Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 11:59 It is currently 02 May 2024, 11:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 502
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
AFAIK, Yes those are two different essays, although both are optional.
dolongdao wrote:
I am a bit confused and was hoping someone could help me understand.

From the Wharton application in the "Essays" tab:

"First-time applicant and re-applicants (those who applied to begin the program in the fall of 2015 or 2014) are required to complete one essay. The 2nd essay below is optional.

The Admissions Committee wants to get to know you on both a professional and personal level. We encourage you to be introspective, candid and succinct. Most importantly, we suggest you be yourself.

(Required) What do you hope to gain both personally and professionally from the Wharton MBA? (500 words)
(Optional) Please highlight any additional information that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about your candidacy. (400 words)

Optional Essay

First-time applicants can use this essay if you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Committee should be aware (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weaknesses in your application). (250 words)

All re-applicants (those who applied for Fall 2015 or 2014) are also required to complete the Optional Essay. Please use this space to explain how you have reflected on the previous decision on your application and to discuss any updates on your candidacy (e.g., changes in your professional life, additional coursework, extra curricular/volunteer engagements). You may also use this section to address any extenuating circumstances. (250 words)"

Is the 400 word optional essay (the one regarding additional information for the adcom) different from the 250 word optional essay (the one regarding extenuating circumstances)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
MV23 wrote:
AFAIK, Yes those are two different essays, although both are optional.
dolongdao wrote:

"First-time applicant and re-applicants (those who applied to begin the program in the fall of 2015 or 2014) are required to complete one essay. The 2nd essay below is optional.

The Admissions Committee wants to get to know you on both a professional and personal level. We encourage you to be introspective, candid and succinct. Most importantly, we suggest you be yourself.

(Required) What do you hope to gain both personally and professionally from the Wharton MBA? (500 words)
(Optional) Please highlight any additional information that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about your candidacy. (400 words)

Optional Essay

First-time applicants can use this essay if you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Committee should be aware (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weaknesses in your application). (250 words)

All re-applicants (those who applied for Fall 2015 or 2014) are also required to complete the Optional Essay. Please use this space to explain how you have reflected on the previous decision on your application and to discuss any updates on your candidacy (e.g., changes in your professional life, additional coursework, extra curricular/volunteer engagements). You may also use this section to address any extenuating circumstances. (250 words)"

Is the 400 word optional essay (the one regarding additional information for the adcom) different from the 250 word optional essay (the one regarding extenuating circumstances)?

I found that really confusing as well. Wharton's application on the whole was one of the tougher ones to navigate. Regardless, just finished submitting my app...and now my watch begins.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 502
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Just submitted my application! And that concludes an application filled summer. :)
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Are you sitting at home drafting your Wharton essay about what you hope to gain? Do you wonder how often goals actually change once students get on campus? Wharton students reveal their stories, what they plan to learn at Wharton and where they see themselves after graduation.

Source: https://whartonmagazine.com/blogs/talkin ... -students/

Quote:
First-year Wharton MBAs come to campus with preconceived notions about their goals for their education and their future careers. Some do complete that linear, focused course. By the end of their two years, though, many Wharton MBAs are doing and being things they never thought possible before.

With that in mind, we wanted to capture those initial hopes and dreams while they are still fresh in the students’ minds. So during the first weeks of classes, we caught up with a handful of the students to get a quick read on their expectations and plans.

Wharton MBA Divya Narayanan
Divya Narayanan
If there’s one thing you want to be able to do when you graduate in two years, we asked, what would that be?

“Can I have two?” responds Divya Narayanan, who comes to Wharton by way of Google and Bain. “First, I want to learn to manage a team in a way that’s authentic to who I am. Second, I want to be able to perform fearlessly when I’m least confident—whether singing in Battle of the Bands or crewing a ship in the Pacific.”

(Narayanan is, of course, referring to two events that highlight an MBA’s year: the Tall Ships Sailing expedition put on by Wharton Leadership Ventures and the rock-out presented by the Wharton Marketing Club, footage of which is below.)

Other first-year Wharton MBA students have leadership in mind too.

Allie Miller, whose marketing background includes winning national ad competitions for Smucker’s and Hasbro, is building an experience that “isn’t merely an academic exercise.”

Wharton MBA Allie Miller
Allie Miller
“As I’m engaging and absorbing in the classroom, I also want to be honing my skills of action—stepping into leadership roles and contributing to my community. At the end of my two years at Wharton, I want to proudly look back and say: I’m ready to put my learning into practice,” she says.

Unexpectedly, the Wharton MBA experience can also be a time to learn how to follow a leader too. Vince Kuchar is fresh out of 10 years in the U.S. Army. During seven deployments, he earned three Bronze Stars, a Joint Service Commendation Medal for Valor, and two Meritorious Service Medals for command of over 100 soldiers.

Wharton MBA Vince Kuchar
Vince Kuchar
“I spent 10 years in leadership roles. Coming out of Wharton and being able to be a great follower and a great team member is something I am really focused on because I haven’t been on peer-oriented or peer-led teams in 10 years,” he says.

Wharton MBA student priorities also mesh with School priorities—namely, entrepreneurship and business analytics.

Wharton MBA Sichen Huang
Sichen Huang
Sichen Huang comes to Wharton already with an impressive entrepreneurial resume of bending business models and pushing boundaries in China—for instance, by co-founding Kunlun Fight, China’s leading mixed martial arts TV show.

“I want to capitalize on the experience at Wharton and take my interests in entrepreneurship further with our fellow classmates to explore exciting business opportunities in China,” he says.

James Kwon is owner of Coreanos, a Mexican restaurant brand that’s one of the fastest-growing in Korea. He aims for more growth for it—while he also plans to explore franchise consulting and food-and-beverage venture investing during his time at Wharton.

James Kwon takes a selfie during his first Wharton MBA learning team dinner.
James Kwon takes a selfie during his first Wharton MBA learning team dinner.
Another case in point: Trevor Young, who is a three-time national and two-time international medalist in figure skating—and alternate for the 2010 Olympic Games for pairs figure skating. His goal after two years at Wharton:

“I want to assist young athletes achieve their goals by helping them unlock the power of analytics in their given sports. The power of data in the athletic community is continuing to gain global momentum, but most sports are just starting to scratch the surface when it comes to using data to further an athlete’s development. I want to help bring sports analytics to the millions training to reach their potential.”

Wharton MBA Trevor Young
Trevor Young
Yes, students’ backgrounds can drive their first-year goals at Wharton (but don’t be surprised when they change by year two).

Want to feel some of the excitement that’s coursing through first-year Wharton MBAs? Watch below for the welcome video created for the Wharton MBA Class of 2017 when they were first admitted this past December.

Originally posted by PersonalMBACoach on 26 Sep 2015, 22:18.
Last edited by bb on 26 Sep 2015, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
removed spam advertisement
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
Send PM
munkee2018 wrote:
Anyone applying to the Lauder Institute joint degree? Would love some insight on the Oral Proficiency assessment!

I'm struggling with the Lauder essay. 800 words is a LOT!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Just submitted my application. Ross and Duke are next in line.
Good luck everyone
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Butterflies wrote:
munkee2018 wrote:
Anyone applying to the Lauder Institute joint degree? Would love some insight on the Oral Proficiency assessment!

I'm struggling with the Lauder essay. 800 words is a LOT!

Me, too! I've only had one international experience so I'm trying to expand on that as much as possible, but it's really rather difficult to fill 800 words when the previous essays all told you to be thrifty with words! :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE:Consulting (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
This might be a silly question, but I am 4 words over the 500 limit - do I need to continue cutting, or is that close enough?
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
There truly are no silly questions.

And you're totally fine. I usually tell my clients to just be sure they're within 5% of the word count (some consultants say up to within 10% is OK). The schools just eyeball the essays, they don't run a word-counter on them or anything when you upload them as PDFs.

Good luck!

cathoward wrote:
This might be a silly question, but I am 4 words over the 500 limit - do I need to continue cutting, or is that close enough?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, they're two totally different essays with different focuses and word-count limits. I wrote a longer response earlier in this same thread about what I usually tell clients to put in each (although the 250-word one isn't always necessary if there are no red flags in your materials) but don't have time to scroll and find it right now -- but perhaps you can!

Good luck!

dolongdao wrote:

Optional Essay

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
k did it.
reapplicant here - doing HCM this time though.
good luck all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I've got two questions about the application form:

1. The Activity section allows only 25 characters for each organization's name. What if my org/club has a long name? Can I use an abbreviation here since it's also covered by my resume?
2. According to the FAQs on their website, Wharton considers internships/part-time jobs part of the work experience, so I'm assuming I should include my college summer internship information in the Work Experience section?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Just submitted, but still waiting on a recommender to finish. Good luck everyone!
Send PM
Expert Reply
1) Yes, you can totally use abbreviations in that field.
2) Yes, you can include your summer internship information.

Good luck!

KCheetah wrote:
I've got two questions about the application form:

1. The Activity section allows only 25 characters for each organization's name. What if my org/club has a long name? Can I use an abbreviation here since it's also covered by my resume?
2. According to the FAQs on their website, Wharton considers internships/part-time jobs part of the work experience, so I'm assuming I should include my college summer internship information in the Work Experience section?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Management Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
In!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,

I have a few questions and I was hoping if someone could help.

In the Academic sections, the Wharton's instruction page says the following:

"Beginning with the high school from which you received a diploma, please complete the Education and Transcript section for all of your academic experiences, including your bachelors or bachelors-equivalent degree, study abroad, summer school, and post-baccalaureate classes. If you have more information than the three forms will allow, please use the Microsoft Excel 97 Multiple Transcript Template to record your additional education.

To ensure the quick processing of your application, we are no longer accepting mailed transcripts at the time of application. Instead, please submit your transcript(s) as a scanned document or use the excel template, found in the downloadable forms section to the left. Use the upload feature, provided at each school listing, to submit your self-reported transcript(s).

If admitted, you will be required to provide official transcripts of all previous academic work to verify the information provided in the uploaded documents. If there are discrepancies between the self-reported academic work and official records, your offer of admission will be withdrawn. Offers of admission are not binding until academic records are verified."

However, I don't see a downloadable section to get the excel template to enter by courses post bachelors that I just took for a non-degree.

Also, do I have to enter my study abroad even though the drop down for colleges doesn't even list it as an option.

Any help will be really appreciated!!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Submitted!!