Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 569 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink]
Hi,

I would have to better understand your career goals and what skills you are hoping to attain during business school. https://marveladmissions.com/the-power-i ... eer-goals/

Happy to discuss further if you are interested in getting help with clarifying career goals and school selection. Please send me your info.

Thanks.

Christine
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

skamal7 wrote:
Can u name few colleges where i have chances of getting into??
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
If you're not applying until Fall 2013 then you can use the next 9 months to strengthen the ECs/leadership portion of your profile. For people who have fallen off the EC train for several years I often recommend thinking back to what you've been involved with in the past (sports, mentoring, fundraising, whatever) and try to do something similar now (doesn't have to be with the same organization or anything, just similar type of cause or activity). This shows some continuity and that you're not just picking up activities just for the sake of an application. 9-12 months (depending on which round you apply in) is plenty of time to get meaningfully involved in one or two activities. That will definitely help your chances at H/S/W.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Hi Marvel Admissions,

I am a first-year analyst at a middle market investment bank (Jefferies, Houlihan Lokey, Harris Williams) in a specialized industry coverage group. Won't be applying for a couple more years obviously. One of my colleagues just was accepted to Tuck R1.

GMAT: 760 (V: 42, Q: 50). SAT: 2280 (V: 720, M: 780, W: 780)

Georgetown University, 3.4/4.0 in Finance & International Business double-major. Tough adjustment to college in freshman and early sophomore years, strong upward trend in junior and senior years (~3.75)

Actively involved in firm recruiting at Georgetown, firm volunteer events (serving homeless in city). In college was music director for 2.5 years (the leader) of a community service-focused acappella group that worked with several notable non-profit organizations and held shows and developed 2 albums with proceeds to charity

Targeting HBS, Wharton, Columbia, MIT Sloan

A big career question: I am considering jumping ship and working for my family business, a ~$100 million in revenue professional foodservice distribution company in a leadership capacity. Do you think this would make me a stronger applicant? (I can provide more detail if you'd like). Or should I stay in IB?

Thanks!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

What is your career goal post MBA? And long-term career goal?
You will have to figure out what you are really interested in doing and how to best utilize your skills.

I do advice family businesses and provide leadership coaching to potential successors. There will be a few success factors for you to consider if you do decide to join the family business such as identifying a non-family mentor for you at the firm.

I do pre-planning career coaching for people who are couple years away from applying to business school. Happy to discuss further if you are interested. Just email me your info - clin@marveladmissions.com

Take care!

Christine Lin

englandco wrote:
Hi Marvel Admissions,

I am a first-year analyst at a middle market investment bank (Jefferies, Houlihan Lokey, Harris Williams) in a specialized industry coverage group. Won't be applying for a couple more years obviously. One of my colleagues just was accepted to Tuck R1.

GMAT: 760 (V: 42, Q: 50). SAT: 2280 (V: 720, M: 780, W: 780)

Georgetown University, 3.4/4.0 in Finance & International Business double-major. Tough adjustment to college in freshman and early sophomore years, strong upward trend in junior and senior years (~3.75)

Actively involved in firm recruiting at Georgetown, firm volunteer events (serving homeless in city). In college was music director for 2.5 years (the leader) of a community service-focused acappella group that worked with several notable non-profit organizations and held shows and developed 2 albums with proceeds to charity

Targeting HBS, Wharton, Columbia, MIT Sloan

A big career question: I am considering jumping ship and working for my family business, a ~$100 million in revenue professional foodservice distribution company in a leadership capacity. Do you think this would make me a stronger applicant? (I can provide more detail if you'd like). Or should I stay in IB?

Thanks!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

If you think you can improve your score, it doesn't hurt to take the GMAT again, and it shows that you are willing to work hard to get into the school. I feel that quant score is one that can be more easily improved in a short period of time.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

Bigblue1010 wrote:
Hello - I have recently been placed on the round 1 waitlist at chicago booth. I am a Big4 auditor, and went to school at a top 10 business undergrad in the northeast. I have my CPA as well. My GMAT is 700 Q44 V41. My question is, in addition to submitting a video, extracurricular LOR, and update essay, is it worth it to re-take my gmat to improve my quantitative score? Any help would be MUCH appreciated, as if I am going to re-take the test, I need to begin studying ASAP.

Thank you so much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Dear Sir/madam,

I am from India and I shall be grateful if you may provide your insights between the two schools W.P.Carey Business School and Eli-Broad Graduate School of management.

Fortunately I received the offer from both the schools with best scholarship. I have been offered with 100% scholarship and 20,000USD stipend from W.P.Carey and 12,000USD fellowship and GA position, which makes my tuition fees nil, from Michigan State University.

I am interested in supply chain management course. I am married and have 7 years of experience in project management-construction in a well reputed oil marketing company of India.

I am confused and in a big dilemma. Being an international student, I feel that financially W.P.Carey is the better option for me but Michigan is known for manufacturing companies where I may feel that I have better prospects of placements. Website placement statistics are equal for both the schools.

Kindly help me to take the best decision. I shall be grateful for your kind advice.

Regards
Ashish Agarwal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Congratulations on getting the scholarship!

I am not too familiar with the two programs you mentioned. If I were you, I would contact current students or recent graduates of both schools to ask them about the details of campus recruiting and job search.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

joinashish wrote:
Dear Sir/madam,

I am from India and I shall be grateful if you may provide your insights between the two schools W.P.Carey Business School and Eli-Broad Graduate School of management.

Fortunately I received the offer from both the schools with best scholarship. I have been offered with 100% scholarship and 20,000USD stipend from W.P.Carey and 12,000USD fellowship and GA position, which makes my tuition fees nil, from Michigan State University.

I am interested in supply chain management course. I am married and have 7 years of experience in project management-construction in a well reputed oil marketing company of India.

I am confused and in a big dilemma. Being an international student, I feel that financially W.P.Carey is the better option for me but Michigan is known for manufacturing companies where I may feel that I have better prospects of placements. Website placement statistics are equal for both the schools.

Kindly help me to take the best decision. I shall be grateful for your kind advice.

Regards
Ashish Agarwal
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey MBA-ers,

I'm currently applying for MBA programs and I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should look at part-time (evening) MBA programs or full-time programs. I'm 28 and have a great gig as a Sales Engineer for IT software, making over $100,000.

I definitely don't want to do this for the rest of my life, as I'm not very interested in IT or engineering. I'd prefer to go into strategic/executive level management and as far as I can tell an MBA is the starting point to getting there.

GMAT: 710

Mid-Tier State School BBA: 3.98 GPA (graduated Summa Cum Laude)

Community college: 3.08 GPA

Overall GPA: 3.46

Financially it'd be difficult to leave this job for a full-time MBA program, but it limits my options to local schools (which aren't bad, but aren't top 10 caliber).

Think it'd be a good idea to shoot for a high-ranked full-time program out of state, and use the local evening schools as a backup? Do I even have a realistic shot at any of the top 10 schools?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

If you can demonstrate strong leadership capability with good extracurricular activities, you would be competitive at the top schools.

If you decide to stay with the current job, you may want to consider online MBA at UNC as well. https://onlinemba.unc.edu/

Good luck!

Christine Lin

ThinkingAboutMBA wrote:
Hey MBA-ers,

I'm currently applying for MBA programs and I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should look at part-time (evening) MBA programs or full-time programs. I'm 28 and have a great gig as a Sales Engineer for IT software, making over $100,000.

I definitely don't want to do this for the rest of my life, as I'm not very interested in IT or engineering. I'd prefer to go into strategic/executive level management and as far as I can tell an MBA is the starting point to getting there.

Financially it'd be difficult to leave this job for a full-time MBA program, but it limits my options to local schools (which aren't bad, but aren't top 10 caliber).

Think it'd be a good idea to shoot for a high-ranked full-time program out of state, and use the local evening schools as a backup? Do I even have a realistic shot at any of the top 10 schools?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! I don't have too much in the way of extracurriculars (been working full-time), but I think the fact my sales career has me interfacing with clients and executive management in a number of different $200 million+ organizations will help out my application, and perhaps help differentiate me from pure quant=and-numbers type people (though the engineering side gives me a lot of that too).

MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi,

If you can demonstrate strong leadership capability with good extracurricular activities, you would be competitive at the top schools.

If you decide to stay with the current job, you may want to consider online MBA at UNC as well.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

ThinkingAboutMBA wrote:
Hey MBA-ers,

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.09
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
I would much appreciate your assistance and opinion. I’m going to try for great schools, but am worried about my chances. I want to work internationally after school, so all of my targets are international.

Here's my profile:

American Latino Male
700 GMAT (41 Q/ 45 V)
3.06 GPA
30 years old

Education:
I received my BBA from 2nd tier state university. During my undergrad I founded a campus political organization and was very active in a campus parish (everything from leading retreats to hosting guest speakers). In addition, I was an active campaigner and volunteer for congressional campaigns. Took an internship my senior year with the US Senate in DC researching proposed trade legislation. Extra-curriculars probably contributed to lower GPA, along with an administrative snafu where an incomplete class that I replaced being counted against my GPA.

Work Experience:
Shortly out of school I left my job at a local bank to be an entrepreneur and start my own business, which was successful for 3 years until the economy went south and I had to close shop. At its peak, the business employed 8, and had monthly sales volume of over $1mil.

From there went to work for my family's small business where I had the title of Marketing Director. Designed and executed promotional campaigns, and oversaw firm's community involvement efforts.

Currently working at Fortune 20 healthcare firm as government analyst. Applying for internal leadership rotational program.

I left the entrepreneurship path because I really wanted to work on a larger scale in strategy with international possibilities. I didn't see that happening if I stayed an entrepreneur.

Post-BBA Activities
Hospice Volunteer
Captain of Flag Football Team

Short term goal:
To work internationally as a strategy consultant or in industry specializing in healthcare.

Dream Schools:
INSEAD (Consulting job opportunities and global perspective, perfect!) Will be applying R1 for Winter 2014 intake
London Business School- R3 of 4 - Really worried this is too late!

More realistic schools:
IE- Rolling admissions, but will be applying mid Jan.
IESE- R3 of 6

Was thinking of Fuqua or Darden, but really want international opportunities.

Among my worries:
1. GMAT Score- My score is very unbalanced, I scored in the 56th percentile in quant, but saved myself with a 97% in verbal. Should I retake?
2. My GPA- Its not like I slacked, but I tried to do too much in school (working, activities, double concentration), and my GPA suffered.
3. Round- LBS will be round 3 (of 4) and IE, while they claim to have rolling admissions, may be filling seats as I write.
4. Finally, what might kill my chances at Insead, if my unbalanced GMAT score didnt already, is my lack of international exposure. (I have none).

Thanks for your thoughts!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi DukeCityMBA,

Feliz año nuevo!

You've got interesting work experience and background, and have accomplished a lot professionally. For INSEAD, demonstrating intellectual capability is really important, since it is a short program. You will have to carefully explain the undergrad GPA.

There's some time to study and retake the GMAT, so I would definitely recommend you doing that. A higher GMAT score would help offset the low GPA a bit. I find that it is easier to improve quant score in a short period of time, so I hope you will be able to improve your score.

For London Business School, I don't think round 3 is too late. I interview many talented candidates for round three over the past ten years, and feel that they have a fair chance of getting in as round 1 or 2 applicants. I was a round 3 applicant myself and got in : )

It is ok if you don't actually have international work experience, but you should definitely try to show your awareness of global business challenges and an openness and desire to learn about different cultures. I'm assuming you are fluent in Spanish, which helps.

How you present yourself in the essays and interviews will be really important. You will have to tell a consistent and strong story showing you have the skills to be successful as a strategy consultant, and articulate why MBA, and passion behind your long-term career goal. https://marveladmissions.com/the-power-i ... eer-goals/

If you are interested in getting admissions consulting help, please feel free to contact me for a complimentary consulting session. clin@marveladmissions.com. I also have advice on transitioning to strategy consulting.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

DukeCityMBA wrote:
I would much appreciate your assistance and opinion. I’m going to try for great schools, but am worried about my chances. I want to work internationally after school, so all of my targets are international.

Here's my profile:

American Latino Male
700 GMAT (41 Q/ 45 V)
3.06 GPA
30 years old

Education:
I received my BBA from 2nd tier state university. During my undergrad I founded a campus political organization and was very active in a campus parish (everything from leading retreats to hosting guest speakers). In addition, I was an active campaigner and volunteer for congressional campaigns. Took an internship my senior year with the US Senate in DC researching proposed trade legislation. Extra-curriculars probably contributed to lower GPA, along with an administrative snafu where an incomplete class that I replaced being counted against my GPA.

Work Experience:
Shortly out of school I left my job at a local bank to be an entrepreneur and start my own business, which was successful for 3 years until the economy went south and I had to close shop. At its peak, the business employed 8, and had monthly sales volume of over $1mil.

From there went to work for my family's small business where I had the title of Marketing Director. Designed and executed promotional campaigns, and oversaw firm's community involvement efforts.

Currently working at Fortune 20 healthcare firm as government analyst. Applying for internal leadership rotational program.

I left the entrepreneurship path because I really wanted to work on a larger scale in strategy with international possibilities. I didn't see that happening if I stayed an entrepreneur.

Post-BBA Activities
Hospice Volunteer
Captain of Flag Football Team

Short term goal:
To work internationally as a strategy consultant or in industry specializing in healthcare.

Dream Schools:
INSEAD (Consulting job opportunities and global perspective, perfect!) Will be applying R1 for Winter 2014 intake
London Business School- R3 of 4 - Really worried this is too late!

More realistic schools:
IE- Rolling admissions, but will be applying mid Jan.
IESE- R3 of 6

Was thinking of Fuqua or Darden, but really want international opportunities.

Among my worries:
1. GMAT Score- My score is very unbalanced, I scored in the 56th percentile in quant, but saved myself with a 97% in verbal. Should I retake?
2. My GPA- Its not like I slacked, but I tried to do too much in school (working, activities, double concentration), and my GPA suffered.
3. Round- LBS will be round 3 (of 4) and IE, while they claim to have rolling admissions, may be filling seats as I write.
4. Finally, what might kill my chances at Insead, if my unbalanced GMAT score didnt already, is my lack of international exposure. (I have none).

Thanks for your thoughts!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Hi,

I am a career changer. I had been working in a small company(only a dozen employees) as a general manager.

I am applying for MBA, and want to get into a leadership development or rotational program after MBA.

in my essays, i put "getting in to a rotational program" as my short-term goal. I also write about how i am interested in general management, and interested in retail or consumer product industry. I also listed one or two rotational program (such as amazon, intel, etc) as examples.

I already got rejected by two schools, so i started looking back into my applications and try to improve.

is my short-term goal too vague and general? if so, any suggestion to improve it.

thanks in advance!!!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
You could certainly be more specific with your short-term goal. IMO, a short-term goal is something that you can see yourself getting upon graduation -- the adcom has to be able to envision this in all respects (how it relates to your past experience, what experiences will you gain during the program that will help you achieve this goal, etc).

I think the goal of a rotational program is fine, but you have to elaborate -- what kind of rotational program, what industry, what functional areas do you want to explore, why do you want to explore those areas, why not focus on just one area?

Hope that at least helps you get started thinking about it!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Rotational program allows participants exposure to different parts of a business, but they do have to end up selecting a function at the end of the program. Is there a particular function you think you may be interested in? It would be worth spending some time thinking and researching right now. Most business schools want people who are clear about their career goals. Some questions for you to consider - What would you like to do after the rotational program? What skills do you have that will make you successful in the post-MBA role?

Check out my recent article on career goals. https://marveladmissions.com/the-power-i ... eer-goals/

Let me know if you are interested in a ding analysis to figure out how to improve your candidacy for other applications. clin@marveladmissions.com.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

zl2012 wrote:
Hi,

I am a career changer. I had been working in a small company(only a dozen employees) as a general manager.

I am applying for MBA, and want to get into a leadership development or rotational program after MBA.

in my essays, i put "getting in to a rotational program" as my short-term goal. I also write about how i am interested in general management, and interested in retail or consumer product industry. I also listed one or two rotational program (such as amazon, intel, etc) as examples.

I already got rejected by two schools, so i started looking back into my applications and try to improve.

is my short-term goal too vague and general? if so, any suggestion to improve it.

thanks in advance!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Marvel Admissions,

My name is Matija and I would really appreciate your help and any assistance in evaluating my chances of getting in some of the top MSc Management programs in Europe. Currently I am back home in Croatia studying for my GMAT exam which am taking on Feb 23rd. I aware of the fact that GMAT is one of the major facts when applying for schools. However, please let me know as it is right now how am I standing compared to other students around the world, also any recommendation, suggestion or anything about the GMAT would be more then welcome.

Education:
DePaul University Chicago, IL June 2012 (Wel respected University in US, especially n Illinois in the field of business)
Bachelor of Science in Commerce: Management/ Entrepreneurship Concentration (3.52 GPA)

Experience:
Hypo-Alpe-Adria Bank d.d., Zagreb, Croatia
Assistant to the Management Bord of Hypo-Alpe-Adria Bank d.d.. (Summer 2011)
• Assisted members of the board on various projects and duties
• Demonstrate strong organizational skills, self motivation and the ability to work well in collaborative environments
• Presentation preparation and marketing research
• Maintaining confidentiality on important information
• Support in events organization

Beatus- Fides d.o.o. Zagreb, Croatia
Manager Assistant (Summer 2010)
• Organizing files
• Perform daily operations of office as assigned
• Working on the field
• Emphasize creative thinking and facilitate the development of the uniqe work
• Managed the communication department and facilitated company’s negotiations with foreign partners

Extra Activities/Honors:
• DePaul University Division 1 Men’s Tennis Member (2008- 2012)
• Big East Conference All Academic Team (2008-2010)
• Big East Conference Academic All Star Team (2008-2012)
• DePaul University Dean’s Academic Honors List (2008-2012)
• Scholarship student-athlete

I was a college tennis athlete for full 4 years while being in the college, last two years I was also a captain of the team who led his team to be top 35 programs on the NCAA rankings.

Volunteer Experience:

St. Vincent DePaul Service Day (2008-2012)
GIve Kids The World (helping mentally disabled kids by providing them care, food, attention and joy for the entire day in Orlando, FLorida)
Safe House (working with ex-inmates by improving their education skills and improving their communication with others. I was there for 3 months-4 days a week in Chicago)

Please let me know if there is anything else I should mention in my brief resume.

Schools I am planning to apply for masters in management (not MBA):
LSB
Manhaim University
Cass Business School (London)
Rotterdam/Erasmus University
ESADE
EDHEC (France)
ESEC (France)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Please Evaluate my profile and suggest the best fits

Planning to apply for Fall 2014.

Please find my details below:

1. GMAT: 700 (Q50, V33). Awaiting AWA and IR scores. (1st attempt). Yet to give TOEFL

2. Academics :
10th - 84%
12th - 94%
B.tech in Computer Science(2009 Passout) - CGPA 8.3/10 (First Class with Distinction) from a good Indian University.

Extra Curricular Activities During B.tech:
I) Won First prize in Robotics in a National Technical Symposium.
II) Won First prize in Networking at a National Tech festival.
III) Won First prize in Web Designing for consecutive 2 years conducted by Association of Computer Engineers.
IV) Completed 3 Projects under Microsoft Student2Business Academic Program.
V) Apart from above, I have also organized many events.

3. Work Ex. :
I have been working for Wipro Technologies for the past 3 years(would be 4.5 by fall 2014).
Right from my joining, I have worked for big Telecom Clients namely Nokia and Qualcomm. And, I always worked at client locations.
- I have worked at Nokia HQ in Finland for 11 months. Apart from technical aspects, I assign tasks to 8 member Testing team, I host the daily Integrator's meeting where teams working on various modules participate from all over the world. I track their Issues and resolve them. Also, assisting offshore team when and where necessary.
- From the past 5 months, I have been working as a Automation consultant at Qualcomm location in India where I have automated many Manual activities performed by the Integrators.
- I also give technical training's to new members of the team.

4. Post-MBA :
Work as a business analyst initially and later move to a managerial role for telecom giants.

--- Hobbies: Cooking(a lot), playing indoor and outdoor games.
--- Actively organize various festivals in the colony by collecting funds and also the food I make would be served in those gatherings.

I am interested in Information Systems and Finance.

I have shortlisted few colleges namely CMU-tepper(Information Systems), Univ. of maryland - college park, Rice, Ohio State Univ and Vanderbilt Owen.

I want to know if the above universities are safe and if not in what areas do I need to improve during this 1 year time. Also suggest any other good universities that I can look into.

Thanks in Advance!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15