Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 23:10 It is currently 14 May 2024, 23:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]
wluck wrote:
I thought Tuck provided all first years with a laptop (and the cost of the laptop is included in our program fee). Has this changed? On the 2017 website, it states that we have to purchase our own laptop.

Yup they changed this to give students more flexibility. We are moving onto a visual desktop system which means you will have access to all the software / connectivity you need at Tuck. I think the biggest positives are that:

a) people who already have a laptop are not forced to buy another one
b) you can use Mac laptops instead because currently we are all using Windows and some people found that frustrating
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Flyte/Domotron,

Thanks for doing this AMA. Really appreciate it! My question is centered around the CDO. I have a pretty specific geographic location I want to work post-MBA that isn't Boston, NYC, SanFran, Chicago etc. How closely will the CDO work with me to help me find an internship/full-time offer outside of providing me a network of Tuckies?

Also, for those of us who have an idea of what we want to do post-grad, but are not 100% sure, does Tuck do anything early on to help you decide before companies start coming to recruit?

Thanks!!
Current Student
Send PM
vaj18psu wrote:
Flyte/Domotron,

Thanks for doing this AMA. Really appreciate it! My question is centered around the CDO. I have a pretty specific geographic location I want to work post-MBA that isn't Boston, NYC, SanFran, Chicago etc. How closely will the CDO work with me to help me find an internship/full-time offer outside of providing me a network of Tuckies?

Also, for those of us who have an idea of what we want to do post-grad, but are not 100% sure, does Tuck do anything early on to help you decide before companies start coming to recruit?

Thanks!!

Depending on the industry / location, they may have people you can get in contact with both Tuckies and non-Tuckies. It really depend on those two things though. At the end of the day, and this is true of all schools, if you are gunning for someone a bit more niche or in a more interesting location, you will have to anticipate doing a lot of your own legwork i.e. reach out to alumni, expect to get intros from alumni to other people to really get deep into that network. The CDO will do all they can to help facilitate some of these conversations.

As for deciding on what you want to do. So trust me there is PLENTY of time to decide what you want to do. The great thing is that companies come on campus very early (think 3rd week of September) to present. This gives you time to attend lots of different sessions, meet different people from different industries, and find your path. The idea of these sessions is for you to learn more about the company/industry. You don't necessarily know what you want to do by this point and it's totally ok. You won't have to apply for these internships until November so you have plenty of time to decide. The CDO also have 1-on-1 with each student at the start of school. This time can be utilized however you like including talking about potential options and feasibility.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Thanks for doing this, greatly appreciate your time!

1. I am really hoping to get on-campus housing and already filled out the app. I understand that there's a lottery. What would you guess are the chances of being able to secure on-campus housing from the lottery?

2. Assuming I get on-campus housing, am I also given a spot to park my car?

3. Can those who live on-campus have guests over? If so, how often?

4. Do you see any students doing internships during the school year in boston/nyc (assuming they scheduled their classes maybe Mon.-Wed.), or maybe local internships during the school year?

Thanks again!
Current Student
Send PM
lilb837 wrote:
Thanks for doing this, greatly appreciate your time!

1. I am really hoping to get on-campus housing and already filled out the app. I understand that there's a lottery. What would you guess are the chances of being able to secure on-campus housing from the lottery?

2. Assuming I get on-campus housing, am I also given a spot to park my car?

3. Can those who live on-campus have guests over? If so, how often?

4. Do you see any students doing internships during the school year in boston/nyc (assuming they scheduled their classes maybe Mon.-Wed.), or maybe local internships during the school year?

Thanks again!

Answers:

1. Pretty good 75-80% I would guess.

2. You will have a spot to park your car but it is roughly 15 minutes walk away. There is however a shuttle to that parking lot Mon-Fri.

3. Yes you can have guests over. There is no limit at all unless your SO basically live with you for the entire term I doubt anyone would notice.

4. I have heard of people doing some work for companies during the school year but it's not too common. To be honest, I don't know how much value this adds. Also you won't have the ability to schedule your classes for Mon-Wed until spring term.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Hi,

I am preparing my application for Round 3 with focus on healthcare management. Wondering if you could comment on whether it helps to have a background in healthcare already (clinical and applied biomechanics research at hospital/ivy med school) and how popular among 1st year students is HCM at Tuck or if there is a set number of candidates that Tuck fills every year to enhance this program? I understand tuck has the smallest intake among top b schools which puts the number of students per specialization at an even lower ratio but is there an appeal to choosing healthcare at Tuck?

Thanks for helping out,
MM
Current Student
Send PM
MutatisMutandis wrote:
Hi,

I am preparing my application for Round 3 with focus on healthcare management. Wondering if you could comment on whether it helps to have a background in healthcare already (clinical and applied biomechanics research at hospital/ivy med school) and how popular among 1st year students is HCM at Tuck or if there is a set number of candidates that Tuck fills every year to enhance this program? I understand tuck has the smallest intake among top b schools which puts the number of students per specialization at an even lower ratio but is there an appeal to choosing healthcare at Tuck?

Thanks for helping out,
MM

Just to clarify, we do not have a healthcare management track per say like Fuqua so there is no set limit on how many people Tuck takes that are interested in healthcare. However, there are a ton of healthcare courses available due to our close affiliation with Geisel Medical School and you are free to load up on healthcare electives. There are cross over courses as well as individuals who are pursuing MD/MBAs or MBA/MPH programs. I don't think our relatively smaller class size is a disadvantage at all. If anything, there is less competition for the type of roles you would be looking to recruit for. For internships, it definitely feels like there are more healthcare jobs than there are candidates looking to get into healthcare.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
domotron wrote:
MutatisMutandis wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for helping out,
MM

Just to clarify, we do not have a healthcare management track per say like Fuqua so there is no set limit on how many people Tuck takes that are interested in healthcare. However, there are a ton of healthcare courses available due to our close affiliation with Geisel Medical School and you are free to load up on healthcare electives. There are cross over courses as well as individuals who are pursuing MD/MBAs or MBA/MPH programs. I don't think our relatively smaller class size is a disadvantage at all. If anything, there is less competition for the type of roles you would be looking to recruit for. For internships, it definitely feels like there are more healthcare jobs than there are candidates looking to get into healthcare.

Great,
Thanks for the info. It is good to know tuck takes in candidates specifically targeting healthcare even though they dont have a separate track which is not a big difference anyway, but im hoping my chances would improve if i have a part gmat score, even though im applying late. I registered on tuck connections and sent a couple of emails in, but havent heard back. I guess this forum gets faster results than tuck connections :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
Hey Tuckies!
I am searching with my wife (also a T'17) a place to rent near the campus (Sachem quite far for us)
I've checked the suggested websites - dartlist.com / dartmouthre.com but they offer a few options.. most of them in Sachem

Any suggestions how to find a 1-bdr apt near the campus?
Thanks and cheers!
Current Student
Send PM
Sk1ver wrote:
Hey Tuckies!
I am searching with my wife (also a T'17) a place to rent near the campus (Sachem quite far for us)
I've checked the suggested websites - dartlist.com / dartmouthre.com but they offer a few options.. most of them in Sachem

Thanks and cheers!

I would definitely not rule out Sachem because it is a great location for couples. It is actually not THAT far and you get plugged into a great partners community there.

I would keep checking on those websites you mentioned because more and more will become available. Dartmouth housing only recently released a new set of listings for housing this coming year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Just to second Domotron, Sachem is really not far at all. There is a shuttle in the mornings. Plus there is a group called Sachem Rides that operates as a ride sharing / carpooling group throughout the day. Happy to discuss further if you want to PM me.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1363 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Hi Flyte,
Thanks for helping others. I want to know something. Is it mandatory to have a car? I do not own a car in my country. Can I still learn driving and get a driving licence? if I choose to live off campus, should I own car? or is it with walking distance?
I do not know whether it is the case for other international students or I'm strange case. :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hello!

I'm a prospective international applicant. I will be visiting Tuck in mid September and will apply this fall. I was wondering if, in case I can't arrange the applicant-initiated interview for any of the days I will be there, would it still be possible to meet up with current students and attend a class?

Thanks!
Best,
kheown
Current Student
Send PM
kheown wrote:
Hello!

I'm a prospective international applicant. I will be visiting Tuck in mid September and will apply this fall. I was wondering if, in case I can't arrange the applicant-initiated interview for any of the days I will be there, would it still be possible to meet up with current students and attend a class?

Thanks!
Best,
kheown

Hi you should be able to have an applicant initiated interview wait for the dates for go live. Typically it comes as part of a package of visit + interview + class visit + lunch with current students! The only time there would not be a class visit is during some kind of break.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
domotron wrote:
Sk1ver wrote:
Hey Tuckies!

Thanks and cheers!

I would definitely not rule out Sachem because it is a great location for couples. It is actually not THAT far and you get plugged into a great partners community there.

I would keep checking on those websites you mentioned because more and more will become available. Dartmouth housing only recently released a new set of listings for housing this coming year.

Thanks! We ended up with Sachem, as it is the best price/quality option in the area! See you soon in Hanover! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I have two questions -
1) What're the pros & cons of Early Action Round?
2) I'm equally passionate about Duke and Tuck and both of them have EA. Is it advisable to go for EA rounds for both of them?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
nitinarjun10 wrote:
Hi,

I have two questions -
1) What're the pros & cons of Early Action Round?
2) I'm equally passionate about Duke and Tuck and both of them have EA. Is it advisable to go for EA rounds for both of them?

I would probably advise against doing Duke EA if you aren't sure what school you want to go to. Duke EA is binding and you will have to enroll there. Tuck's EA is basically just their Round 1.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts