The details you are looking at is important for DS question. Because traps lie in these kind of lines. They give you that there are 2 red balls and 2 white balls and we are looking at the probability of picking red. Of course we would require to know the total balls or that no other colour is present.

But if in a PS question, I give you that there are 2 red balls and 2 white balls, and you have to find the same probability. Will you say that it cannot be determined because there can be other colours too. No, you cannot as you have to work on data given.

Same is the case here. If some data is given, why should I take that the data is inadequate if there is nothing in the question stem that tells me that there have to be some playing soccer alone ?

But if it were DS and I had this data , I would mark E the same way as I would do it for red and white balls example.

Finally, as I have written, you will not find such wordings in GMAT.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Dec 2017
Posts: 290
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 02:36
chetan2u wrote:
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

chetan2u: Sir it is given that All three games = 3, and Badminton and Soccer =5, how you deduced that it actually should be 2 (5-3) and why other values as 0.

Can you please help in clarifying doubts.



I would agree the question is not worded in the best possible way.

But if this question is in GMAT, I will answer B for two reasons
1) Almost all questions on GMAT will not have an option that states ‘cannot be determined.’
2) There is nothing in the question that states that there is some more information than what is given.

Of course, as I said there is a bit of confusion in the wordings.

Sir, going by your logic suppose it is given in the sum that there are 14 balls in the bag and there are 5 red balls in the bag, find the probability of taking out yellow balls, will you assume that all rest of the balls in the bag are yellow and also when one of the option is cannot be determined. Also if you are talking about that there is no such option in GMAT then you are also assuming that they can't give such option because nowhere GMAC mentions that there cannot be a option like this.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8752
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 04:24
1
gurmukh wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
NitishJain wrote:
IMO E

chetan2u: Sir it is given that All three games = 3, and Badminton and Soccer =5, how you deduced that it actually should be 2 (5-3) and why other values as 0.

Can you please help in clarifying doubts.



I would agree the question is not worded in the best possible way.

But if this question is in GMAT, I will answer B for two reasons
1) Almost all questions on GMAT will not have an option that states ‘cannot be determined.’
2) There is nothing in the question that states that there is some more information than what is given.

Of course, as I said there is a bit of confusion in the wordings.

Sir, going by your logic suppose it is given in the sum that there are 14 balls in the bag and there are 5 red balls in the bag, find the probability of taking out yellow balls, will you assume that all rest of the balls in the bag are yellow and also when one of the option is cannot be determined. Also if you are talking about that there is no such option in GMAT then you are also assuming that they can't give such option because nowhere GMAC mentions that there cannot be a option like this.

Posted from my mobile device


Hi Gurmukh,
The case you have taken is not the similar to one we are looking at. You are asking for a probability of a thing that is not even given.
The example of finding probability of picking a blue out of a bag and it is given that the bag contains 4 blue and 5 black will stand. You are not given any other colour so take it that you have only 2 colours in PS. Why should we read more than what is given in PS? And as I said, this question does not reflect the wording of actual questions.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2020, 04:24

Out of the 14 people in a group, 3 like to play Badminton, Soccer and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne