It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 17:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '17 (M)
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 11:53
So, what's the process for sending recommendation requests to our recommenders?? Doesn't seem like we can access the recommendation part of the application until we've done the prior sections...
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 15:26
Bee_7 wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning to apply in R1 this year and although I am prepping for GMAT, I was wondering if an old but valid GRE score could be used too/instead? In case GMAT, as unpredictable as it can get, would not work? Anybody considering on using a GRE score here?

Best!

Yes. You can use an old GRE if you prefer, as long as its within the last five years. More applicants still take the GMAT rather than the GRE, but the GRE is accepted. If you want to discuss the differences, I'm happy to discuss further.

Good luck and reach out if you are looking for individual tutoring, even if just to brush up on some skills! scott@personalmbacoach.com

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 15:40
ChaoticTheory wrote:
So, what's the process for sending recommendation requests to our recommenders?? Doesn't seem like we can access the recommendation part of the application until we've done the prior sections...

Once you start the process, you will see where you fill out your reference contact info. This activates the system and automatically sends them what they need.

You probably saw the questions, which are:

1) How does the candidate’s performance compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples. (300 words)

2) Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response. (250 words)

(Optional) Is there anything else we should know?

It is a good idea to give your reference high level bullet points about your accomplishments to help facilitate the LOR writing process for them. There is a little bit of an art to the content of the letters. Feel free to reach out to discuss more or watch for other blog posts I will write on this.

Good luck!

Personal MBA Coach

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 07:28
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Wharton Class of 2018 Essay Question Analysis
-Scott Edinburgh, Personal MBA Coach

Wharton kept the same essays from last year after changing them around for the last few years. These questions get to the root of your desire to obtain a Wharton MBA. They force you to think about what you will gain personally and professionally, which speaks to some of Wharton’s values. They also do a good job separating candidates who truly did their homework to understand the school from those who quickly browsed the website.
------------------
Required Essay: What do you hope to gain both personally and professionally from the Wharton MBA? (500 words)
------------------

How to answer the question

First, make sure to do your homework. Wharton is a unique program and it will be very easy for admissions to know whether you understand that. (Speaking as an alum who knows the program inside and out!) Beyond going to information sessions, attending webinars and researching online, try connecting with current students and/or alumni. If you are close to Philadelphia and can visit the campus, you should do that. If that is not feasible, by talking with a student or alum, you can glean some very valuable information. Do your best to understand what makes up Wharton’s culture and how you will fit in.

What are some things you could discuss?
• *Briefly* mention your past experience / knowledge only to the extent it is relevant to your future goals.
•Write about your career goals, with a focus on what you plan to gain at Wharton.
•Focus on what you will learn on campus (through classes, GIP, Treks or other offerings) and the connections you will make.
•Where are you today personally and where do you want to be after your MBA? How will Wharton help you get there? Write about the social dynamics on campus and how you will evolve by immersing yourself in that culture.
•What do you need to gain from a professional standpoint to reach your goals and how will Wharton (ideally this is specific to Wharton) help you get there?

What should you keep in mind while writing?
•Different from a standard career goals essay, this asks you to reflect on what you hope to gain while at Wharton.
•Wharton really cares about the personal part of this question!
•Student life and student involvement on campus is different at Wharton than at some other top schools, so be sure to understand that difference and if it is relevant for you, how you will fit into and benefit from the experience.
•While you should discuss your goals, at least briefly, you can think bigger. This question allows you to reflect at a higher level on your life aspirations.

--------------
Optional Essay: Please use the space below to highlight any additional information that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about your candidacy. (400 words)
--------------

This is an optional question and if you feel you addressed all of the key parts of your profile in the application so far, you may be better off skipping this. That said, this question is good to utilize if you want to address some aspects of your profile:
•Poor performance in a particular class or during a semester in undergrad.
•Explanation of a gap in your work experience (or any other extenuating circumstance you wish to discuss).
•Significant accomplishment that you were not able to describe anywhere else in the application.

-------------
Reapplicant Question: All reapplicants to Wharton are required to complete this essay. Explain how you have reflected on the previous decision about your application, and discuss any updates to your candidacy (e.g., changes in your professional life, additional coursework, extracurricular/volunteer engagements). (250 words)
All applicants, including reapplicants, can also use this section to address any extenuating circumstances. (250 words)

-------------

For all applicants, if you have an extenuating circumstance you wish to address, this is the place. For example, poor performance in a particular class or during a semester in undergrad. Explanation of a gap in your work experience or reasons behind a job change if the decision requires explanation to make sense.

For reapplicants, be sure to reflect on your profile from the previous year and tell the admissions committee how you improved. Getting rejected one year does not mean you won’t get in the next. It does mean, however, that you need to show improvement. This could come in the form of a job promotion, increased responsibility at work, higher GMAT score or substantial leadership in extra-curricular activities. Unless your goals were not clear or after reflection did not make sense last year, it is not advised to change your goals and motivation for an MBA.
------------

If you would like individual and personal support developing your story for the Wharton application, or have questions about choosing the right topics to answer these questions, please find information about Personal MBA Coach’s comprehensive packages http://www.personalmbacoach.com/#!compr ... kages/caui or contact me to learn how I can help! scott@personalmbacoach.com

Personal MBA Coach

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 2.8
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 23:06
Hi All,

Appreciate any pointers on my chances to make it to Wharton. This is my profile in a nut shell:

Under Grad: Civil Engineering, IIT Madras - 2012
Work Ex: 3 years as of today. currently in Amazon as business analyst since Aug,2014. Managed a team of 6 for one year before joining Amazon.
GPA: 2.7/4
GMAT : 750(Q-51, V-39, IR-8, AWA-5.5)
Extra Curricular: Semi Professional Cricketer. Playing in Division A.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 06:00
FROM Wharton Admissions Blog: The Class of 2017
August brings two new things: a fresh application process and the arrival of the Class of 2017 to Wharton and Philadelphia! Welcoming the new class always brings a certain exhilarating energy to campus and we get pumped up and ready for another great year at Wharton. Pre-Term is underway and…Read More

The post The Class of 2017 appeared first on MBA Program.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 21:31
Can a 4.0 masters degree in Electrical engineering make up for a low GMAT score?
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 04:48
sumanth2015 wrote:
Hi All,

Appreciate any pointers on my chances to make it to Wharton. This is my profile in a nut shell:

Work Ex: 3 years as of today. currently in Amazon as business analyst since Aug,2014. Managed a team of 6 for one year before joining Amazon.

Thanks!

Sumanth,
Thanks for the post. How many years have you been working at Amazon and what group are you in? I'm familiar with the structure at Amazon, but some more details beyond business analyst would be helpful. Leadership roles?

While your GPA and extra-currics are the weak spots on your application (although I would like to explore Cricket more as there may be more substance there), you have a shot at applying to Wharton because of IIT, GPA and Amazon. I would like to know what you did before Amazon and how long you are at Amazon now so I can advise you when the right time would be to apply. Depending on those answers, I would recommend applying either this year or next year.

It will be important to talk about your career progression and goals, so its worth exploring that further with you as well. Send me a note if you would like to hear how I can help you get into Wharton and other top programs scott@personalmbacoach.com or see my site for more details on what I offer www.personalmbacoach.com

Good luck!

Personal MBA Coach

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 04:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
yemitoye wrote:
Can a 4.0 masters degree in Electrical engineering make up for a low GMAT score?

Unfortunately not really. The two most important parts of your academic evaluation are GMAT and then undergraduate GPA. Unfortunately masters grades, while still important, come after those so a good masters GPA won't make up for a poor GMAT score.

Need some focused help preparing for the GMAT to take it again? Send me a note! scott@personalmbacoach.com

Personal MBA Coach

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Other)

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 00:11
After writing the first essay I somehow feel that there is not enough space to give them a wholesome picture of myself so should I go for the optional essay(no stellar achievements) or try to restructure the main one.
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 06:11
stagacdc wrote:
After writing the first essay I somehow feel that there is not enough space to give them a wholesome picture of myself so should I go for the optional essay(no stellar achievements) or try to restructure the main one.

I would really need a lot more information about you in order to advise you on what you should do. Its hard to give a recommendation without knowing much about your background or what you wrote the first essay on. Feel free to send me some more details if you would like. Also, what would the optional essay be about?

Personal MBA Coach

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.88
WE: Project Management (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 06:31
In for R1. Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Other)

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 23:11
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
stagacdc wrote:

I would really need a lot more information about you in order to advise you on what you should do. Its hard to give a recommendation without knowing much about your background or what you wrote the first essay on. Feel free to send me some more details if you would like. Also, what would the optional essay be about?[/quote
I am a derivatives trader,indian origin and 3 years of work ex.after writing the professional and personal skills that i will attain from wharton and giving a brief description of my job profile I am not left with any space to tell how I came inthis profession in the first place which i think adds to my profile because this is not a typical job that people do in my demographic.
Are the optional essays only meant for explaining some shortcomings in ones profile or could i use it to mention the decisions which led to my current profession
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 09:02
I feel like a moron...but I'm going batty! For the "Academic Information" section of the application -

To ensure the quick processing of your application, we are no longer accepting mailed transcripts at the time of application. Instead, please submit your transcript(s) as a scanned document or use the excel template, found in the downloadable forms section to the left. Use the upload feature, provided at each school listing, to submit your self-reported transcript(s).

I can't find the Excel template anywhere, and all I have is an unofficial transcript which they didn't mention as okay. Does anyone have the link to the template? I searched the forum and found an old link but it no longer works...

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.88
WE: Project Management (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 09:10
KLM0905 wrote:
I feel like a moron...but I'm going batty! For the "Academic Information" section of the application -

To ensure the quick processing of your application, we are no longer accepting mailed transcripts at the time of application. Instead, please submit your transcript(s) as a scanned document or use the excel template, found in the downloadable forms section to the left. Use the upload feature, provided at each school listing, to submit your self-reported transcript(s).

I can't find the Excel template anywhere, and all I have is an unofficial transcript which they didn't mention as okay. Does anyone have the link to the template? I searched the forum and found an old link but it no longer works...

:oops: :oops: :oops:

What I understand from the comments you quoted is, as long as you scan and prepare a digital image of the unofficial copy of the transcript, it is OK. Why do you think the opposite? This is what I did by the way...
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 10:52
stagacdc wrote:
I am a derivatives trader,indian origin and 3 years of work ex.after writing the professional and personal skills that i will attain from wharton and giving a brief description of my job profile I am not left with any space to tell how I came inthis profession in the first place which i think adds to my profile because this is not a typical job that people do in my demographic.
Are the optional essays only meant for explaining some shortcomings in ones profile or could i use it to mention the decisions which led to my current profession

The optional essay for Wharton is used for more than just explaining an extenuating circumstance or a shortfall. It is usually used to explain something else interesting and unique about your profile that you did not get a chance to explain elsewhere. Your suggested topic could work, though it should be interesting enough to warrant writing the essay. For most applicants, a description of their career path is not good enough to warrant writing in this essay, but depending on the circumstances, it could certainly work for you.

Personal MBA Coach

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 00:39

!

Moderator Warning!

sumanth2015, This thread is the place where Wharton applicants get to know one-another, exchange ideas/information, discuss application strategies, share interview /school visit experiences, and boost one-another's morale to face the tough admission process. This is not a place to ask for a profile evaluation. There is a separate forum - Ask Admission Consultants - where you can get experts' opinions on your profile. Thank You!

sumanth2015 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks!

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 00:42
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Wharton: “Putting Knowledge Into Action”
Episode 4 in our Big Brand Theory Series for MBA applicants: Wharton’s motto.

Does the oldest business school actually have a brand?  Does the oldest business school actually need a brand? Ironically, Wharton is a more powerful global brand than the elite Ivy League university of which it resides.  In fact, many people don’t know that the University of Pennsylvania is a highly regarded Ivy League institution. Outside the United States the University of Pennsylvania, Wharton’s “parent” university is often confused with Penn State University, the “parent” university to the Smeal College of Business, to the humorous consternation of both schools.

As I searched through Wharton’s collateral, it was difficult to zero in on its point of view. However, its tagline, putting knowledge into action, was easy to find. But I ask, is Wharton’s tagline synonymous with its brand?  I will go out on a limb here and say, “no.” Wharton is its own brand.  Wharton is Wharton. But the admissions officers and their marketing colleagues are giving you a hint through this tag line that they are seeking students who can “put knowledge into action”.

How does one “put knowledge into action”?  Well, I would venture to say that you would put knowledge into action the same way Columbia students “bridge theory with practice” and how Michigan Ross students put “thought into action.”  These taglines sound extremely similar, but they do get to the crux of the type of student these schools seek.

Wharton seeks a student who can take the information that he or she gathers from school, the workplace, the community, and the world, process the information and then act on the ideas and concepts acquired.   As an applicant you need to demonstrate that you not only know the information, but that you have implemented the concepts that you’ve learned. For more information on how to do explain this process in an essay, read my blog post “Show me, Don’t Tell Me.”  While I wrote the blog for PhD students, the “theory” applies to MBA candidates as well.

In the application, the main essay looks toward the future, so you can’t demonstrate that you have the trait to turn your knowledge into action in the main essay. You can only explain that you can act on your knowledge in the work experience, extracurricular activities and community service section in the application.  You can also establish that you offer this trait on your resume and in optional essay 1.

I’ll focus on optional essay 1 for the purpose of this blog. I suggest exhibit how and where you learned about something and then acted upon it in optional essay 1.  Did you read about a theory in a book and then test it out in the real world?  Did you hear a political pundit on the news describe something and gather your friends in a grass roots effort to implement or refute the pundit’s opinion?  A great example comes from a environmentally astute MBA.  He believed that if areas of the world that don’t have access to potable water were given access to potable water that it would lessen the political unrest in these countries where access to water is a big issue.  He researched his theory through expert white papers and journal articles. He tested his theory by creating a process to make polluted water potable and distributed his patented invention to several regions that suffered from political unrest.  He put his theory into action, and had results that proved his theory worked in over half of the regions where he distributed this process.  He is now working with a manufacturer and an NGO to gain more distribution throughout the world.

While your example doesn’t need to have the kind of impact that changes the world, it does need to describe in detail, what you did to make a difference.  Did your Relay for Life impact the latest therapies for cancer?  Did your understanding of the book Trading Systems that Work lead you to pursue a finance degree?  Did your Improvisational class at school help you become a skilled public speaker?  Did you learn something from a colleague at work or at school that enabled you to arrive at a better answer.

Their tagline is put to the test during their Team Based Discussions.  If you are invited to participate, you are given a mini-case, asked to present a solution and then work for 35 minutes with a team of potential future classmates to come up with the best or optimal solution.  The evaluators will observe how you synthesize the information around the table and use it to come up with a viable action Wharton can use in the future.

So while Wharton’s brand stands alone, its tagline is instrumental to the success of your application.  For more information about successful strategies on your Wharton application, register for Accepted’s Get Accepted to Wharton Seminar and contact our consultants for assistance with your application.

By Natalie Grinblatt Epstein, an accomplished Accepted.com consultant/editor (since 2008) and entrepreneur. Natalie is a former MBA Admissions Dean and Director at Ross, Johnson, and Carey.

Related Resources:

• Wharton 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

The Wharton Difference

• Wharton B-School Zone Page

Tags: B-School Big Brand Theory Series, MBA Admissions, Wharton

The post Wharton: “Putting Knowledge Into Action” appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 15:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Class of 2018 hopefuls. I'm so impressed that there's already such a lot of activity on this thread.

I was a re-applicant to Wharton last season and got invited to interview and waitlisted. In the meantime I got offers from INSEAD and MIT Sloan. I wrote about the whole experience on my blog (http://topdogmba.com) and would like to invite you over to check out some of the material on there - hopefully there's something that will be useful and help you craft a winning application this year.

In particular, I wrote about some of the key credentials of Wharton (http://topdogmba.com/2014/07/11/think-for-yourself-wharton/) and my own interview experience (http://topdogmba.com/2014/11/27/what-goes-on-wharton-interview-report/). I'm now in MIT Sloan's Class of 2017 and would be happy to hear from anyone working on their applications.

Just wanted to reach out and offer some free advice. Look forward to seeing you.

TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail - http://topdogmba.com/

Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2015, 05:36
Does anyone know whether Wharton allows updates to your application following submission?
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2015, 05:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  40    Next  [ 791 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap