GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Master of Science in Marketing programs in USA and EU

new topic post reply Update application status  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Master of Science in Marketing programs in USA and EU [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 02:41
aayushik1995 Here are my responses:

1. Do these courses especially the one you are doing have scholarship opportunities for international students (I am an Indian) - Scholarship policies vary for each university and what their idea of "merit" is or who they think is more deserving of it. You need to write to the schools you've shortlisted and discuss this with them. I can only speak for USC. In my experience, there are some scholarship possibilities though those are very limited. You can write to the admission's director at ms.marketing@marshall.usc.edu and check.

2. Like you mentioned, it is not tough to find a job , but can you help me understand the percentage of people of the last few years landing with a decent job? And are these jobs entry level (just an average salary amount might help) - Please do note, I mentioned that there are no dearth of jobs. Job hunts, however, are always challenging. :) Salary is a very subjective matter and it is very hard to make a generalisation. Typically, the entry level jobs for fresh out-of-school grads, without any experience should be around 60-70K and then it increases basis your ability to negotiate or if you are more experienced or if you're working for a large brand. But this is totally my own personal opinion and I have no credible stats to back this up. I suggest you look at Glassdoor or Indeed.com or any such job portal and look at what is offered by various companies for various roles.

The concern being, if I don't get a scholarship, I will have to take a loan and not getting a decent job would really take a toll on me . - This will always be a risk. Not just a job, there is always a risk of not getting a work visa. So this is a high stake decision that you need to make. However, there is a reason why thousands of Indian students or international students, for that matter, go to the US, year after year. The exposure and learning is phenomenal. As someone who has studied at one of the top 10 B-schools in India, I can vouch for the fact that my learnings over the last 5 months have been unmatched with anything I've done so far. You have to realise that when you get into a top program, you will end up learning several other critical skills such as collaboration with people from all across the globe, networking and making connections, time management (because you'll have assignments and part-time jobs to juggle). All of this while managing your household chores. In America, nothing is served to you in a platter, you have to persevere and be at it, and that just makes you so much more capable, personally and professionally.

I hope that helps!

aayushik1995 wrote:
srutichat wrote:
Hi,

I am a current student of the MS in Marketing program at USC Marshall School of Business, Los Angeles.

My experience has been that finding a job is really a function of career resources your school has to offer and your own effort, of course. :)

So if you plan on coming to the US, you should make sure you're at a good school and you should be prepared to work hard!

Having said that, I have seen the previous classes of my program land jobs/internships of their choice in the US. In fact, I have seen my current classmates land internships as well. There are definitely a lot of recruiting opportunities on my campus. So I honestly don't think that there's a dearth of marketing jobs or jobs in general in the US. The process is a challenging one but it's not a hard goal to achieve!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to share a current student's perspective!

Sruti

RaunakK wrote:
Hello,

Finally I am able to find the right place to look into. For myself, the main reason to pursue MS in Marketing is pursue my interest, develop the required skillset and utilise it in the industry for certain years before pursuing MBA in marketing. Said that, I looking to convert my course into a job abroad.

Looking at the current scenario in the USA, I feel it is difficult to get a land a job there and thus left with the Western Europe.

In the Europe, I am looking forward to
Erasmus University Rotterdam, School of Management, Netherlands - Master of Science of Business Administration in Marketing
Tilburg University, Netherlands - Master in Marketing Management
Warwick Business School, UK - Master in Marketing & Strategy
Nottingham Trent University, UK - Master of Science in Marketing

Let me know your thoughts on these schools.

Hey Sruti,
I am an aspirant planning on applying to the US for Masters in Marketing courses for fall 2018. Seeing that you are a recent joinee in the program as well, I thought of asking you a few questions . It would be great if you can throw a light on them :
1. Do these courses especially the one you are doing have scholarship opportunities for international students (I am an Indian)
2. Like you mentioned, it is not tough to find a job , but can you help me understand the percentage of people of the last few years landing with a decent job? And are these jobs entry level (just an average salary amount might help)
The concern being, if I don't get a scholarship, I will have to take a loan and not getting a decent job would really take a toll on me .

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 12:02
srutichat

Thank you for your detailed response.

A specific doubt that I had regarding the MS Marketing programs is that almost none of them are STEM designated i.e the OPT duration is only for 12 months. In these cases, what happens after 12 months?

With H1B visa dependent on a lottery, what is the actual trend that you are witnessing for international students enrolled in MS Marketing at USC? Do majority of the students have to leave US after 12 months?

If that is the case, won't it be kinda difficult to even get a payback on the investment?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 00:12
Hi tyrion009!

Apologies for a delayed response, I completely missed the notification! So you've asked me multiple questions. I can understand where you are coming from, having faced a very similar situation myself. I'll try to break down my answer and give my my personal rationale as well:

The H1B process is purely lottery based and it doesn't really matter what school you went to or where you work at. So there's no way for me to tell you what would happen to someone after the 12 month OPT period. Honestly, I do not have stats on how many people stayed or had to leave in my program, in the past. In general I have noticed that at times students willingly go back to their home country. In some cases students get relocated and continue to work, while their company applies for the H1B in the next cycle. And of course there are cases wherein students get their visa in the very first cycle. So summing up - this is unfortunately very luck based and I am not fully aware of what experiences my previous classes have had. I am only sharing scenarios that I have seen occur around me.

Your other question is about payback - I am assuming by this you mean being able to pay off your debts + earn a decent living. If your only criteria is to increase your income within the short term, then obviously you would much rather go for a STEM program that gives you more chances at the lottery (still doesn't guarantee a visa though). However, please bear in mind - when you study from a big school with a credible brand name, such as USC, you are making a long term investment. Let me explain further (this was my thought process before I took the plunge):

1. You are getting to be a part of a phenomenal alumni network (one of the top 10 in the world). The Trojan network is a real thing and everyone is willing to help a fellow trojan, I have witnessed this myself. This network will not only help you with your job hunt when you're starting out but will also help you make crucial career progressions in future. To my mind, that is more critical. A career is after all 30-35 years long. So I would encourage you to think from a long term perspective. Debts can be paid off working at your home country as well. :)

2. You are adding credibility to your resume by graduating from a top ranked American university. Studying from a good, well-known school will always open doors for you, especially when you're building a global career (I'm assuming that's why you are considering American schools).

3. The experience of going back to school (if you're working right now) and studying in a diverse classroom is incredible. You learn so much about other markets, cultures, communication, work ethics etc. My first experience was when I was on an exchange program in Europe in 2013 and I loved it. I knew that I had to go back to an international school and gain more of this experience. These learnings will stay with you for a lifetime and are sure to help you at your workplace.

4. Most importantly, what are you really passionate about? I knew after an MBA, an internship and a couple of years of marketing experience that this is where I wanted to be. I did look at STEM courses like analytics but I knew that I wouldn't be true to myself if I were to completely move away from marketing. I have seen that when you're very good at your job, very passionate and driven, companies go out of their way to retain you and help you with your visa. Actually, if you are that passionate about something, you could become a millionaire sitting in your home country as well! Besides, a keen interest in marketing is going to be the first criteria for evaluation of your application for the USC MS Marketing program. So you may want to give some thought to that.

Finally, if you're following the news, you will come across rumours about the new government wanting to change the OPT and H1B rules. That would change everything. The only thing that remains constant is your ambition. Everything else is just logistics and can be dealt with. Hope this helps! :)

tyrion009 wrote:
srutichat

Thank you for your detailed response.

A specific doubt that I had regarding the MS Marketing programs is that almost none of them are STEM designated i.e the OPT duration is only for 12 months. In these cases, what happens after 12 months?

With H1B visa dependent on a lottery, what is the actual trend that you are witnessing for international students enrolled in MS Marketing at USC? Do majority of the students have to leave US after 12 months?

If that is the case, won't it be kinda difficult to even get a payback on the investment?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 04:15
Hi,
I am also an MS in marketing aspirant for fall 2018 USA.
I have acceptance from NYU SPS Integrated marketing program and UT Dallas MS Marketing program.
Anyone has an idea which is a better program in terms of ROI and getting a job ? My interest lies in digital marketing and brand strategy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Re: Master of Science in Marketing programs in USA and EU   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2018, 04:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Master of Science in Marketing programs in USA and EU

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap