It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 06:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2014
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 20:54
mbain15 wrote:
nitinarjun10 wrote:
Hi,

I have two questions -
1) What're the pros & cons of Early Action Round?
2) I'm equally passionate about Duke and Tuck and both of them have EA. Is it advisable to go for EA rounds for both of them?


I would probably advise against doing Duke EA if you aren't sure what school you want to go to. Duke EA is binding and you will have to enroll there. Tuck's EA is basically just their Round 1.




Thanks for replying.
On the Duke website the admission committee claims that around 25% of the overall admitted applicants were from EA round. That means they are actually justifying the advantage of applying early. It would be interesting to know if any such estimate is also available for Tuck - Tuckies please comment here :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2014
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 20:58
nitinarjun10 wrote:
mbain15 wrote:
nitinarjun10 wrote:
Hi,

I have two questions -
1) What're the pros & cons of Early Action Round?
2) I'm equally passionate about Duke and Tuck and both of them have EA. Is it advisable to go for EA rounds for both of them?


I would probably advise against doing Duke EA if you aren't sure what school you want to go to. Duke EA is binding and you will have to enroll there. Tuck's EA is basically just their Round 1.




Thanks for replying.
On the Duke website the admission committee claims that around 25% of the overall admitted applicants were from EA round. That means they are actually justifying the advantage of applying early. It would be interesting to know if any such estimate is also available for Tuck - Tuckies please comment here :)



A correction here, this is what Duke claims -
" In 2013-2014, we admitted 25% of students who applied Early Decision and 10% of students who applied Regular Decision"

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Posts: 28

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Location: Russian Federation
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 20:21
nitinarjun10 wrote:
mbain15 wrote:
nitinarjun10 wrote:
Hi,

I have two questions -
1) What're the pros & cons of Early Action Round?
2) I'm equally passionate about Duke and Tuck and both of them have EA. Is it advisable to go for EA rounds for both of them?


I would probably advise against doing Duke EA if you aren't sure what school you want to go to. Duke EA is binding and you will have to enroll there. Tuck's EA is basically just their Round 1.




Thanks for replying.
On the Duke website the admission committee claims that around 25% of the overall admitted applicants were from EA round. That means they are actually justifying the advantage of applying early. It would be interesting to know if any such estimate is also available for Tuck - Tuckies please comment here :)


I think the figure of 25% is fair for Tuck as well. I won't recommend going to Duke EA for the binding reason, but I will recommend you to apply in EA for Tuck.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2011
Posts: 201

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 93

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 16:33
Do people end up where they wanted? Let's assume that I want to go to san-fran and I don't want to end up east coast. Will I have a high chance of doing that?
_________________

Stay positive! ^.^


My blog - http://www.mbafortech.com

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 93

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Current Tuckie!
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 542

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Location: United Kingdom
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 17:56
kvazar wrote:
Do people end up where they wanted? Let's assume that I want to go to san-fran and I don't want to end up east coast. Will I have a high chance of doing that?


Absolutely, there is a growing West Coast alum network and whether you want to work there in tech or other industries it is definitely available. It is just a case of focusing your attention on that area and networking to find the right opportunity.

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2011
Posts: 201

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 93

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 01:16
domotron wrote:
kvazar wrote:
Do people end up where they wanted? Let's assume that I want to go to san-fran and I don't want to end up east coast. Will I have a high chance of doing that?


Absolutely, there is a growing West Coast alum network and whether you want to work there in tech or other industries it is definitely available. It is just a case of focusing your attention on that area and networking to find the right opportunity.


Thanks! That's my number one concern to be honest, I really want to get there.
I have contacted some alumni, but they are from old classes and most of them say that it's better to get to Haas or Stanford to have a definite chance, but the recent classes say that Tuck has all you need, seems like there was some change )
_________________

Stay positive! ^.^


My blog - http://www.mbafortech.com

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 93

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 58

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Schools: Darden '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 06:35
Kudos for the helpful topic!
I am planning to apply at November Rd and I was curious about the possibility to reach to alumni that works at PE?
My career plan is to land a merger consulting job right after MBA and switch to PE in the long run. I know it is very difficult to jump to PE w/o relevant background, that's why I think I might need alumni network to increase my chance on the switch.
Or do you guys think own network rather than alumni network will be of strategic importance after having worked 5+ years after MBA?
May I have your precious thoughts please?
Cheers

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 216

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 73

Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 06:49
Hi domotron,

I will be interviewing with Tuck Adcom coming Sunday, would appreciate if you can give me any tip or suggestion.
_________________

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 73

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Current Tuckie!
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 542

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Location: United Kingdom
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 17:23
jugglerG2 wrote:
Hi domotron,

I will be interviewing with Tuck Adcom coming Sunday, would appreciate if you can give me any tip or suggestion.


Be yourself! It should be a good conversation and a great opportunity to talk about the things that excite you and achievements you have had.

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Current Tuckie!
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 542

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Location: United Kingdom
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 17:31
optimusTR wrote:
Kudos for the helpful topic!
I am planning to apply at November Rd and I was curious about the possibility to reach to alumni that works at PE?
My career plan is to land a merger consulting job right after MBA and switch to PE in the long run. I know it is very difficult to jump to PE w/o relevant background, that's why I think I might need alumni network to increase my chance on the switch.
Or do you guys think own network rather than alumni network will be of strategic importance after having worked 5+ years after MBA?
May I have your precious thoughts please?
Cheers


Once you at Tuck, the alumni definitely come into play and PE is no different. However, you are correct in saying PE is generally a difficult industry to break into mainly because marketing or tech or banking, they don't hire 10s of interns or full time employees. They will hire 1 or 2 when the need arises. Merger consulting may not get you into PE unless you are looking at operational roles for PE funds (think consulting for PE portfolio companies). If you really want to go into PE in an investment role then banking would be a more natural route as that move is far more common.

As for whether your own network is more important than the alumni network after MBA, that question is not easy to answer because:

1) They may have overlap certainly after attending an MBA program a lot of your own network overlaps with the MBA network
2) It depends on industry because if you work in a especially niche area then your own network may be more helpful but if you are looking to switch industries and think about a switch an alumni network would be receptive in taking your call

Overall, Tuck's alumni network is very strong even after way after graduation. We have many reunion events on campus and the attendance is usually very strong. Add that to our high alumni giving rate, it shows that alumni are engaged in the school and that they will forever be a source of help/advice if you need it.

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 19:55
Hi Tuckies: Thanks for your time!!

I am applying in the November round. My campus interview is coming up on 11/3. Is it the case that between 11/3 and 2/12 (decision date) I pretty much won't hear anything regarding my application?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Current Tuckie!
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 542

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Location: United Kingdom
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 19:09
guoguo914 wrote:
Hi Tuckies: Thanks for your time!!

I am applying in the November round. My campus interview is coming up on 11/3. Is it the case that between 11/3 and 2/12 (decision date) I pretty much won't hear anything regarding my application?


That's correct. I was in the same boat two years ago. It's a tough wait but I felt good knowing that I had an opportunity to interview and put forward my candidacy!

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 19:25
domotron wrote:
guoguo914 wrote:
Hi Tuckies: Thanks for your time!!

I am applying in the November round. My campus interview is coming up on 11/3. Is it the case that between 11/3 and 2/12 (decision date) I pretty much won't hear anything regarding my application?


That's correct. I was in the same boat two years ago. It's a tough wait but I felt good knowing that I had an opportunity to interview and put forward my candidacy!


Got it. Thanks man!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 58

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Schools: Darden '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 09:30
domotron wrote:
optimusTR wrote:
Kudos for the helpful topic!
I am planning to apply at November Rd and I was curious about the possibility to reach to alumni that works at PE?
My career plan is to land a merger consulting job right after MBA and switch to PE in the long run. I know it is very difficult to jump to PE w/o relevant background, that's why I think I might need alumni network to increase my chance on the switch.
Or do you guys think own network rather than alumni network will be of strategic importance after having worked 5+ years after MBA?
May I have your precious thoughts please?
Cheers


Once you at Tuck, the alumni definitely come into play and PE is no different. However, you are correct in saying PE is generally a difficult industry to break into mainly because marketing or tech or banking, they don't hire 10s of interns or full time employees. They will hire 1 or 2 when the need arises. Merger consulting may not get you into PE unless you are looking at operational roles for PE funds (think consulting for PE portfolio companies). If you really want to go into PE in an investment role then banking would be a more natural route as that move is far more common.

As for whether your own network is more important than the alumni network after MBA, that question is not easy to answer because:

1) They may have overlap certainly after attending an MBA program a lot of your own network overlaps with the MBA network
2) It depends on industry because if you work in a especially niche area then your own network may be more helpful but if you are looking to switch industries and think about a switch an alumni network would be receptive in taking your call

Overall, Tuck's alumni network is very strong even after way after graduation. We have many reunion events on campus and the attendance is usually very strong. Add that to our high alumni giving rate, it shows that alumni are engaged in the school and that they will forever be a source of help/advice if you need it.

Thank you for your detailed answer domotron. I really appreciate. I know that IB is the natural stepping stone for PE but I find Consulting attractive as well and it would be the job I would like to pursue rather than IB if I can't switch.
May I ask another question then: is it possible for internationals to land MBB jobs in US offices? Do you have any classmate who did that?
Thanks!

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Current Tuckie!
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 542

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Location: United Kingdom
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 18:01
optimusTR wrote:
Thank you for your detailed answer domotron. I really appreciate. I know that IB is the natural stepping stone for PE but I find Consulting attractive as well and it would be the job I would like to pursue rather than IB if I can't switch.
May I ask another question then: is it possible for internationals to land MBB jobs in US offices? Do you have any classmate who did that?
Thanks!

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk


Yup internationals do land MBB jobs in the US offices but typically I find the classmates that succeed are those with great English simply because they are competing against native English speakers for these jobs. However, consulting to PE is not a well trodden path especially for investing roles. A lot consultants shift to PE in operations role with the aim of improving performance at PE portfolio companies.

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2015, 18:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 55 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mbsingh



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.