Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:42 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2017 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Admitted to Mohali Campus:-) Look for my interview debrief in upcoming posts !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Calling all ISB Applicants - (2017 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
4th time Re-Applicant- Indian IT male, Admitted to ISB
Hi folks on this forum, I guess now is the time to share my interview experience. For my previous ISB interview, chack my signature where I got rejected ! This time my interview happened over Skype. I opted for Mumbai but had to travel to Oslo, Norway for an official assignment. So here it goes:

Interview was around 11:00 AM IST which meant 6:30 AM in Oslo. I woke up at around 5:30 AM and was set for the interview. At the scheduled time, I got a call over skype. It was known that I had to call them as well . So idea was to have video over skype and for audio , the normal phone line.

I was having a office laptop so I could not install skype in that. Although I had it in my phone. Soon when I got Skype call on my phone from ISB, and when I tried to dial in, I got to know at a time, calls can be made either through skype line or normal phone line. First Blunder.

I thought then to use, the web version of skype in my laptop and continue using phone line as usual. But adding to misery, my laptop screen said: Installing updates ( 30 % complete) , Don’t turn off your computer. Man, I thought I was gone and it was panic situation for me. In all this chaos, ISB folks were on video and were seeing me.

They were kind enough to understand the situation and agreed to continue over skype for both audio and video. Then it all started, meanwhile time lapsed :6-8 mins. There were 3 people, 2 Alums (A1, A2) and 1 from Adcom. (P1). A1 and P1 interacted with me most while A2 was observing and spoke only once.

A1: So ,tell us what your profile is and what are you looking to get in ISB?
Me: Explained this..mixed up lot of things but was mostly crisp.

A1: What are you doing in Oslo?
Me: I told purpose of my visit and nature of engagement.

A1: How your work is benefitting the client and asked about my profile in detail (roles/responsibilities etc)
Me: I explained but he responded I am not getting your answer. He asked me to explain in detail and in layman language. I told about automation stuff in project to which he replied: don’t you think so this is indeed cutting down workforce for your company, how it is beneficial for your firm. Explained in detail. Now P1 interrupted.

P1: That’s all fine, tell me what is the main revenue generation aspect in Norway( As I was in Oslo)
Me; Answered something.

P1: Why Norway is part of Scandinavian group?
Me: I thought it was a GK test and somehow answered this, although not fully perfect.

A1: So you have been doing lot of stuff in your current organization, Why MBA and Why now?
Me: Was prepared, answered this. Lot of cross questioning. He emphasized all that you want to achieve could be done through external courses. Why MBA? And when I explained , he said I why don’t you try for IIM 1 year program , why ISB? Explained this as well.

P1: What is your role in startup?
Me: (I mentioned I have been associated with a startup) Explained my role. Then he asked what will happen to startup when I ‘ll leave it for ISB? Explained. Then he asked stats, revenue model and our break even scenario. He countered that similar products are in market, what’s different. Explained. Cross questioned a lot around it.

A1: Interrupted and asked, how can it be possible you are not working full time for that startup but have been involved in so many things there?
Me: Explained.

P1: Your post MBA goals don’t seem to be aligned with your profile?
Me: I was totally clueless at this point. I literally sat with a frozen view. Somehow explained my goals. I was dead nervous at this point.

A2: (Here that folk spoke and that too in sarcastic way): So you think at ISB you will be able to achieve all these?
Me: I told him, its’ not only about academics but the overall experience and journey will help me to inculcate those skills.

A1: Any questions?
Me: I asked a question.

P1: Why did you asked this question, how are you/ your goals are related to this?
Me: Explained that.

P1/A1: Thanks for your time and enjoy your weekend in Oslo. I asked for apologies for initial hiccups, they said it’s all fine.

Overall the panel was quite cooperative. I believe it’s all about being true to yourself because be sure you will be cross questioned around Why MBA and your goals. Be thorough with your application, what you have written in essays and don’t try to fake, ISB alums and Adcom are one of the sharpest minds, so no point in trying to fool them around. Rest, have confidence and faith in yourself even if you feel low at any point during the interview.

PS: It’s important for me to mention the team behind Strategy4Gmat (https://strategy4gmat.com/isb-admissions/). I owe this interview to them. The team behind strategy4gmat makes sure that you are fully prepared for the interview.
@strategy
For someone like me, who have experienced good number of B-School interviews before this (although all with rejections) trust me, in my first mock I was presented with some basic flaws in my interviews. They make sure that what you are saying is in sync with your application and connect the dots between your short term and long term goals, which I believe is very important. The feedback sessions, post mock interviews helped me a lot.

In my previous applications, I did try other consultants who make big claims to have all ISB alums on their board and what not. (You name it and I did tried that) But take my words, the services and work by team behind strategy4gmat is exceptional.
They are so connected with student and ensure you admit as their personal goals. Regular follow ups and reminders helped me to never lose focus. I also took their help in the application essays as well. Right from making the essays crisp to helping me to brainstorm around idea to make my profile unique inspite of being from an over represented pool, they played a big role. For aspirants looking help in their essays/interviews, don’t hesitate to connect with them. (https://strategy4gmat.com/isb-admissions/)You won’t regret and that’s coming from someone who itself struggled 3 times before to get admit including one with interview where I was dinged.

Thanks for all the patience for reading the post. In case of any queries feel free to ping me. I’ll try my best to help you out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Got in... Hyderabad campus Co2018.
First time applicant with a work ex of 5 years in the software industry.

I must take this opportunity to thank GyanOne. It was a wonderful experience to work with Rishabh and team and with their guidance i was able to highlight my strengths in the application in the best possible way . It was really helpful especially when the word limit is strict and you're from a vast pool of applicants.

Cheers !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
My ISB Review [#permalink]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Guys... is there any forum for the admits ??
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '18 (A$)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Pretty great!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10017 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chimish wrote:
Guys... is there any forum for the admits ??
Here is admitted students' thread calling-all-isb-admitted-students-class-of-2018-2017-intake-228785.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Any applicant this year applied with GRE scores and have received an interview call as this was the first year when ISB has started accepting GRE scores?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
I was reapplicant for ISB. rejected. I want to understand what went wrong despite all my effort.

2nd - I want to know if somebody was from this interview group
Date - 12th Nov
Place - Mumbai
Slot 10.30 am

Pl pm me if you were from this slot. Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Congratulations to all who got Admit :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM

!
Promotional stuff is not allowed in applicant discussion threads. Please post consultant reviews in this thread best-admissions-consulting-companies-2017-season-230121.html

Hello to all Round 2 ISB aspirants,

I have been admitted to ISB Co 2018 in Round 1 and would like to put across a word for --------- Services. They are pretty experienced and great people to work with. They helped me make the entire process from application to interview stress free without leaving any stones unturned.

I strongly recommend ------- to those who are researching on essays or stuck up midway.
Cheers!!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10017 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Guys, Is it over or we can expect any R1 decisions today or tomorrow?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I have a specific query - in the essay on 'significant improvement since last application' please let me know whether I should mention improvement in GMAT score from 640 to 690 ? GMAT nonetheless is a very important parameter, but should I mention it on the essay....please advise.......
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Send PM
ladybird66 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a specific query - in the essay on 'significant improvement since last application' please let me know whether I should mention improvement in GMAT score from 640 to 690 ? GMAT nonetheless is a very important parameter, but should I mention it on the essay....please advise.......

This is a relative question which you can answer to the best possibility.
Here's my take:
It depends on your work profile as well. If you have significant improvements from the last time you had applied, then thats a bonus. For example: promotions, achievements (not necessarily professional) - it should portray some initiative along with leadership etc etc.
Yes GMAT is a parameter but going by ISB's average score (around 700-710), it wont be wise to highlight that factor only - you should focus on a holistic application essay showcasing something that differentiates you in the class. Think about it!

If you need anything, I would be happy to help!

Regards,
ISB Co2018 Round 1 admit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hey thanks for the reply. Actually besides improving GMAT from 620 to 690, I have also added on my profile. Had a change of assignment - so I will be mentioning that too. Plus been pursuing a distance MBA- PGDRM from SCDL, Pune.

Please let me know if I should mention these 2 points, along with improvement in GMAT......thanks....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Send PM
ladybird66 wrote:
Hey thanks for the reply. Actually besides improving GMAT from 620 to 690, I have also added on my profile. Had a change of assignment - so I will be mentioning that too. Plus been pursuing a distance MBA- PGDRM from SCDL, Pune.

Please let me know if I should mention these 2 points, along with improvement in GMAT......thanks....

Sent a PM to you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GRE 1: Q165 V159
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi there,

Can anyone please throw some light on how re-application is perceived by adcom in ISB. Is there any disadvantage or advantage associated or it doesn't matter much if you are a re-applicant.

I have a GMAT score of 660. If there is disadvantage in re-applying, i can't afford to apply this year and will then apply next year with possibly a good GMAT score.

It would be great if somebody can post stats around the same.

Much thanks!
Pranav
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  35