Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 11:58 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 11:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
cogen234 wrote:
canada1991 wrote:
cogen234 wrote:
Hi guys, anything at all? Literally any context would help me. It's getting really close!

I find it strange that they absolutely would not review your application until the date that you intend to re-write the GMAT, but if you've spoken to the adcom and are certain of it, then I think it's fine to select no and provide them with the new score when if/when you get the higher score. I've added updates to my application after they've been submitted (e.g. promotion at work) and just reached out to the contact info that the school provides once you've submitted.

I don't know about the Columbia process specifically and ultimately the adcom would be your only accurate resource for questions like these, but I hope this helps a bit!

Thanks for the reply. No, they were clear. They mentioned they wouldn't start reviewing until the date. What's not clear is whether this means it's as though I've not submitted until the retake date or will they give me credit for applying earlier. They'll receive over 1000 applications over the next few days, so I don't know if a few points bump is worth getting behind in the queue!

I am not adcom so what I say is only my opinion but I think you should just apply with 720 UNLESS you think you can score at least 760 or more...

720 is already higher than the average and I have heard +/- 30 points is within standard error. (That it can happen by pure luck)

I also remember that CBS asks how many times you have taken GMAT. Adding 1 more count for extra 10 point might not be considered a "smart decision" in the eyes of the adcom.

Again, only my opinion...

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Thanks for the feedback, it makes sense, but I think the universe is not enough kind to allow for a+/- 30 pt error to be overlooked for Indian males!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Application submitted (re-applicant). Hope to get third time lucky and get a call for interview.

Application Submitted on: 2016/12/28
GMAT: 760, Q50, V41
WE: 60 months
Industry: Computer Software
Submited on: 2016/12/28
Invited on: 1969/12/31
Interviewed on: 1969/12/31
Decision Received on: 1969/12/31
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would advise being over-dressed, even if the meeting is in a coffee shop. Also bring a copy of your resume and send it to them via email in advance as well.

canada1991 wrote:
For alum interviews, did everyone still wear a suit even if meeting in a coffee shop? I suppose it's still better to be over-dressed rather than under, but wondering if anyone had a different experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
I would advise being over-dressed, even if the meeting is in a coffee shop. Also bring a copy of your resume and send it to them via email in advance as well.

canada1991 wrote:
For alum interviews, did everyone still wear a suit even if meeting in a coffee shop? I suppose it's still better to be over-dressed rather than under, but wondering if anyone had a different experience.

Thank you for the advice! :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
is everyone taking advantage of the deadline extension?
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would submit it now (if you haven't already) and forget about retaking it. In my experience over the years it is rare for anyone to get a significant-enough score bump on a retake that would actually change what the adcom would've already decided about your application based on all of the other (more important) factors. The GMAT isn't everything, it's one piece to ensure you can handle the curriculum. Your score proves you can. Now they'll care about what else you bring to the table based on your work, personal and volunteer experience that you can contribute to class discussions and the wider CBS community.

Good luck!

cogen234 wrote:
Hi guys I really don't like spamming and am not usually overly emotional or dramatic, but this CBS process has really brought me to a point where I might end up in a mental institution. Does anyone have any suggestions on this topic? I was initially told on the phone last week by the admissions guys that I can submit my application without explicitly select a retake date since that might push me down in the queue.

However that might have been misleading since it seems like I only have two options. Explicitly select a date (and potentially get pushed down in the queue) or apply by stating I won't retake (and perhaps lose my chance to upgarde my score though I've been preparing for the exam and applications simultaneously for the past 1.5 months or so)!

Can anyone please advise?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi guys, does anyone know how far did they go with application dates? Did they start reviewing December? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V44
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V41
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
They are at least up to December 7, I got the ding email yesterday at 5pm

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
2017appmachine wrote:
They are at least up to December 7, I got the ding email yesterday at 5pm

Sorry to hear about the ding...

I guess it will still be at least 10 days till I here about my application (applied Dec 26)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Once the interview feedback has been submitted, is there a change within the portal, or is the only update the email notification we receive? When I log in to check the application status, the last update is from when I submitted my app even though the interviewer submitted their feedback.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Not sure canada1991 - I'm in the same boat as you. Received an email saying feedback submitted but don't see any difference on the portal. Feedback was submitted on 12/29 so hopefully I'll be hearing back soon!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yekrut wrote:
Not sure canada1991 - I'm in the same boat as you. Received an email saying feedback submitted but don't see any difference on the portal. Feedback was submitted on 12/29 so hopefully I'll be hearing back soon!

Update: got the call today! Accepted with fellowship :)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yekrut wrote:

Update: got the call today! Accepted with fellowship :)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Waitlisted, but will decline due to making out pretty nicely elsewhere. Kind of surprised, but oh well!

Submitted 10/16, invited to interview 12/16, couldn't do until after the New Year so didn't interview until 1/3, feedback submitted 1/4. Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got the call this afternoon (Toronto, Canada). Applied on November 9th, Invited to interview on December 28th, interviewed on January 5th and feedback submitted on the 6th. Very excited, wishing you all the best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just heard somebody say that international students have no chance of getting into CBS if they apply for regular decision. Does anybody know if this is true??

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts