Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 19:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619492 [10]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
Schools: HBS '18 IIMA
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13397 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, each square is contained within the area of the l [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, each square is contained within the area of the larger square. The smallest square has a side length of 2 and the ratio of the area of the shaded square to the area of the smallest square is 5/2, what is the area of the largest square if the shaded square bisects each side of the largest square at its vertices?

A. 20
B. 30
C. 40
D. 50
E. 60

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachment:
squares.gif

Area of Smallest Square = 2^2 = 4

area of the shaded square / the area of the smallest square = 5/2
i.e. area of the shaded square = (5/2)*4 = 10

Since the Shaded Square is bisecting the sides of Largest square therefore the Area of Largest Square will be twice the area of Shaded Square
Area of Shaded Square = (1/2) Area of Biggest Square

i.e. Area of Biggest Square = 2 * (10) = 20
Intern
Intern
Status:My heart can feel, my brain can grasp, I'm indomitable.
Affiliations: Educator
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
WE:Social Work (Education)
Re: In the figure above, each square is contained within the area of the l [#permalink]
Kudos
let side length of larger square be x
so, side length of shaded square is (x/2)*√2 or x/√2

now, (x/√2)^2 : 2^2 = 5 : 2
or, x^2 = 4*5 = 20

area of larger square is 20
ans: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Area of shaded region = 5/2 *4 = 10
So side =√10

Therefore diagonal of shaded square =√20 which is the side of larger square so the area of larger square = (√20)^2 = 20
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, each square is contained within the area of the larger square. The smallest square has a side length of 2 and the ratio of the area of the shaded square to the area of the smallest square is 5/2, what is the area of the largest square if the shaded square bisects each side of the largest square at its vertices?

A. 20
B. 30
C. 40
D. 50
E. 60

Attachment:
squares.gif

Area of the Smallest Sq = 4

Ratio of Shaded to Smallest sq = 5/2 = x/4 =>Area of shaded sq. x = 10.
If Area = 10, Side =\(\sqrt{10}\)
Draw a diagonal to the Shaded square, x.

x^2 = 10 + 10 = 20 => Area of the big square (Side ^ 2)

or in other way,
Since the shaded sq. bisects the vertices of big sq., the area of the big square will be twice the shaded sq. = 2 * 10 = 20.

Option A
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619492 [1]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 20
B. 30
C. 40
D. 50
E. 60

Attachment:
squares.gif

800score Official Solution:

The area of the smallest square must be equal to 2^2 = 4. Since the ratio of the area of the shaded square (it consists of the shaded region and the smallest square) to the area of the smallest square is 5/2, we can solve for the area of the shaded square by solving for A in the following equation:
A/4 = 5/2
A = 4 × (5/2)
A = 10

So, the area of the shaded square is equal to 10, and each side is equal to √10. Now, all we have to do is recognize that the triangles made at each corner of the large square where, two sides are equal to half the side length and the hypotenuse is equal to the edge length of the shaded square, are right triangles and to use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve for half the edge length. Let each side of the triangle be equal to x, then 2x^2 = 10, so x^2 = 5, and x = √5. This means that the entire side length of the larger square is twice the length of a side of that triangle, or 2√5. Finally, the area of a square is equal to a side squared, so the answer must be (2√5 )^2 = 20, or answer choice (A).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 20
B. 30
C. 40
D. 50
E. 60

Attachment:
squares.gif

800score Official Solution:

The area of the smallest square must be equal to 2^2 = 4. Since the ratio of the area of the shaded square (it consists of the shaded region and the smallest square) to the area of the smallest square is 5/2, we can solve for the area of the shaded square by solving for A in the following equation:
A/4 = 5/2
A = 4 × (5/2)
A = 10

So, the area of the shaded square is equal to 10, and each side is equal to √10. Now, all we have to do is recognize that the triangles made at each corner of the large square where, two sides are equal to half the side length and the hypotenuse is equal to the edge length of the shaded square, are right triangles and to use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve for half the edge length. Let each side of the triangle be equal to x, then 2x^2 = 10, so x^2 = 5, and x = √5. This means that the entire side length of the larger square is twice the length of a side of that triangle, or 2√5. Finally, the area of a square is equal to a side squared, so the answer must be (2√5 )^2 = 20, or answer choice (A).

Hello Bunuel ,
Can i not take as area of shaded region + area of small square = 10+4 = 14
so area of square (shaded region + small square)=14
so its side is root(14)
since this particular square bisects the larger square
So area of larger square =2(area of this square)= 2*14=28
Is this not correct ?
problem is i could not understand how area of shaded region can be interpreted to get the side

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hi
I have the Same Problem with this one. Since the area of These shaded Square is 10 you have to add the small Square to get the whole area. Thats 14 then and one side is the suare Root of 14.
Why is that wrong?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.62
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 20
B. 30
C. 40
D. 50
E. 60

Attachment:
squares.gif

The area of the small square is 4. If the area of the shaded square has a a ratio of 5/2 that of the small square, then its area is 10.
We can therefore determine each side of the shaded square has a length of \sqrt{10}
If each side of the shaded squre bisects the side of the large square, the triangle created by side of the shaded square and 1/2 each side of the large square is a 45:45:90 suqare with the shaded square's side as the hypotenuse. The proportion of the sides of a 45:45:90 triangle are 1:1:\sqrt{2} and, in this case the hypotenuse is \sqrt{10}, so the sides of the large square are each 2\sqrt{5}. The area, therefore, is 2\sqrt{5} squared, or 20.

Answer A
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. 20
B. 30
C. 40
D. 50
E. 60

Attachment:
squares.gif

this is gonna be tested in gmat?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Area of shaded region =x^2 ,,,,, then (x^2 - 4) / 4 = 5/2 with this i am getting x =sqrt14. Please point out my mistake
chetan2u

Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13397 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Area of shaded region =x^2 ,,,,, then (x^2 - 4) / 4 = 5/2 with this i am getting x =sqrt14. Please point out my mistake
[/url]

Regards

ShankSouljaBoi

\((x^2 - 4) / 4 = 5/2\) is incorrect and should be written as \((x^2) / 4 = 5/2\) for the simple reason that the language of question reads the ratio of the area of the shaded square to the area of the smallest square is 5/2,

It says area of shaded square and doesn't say Area of shaded REGION

I hope this helps!!!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31993 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
chetan2u

Regards

The question is flawed. It should have named the squares say ABCD for smaller one and EFGH for middle one and then said ratio of areas of EFGH and ABCD is 5/2.
There is NO shaded square here, it is a shaded region.

Bunuel, May I request you to change the wordings. It is ambiguous.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Problem Solving (PS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92959 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts