GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Feb 2020, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Owen $$ vs Ross $ vs UNC no $

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school would you choose?

• 29% [10]
  • 61% [21]
  • 8% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Owen $$ vs Ross $ vs UNC no $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Mar 2014, 14:06
I got into Owen with a 25k/year scholarship, Ross with a 10k/year scholarship, and UNC with no assistance.

I am currently in investment management and want to transfer into the healthcare industry. As far as job function, I am not positive but I am thinking about healthcare consulting.

Owen is ranked 23-25 or so in national rankings. They have 15-20% of their graduates working in healthcare. With a 50k scholarship I feel confident that they would be sure to give me the tools I need to succeed. They have a healthcare MBA program which would really give me a thorough understanding of the industry. Nashville is a healthcare town so there will be an abundant of local opportunities - though I do not want to stay in the south medium or long-term. Also, though not all their graduates stay in the south I feel like that's where the school has the strongest reputation and network. Cost of living and tuition is cheaper in the south however, so the school really seems to offer me the chance to break into the healthcare industry with a relatively low financial burden.

UNC is ranked 17-20 in national rankings. Approximately 6% of their graduates work in healthcare, and they have the Research Triangle nearby which have local health-focused jobs. I really loved their campus when I visited, but Owen's money makes UNC irrelevant in this conversation IMO.

Ross is ranked 8-12 or so in national rankings. The 20K scholarship is nice but the cost of living is higher than the south. At Ross, I feel like I can get a job anywhere nationally if I want to. Only 6% of their students or so work in healthcare - so I feel like it may be more difficult to locate opportunities that I am interested in than Owen. When I interviewed at the school, I was really impressed with the other students interviewing. Though not everyone who is interviewed will attend, I feel like I'll really appreciate the caliber of student that will attend the school. Though their healthcare concentration is new, I really like the fact that you can take a vast number of classes at other Michigan schools. I like their focus on action-based learning. I feel like I'll learn the most at this school and be challenged the most at this school, but I don't know if financially it will make sense to attend Ross over Owen.

Tuition at Ross is approximately 10K/year greater than Owen - making Ross' scholarship offer a wash...and the cost of living is greater in Ann Arbor than Nashville...so is paying 50k in tuition plus the extra cost of living total really worth going up 15 places or so in the rankings? Will it pay off financially and in other areas that can't be measured? Including Other Guaranteed Compensation first year wages at Owen are ~$130k; at Ross it is ~$150k.

Originally posted by sumylal on 13 Mar 2014, 13:28.
Last edited by bb on 13 Mar 2014, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Added poll
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Owen $$ vs Ross $ vs UNC no $  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 14:15
Thanks for posting! I have added a poll to your post to make it a bit easier and more interactive to see which school the silent observers favor.

I am under the impression that UNC and Duke are the main 2 contenders for Healthcare in the top 20 space. I know much less about Owen. I am a bit surprised that only 6% from UNC are heading to healthcare... Here is their healthcare club with a few students to email and see if they get back with you. http://extranet.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/M ... rship.aspx

However, Owen looks like a nice niche school. I just have not heard about it much.
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 19:02
Ugh I typed up a long post but my response timed out. I looked at all 3...feel free to PM me. Congrats on your acceptances!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 20:38
Shuffle wrote:
Ugh I typed up a long post but my response timed out. I looked at all 3...feel free to PM me. Congrats on your acceptances!

Sorry about that :( :( :(
Often I am able to just hit the back button and find all of my text in the post box. Probably too late, but in case ever happens in the future, that's the trick.
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 05:21
bb wrote:
Shuffle wrote:

Sorry about that :( :( :(
Often I am able to just hit the back button and find all of my text in the post box. Probably too late, but in case ever happens in the future, that's the trick.

No worries - Should've been more clear. It was my internet connection, not the site. I'll try to type some of it up again later.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Owen $$ vs Ross $ vs UNC no $   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2014, 05:21

Owen $$ vs Ross $ vs UNC no $

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste