Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:28 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!! [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Dream Jobs: Two Stories from the Full-time MBA Class of 2016

They came to Berkeley-Haas not just to find a job, but to find themselves, and their explorations led members of the Full-time Berkeley MBA class of 2016 to make technology, consulting, and finance their top three career fields.

McKinsey & Co., Bain & Co., Boston Consulting Group (BCG), and Deloitte Consulting were the top hiring firms for the 19 percent of the class going into consulting, and Olivia Anglade, now at BCG, was one of them. 

Olivia came to Berkeley-Haas by way of the Army and following work for USAID in construction for the disaster-ravaged island nation of Haiti. Interviewed by Clear Admit, Olivia says she found the work enormously rewarding—and frustrating at the same time. “There are huge swings of optimism and despair,” she says.

With lots of experience in public infrastructure, Olivia came to business school to better understand the private sector. She also knew she wanted a school where classmates form strong bonds, and telling Clear Admit that the Berkeley-Haas Defining Principles resonated as well—particularly Confidence Without Attitude. 

Within a month, I landed on the idea that consulting would be a great path for me.

Partnering with the MBA Career Management Group, Olivia identified that her greatest rewards come through service--and realized that serving clients as a consultant would give her exposure to industries and functions she had never experienced. “Within a month, I landed on the idea that consulting would be a great path for me,” she tells Clear Admit.

In the long term, Olivia is interested in working in social impact or in the nonprofit sector, but she recognizes that the exposure and breadth she will gain in consulting will help her have more impact on a smaller organization down the line. 

Going to work for Google, Apple, Facebook, and more 
Technology continues to be the most popular field for full-time MBA grads, pulling in 39 percent of those who accepted offers, and with Google, Adobe, Facebook, and Amazon among the top employers. 

Armin Hoebart, an Austrian native who worked in consulting before coming to business school is now at Apple
and tells Clear Admit he came to Haas because “I wanted to explore multiple options. I knew I did not want to go back into consulting or to do finance, but that was about it.”

I want to work on a tangible product.

Armin also praises the exploration the Career Management Group encouraged him to do, telling Clear Admit, “They were great about allowing me to explore different routes without pushing me into any one direction.”

By working with advisors and coaches, Armin realized that he was looking to make two switches—country and industry. He wanted to work in the United States upon graduation rather than returning to Europe, and he wanted to shift from manufacturing to something much faster paced.

Now global supply manager with iPhone Manufacturing Design, Armin says the “soul-searching” process he did with the help of Career Management helped make three things clear, he tells Clear Admit. “First, I want to work on a tangible product—something I can touch and see.” Second, he realized he both has a passion for and is good at operations. And third, he realized he wanted to work for a company that is the leader in what it does. “With Apple, I have totally achieved all three.” 

See where the full-time MBA class of 2016 went to work—and what they do there.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!! [#permalink]
Does anyone know if you find out if you get rejected before the decision deadline? Like if they don't want to offer you an interview, do you just drift in the "Under Review" status for 2 months until final decision date?
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Going to business school could turn you into an MBA entrepreneur

Above: Berkeley MBA startup Planet Murple aims to help kids each more vegetables

If you've ever considered enrolling in an MBA program, you may have pictured yourself getting promoted to a prominent new position at your current company or transferring to an innovative startup after graduation, but have you ever thought about launching your own venture?

One of the things that a lot of successful new startups have in common is that they are the product of MBA entrepreneurship, founded by students who didn't necessarily even plan on embarking on an entrepreneurial career—until they got to business school.

Berkeley-Haas students, for example, often find themselves positioned to add entrepreneurship to future career options. They learn business and management fundamentals from one of the world’s leading schools for the study of entrepreneurship. They gain strength and inspiration from the network and support system available through Berkeley MBA programs. And they begin to realize that they don't have to wait for other people to start the perfect business--they can start it themselves.

Here are some students who did:

Solving real-world problems

As a student in the evening and weekend MBA program, Shuai Jiang found himself faced with a real-world problem: the hassle that comes along with the home delivery of online purchases. He began thinking about ways to receive, track, return, and manage packages.

Shuai combined his ideas with what he learned through the MBA curriculum, enlisted the help of fellow students, founded Enchantin Inc., and created the uCella smart mailbox.

This wirelessly connected wall-mounted container secures packages, and using an app, makes managing, tracking, and returning packages easier. "A lot of classes I took really opened my eyes," says Shuai. "To be honest, I don’t really think I’d have launched my own startup if I wasn't in the Berkeley MBA Program." >>More

Using acquired knowledge
Students in the Berkeley executive MBA program also acquire invaluable startup knowledge from the curriculum and experiential opportunities.

Stewart Wells, for example, used what he learned in his EMBA classes to launch California Artesian, a company that sells artesian water, sourced from a 7,000-foot elevation in the Sierra Nevada, to markets in California and Asia.

"Three instrumental classes were Finance, which allowed me to change my business model and estimate cash flow; Marketing, which gave me incredible insight into consumer preferences; and Strategy, where I assessed and dissected the competition," says Stewart.

Additional opportunities, such as the EMBA program's Silicon Valley Immersion Week, which combines visits to companies like Google, Facebook, and Airbnb with face-to-face interactions with company founders, also provided pivotal experiences for Stewart.

"The founders were very candid, sharing stories about how they put their money on the line,” says Stewart. "Sometimes they're failing and trying again, sometimes succeeding. It was a priceless experience." >>More (second story)

Meeting your co-founder
When Emily Yao arrived at Haas to study in the full-time MBA program, she set her sights on solving an age-old problem: getting children to eat their vegetables. She combined expertise in human behavior, a passion for art, and her new-found business skills to launch Planet Murple.

A former behavioral/cultural change strategist for IBM, Emily met her co-founder, former elementary school teacher Dave Resnick, in Eat. Think. Design., an interdisciplinary innovation course for UC Berkeley graduate students who want to improve the food system.

Planet Murple co-founders Emily Yao (r) and Dave Resnick (second from right)

“Over 90 percent of kids don’t eat the recommended amount of vegetables," says Emily. The solution? A creative app using colorful stop-motion videos (pictured above) and interactive recipes to encourage children to prepare and eat nutritious food.

Planet Murple quickly raised nearly $9,000 through Indiegogo, received additional support from the Berkeley-Haas Dean’s Startup Seed Fund, and was a regional finalist in the 2016 Global Social Venture Competition. 

In addition to meeting her co-founder at UC Berkeley, Emily drew inspiration and support from the Berkeley-Haas Innovation Design (ID) Club, which she helped lead as co-president, and from the Social Lean Launchpad course. Says Emily, “This was an amazing community of teachers, mentors, and fellow social entrepreneurs.” >>More (third story)

Is MBA entrepreneurship in your future? Download our free ebook to find out if the time is now.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Invite!!! Received around 4 PM PST today via email.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
applicant1234 wrote:
Invite!!! Received around 4 PM PST today via email.

CONGRATS! When did your app go under review? Mine's been under review for over a week now and no update :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got the email about app under review on Jan 17. So it's been a few weeks!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
applicant1234 wrote:
I got the email about app under review on Jan 17. So it's been a few weeks!

Yay, that gives me hope! Mine has been under review since the 26th! Are you INTL or US based? I'm from the east coast so hoping they haven't finished American applicatns yet!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51454 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
app just went under review. Got the email that says app is ready for review moments ago.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: From Herat to Haas, Afghan MBA Student Creates a New Life

Sal Parsa, MBA 18, once believed his destiny was to become a tailor, or a mechanic.

Born in Afghanistan and raised during Taliban rule to a family without much education, Parsa didn’t have many options. By age twelve, he was going to school half the day and working the other half sewing clothes.

That would have been his future, too. But then something happened: the Americans arrived in his hometown of Herat.

Like the other kids in town, Sal was fascinated by the men with guns who were handing out candy, and he wanted to find out more about them.

“I was a kid, so I wasn’t seen as a threat and I could approach them and try to talk to them,” he says. “They looked scary at first but they were friendly and kind. Those first encounters were what began to change my life.”

Under the Taliban, his education had been limited, but now there were new books in the library and classes to take. So he did, going to study English after he was done with work at night. And it was those English classes that led to him being selected—through an exhaustive, months-long exam process—to spend his junior year of high school in the United States under a State Department youth exchange program.

So in 2004, he found himself going to high school in upstate New York. It was a different world, but Parsa—already a bit of an overachiever—was undaunted.

“I brought these huge dictionaries from Afghanistan—English to Farsi, Farsi to English,” says Parsa, a native Persian speaker who was learning English as a 3rd language. “Those dictionaries were my buddies. I used to record my classes, then go home and listen to them, and use the books to translate.”

It wasn’t just language he was learning, but culture. Living with a host family really showed him the US from the inside.

“They really treated me like one of their own,” he says.

At age 17, after a year in the US,  he returned to Afghanistan to finish high school and began work as a translator and cultural liaison for the US military. It was a period that Parsa describes tersely as “very intense times.” By then, the war was in its 4th year, and the Taliban was attempting to regain control.

As a translator, Parsa risked his life. “There was a $5000 prize for the head of a translator or anyone working or helping the Americans. I couldn't trust anyone,” he says.

Parsa recently opened up for the first time about those years at a Haas Story Salon—an event where MBA students share personal stories with classmates, with an understanding that everything said stays in the room.

“Sal connected with every person in the room that night by sharing his narrative,” says Greg Keiser, MBA 18.

Parsa says it was hard to talk about some things, but his trust in his Haas cohort made him willing to do it. “This would not have ever happened without these people,” he says. “I wouldn’t have shared my story.”

It’s not only his story that sets Parsa apart: it’s how it has shaped his approach to life. His background puts “problems” like a heavy course of study into perspective.

“Why should I worry? Why should I complain?” he asks.

Parsa considers himself incredibly lucky and privileged. After those years working for the military in Afghanistan, he was invited to attend Walsh University in Ohio, where he was a new quantity for the small, Catholic school.

“I was the first Muslim living on that campus,” he says.

After some time after graduation spent working for large manufacturing company Timken in Ohio, he was considering a career in US intelligence when a mentor suggested he look into an MBA. Parsa remembers when he got the call from Berkeley-Haas.

“I was, in fact, right in front of Dunkin’ Donuts,” he laughs.

He credits that call, form Executive Director of Full-time MBA Admissions Morgan Bernstein, as something special: the moment when he felt that Haas really “got” him.

Bernstein recalls what stood out about Parsa: “It was clear that not only is Sal someone who embodies our four Haas Defining Principles, but that his life experience would allow him to bring a truly unique, and valuable, perspective to our community.”

After a just a few months at Haas, Parsa says he knows he’s in the right place: he says there’s nothing about his life right now that makes him stressed, even though he’s combining the full-time MBA program with a leadership role as the president of the data science club, a deep-dive into data science, and a hard push with classmate Greg Keiser on a startup idea for a career guidance platform. That’s on top of the fact he got married last summer.

But Parsa is ready for every opportunity he can find—at Haas, at UC Berkeley, or anywhere else.

“Sometimes I think, ‘I shouldn’t sleep,’” he says.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 402 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Just got the interview invite! Don't give up hope just yet folks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hola!!
I would like to pose you a question. I have received an email from the AO:

"Transcripts and degree certificates do not have a valid English language translation. We require all translations to be ATA certified or to be certified by the original institution."

The fact is that i have the original docs + a sworn translation. I have received other invitations to interviews, no other univ complained about the translations. The problem is that my university will not give me the certificates in english and this ATA is the same that the "sworn translation" in Spain. I dont know how to proceed! Any help? pleaseee :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 402 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
lectter wrote:
Hola!!
I would like to pose you a question. I have received an email from the AO:

"Transcripts and degree certificates do not have a valid English language translation. We require all translations to be ATA certified or to be certified by the original institution."

The fact is that i have the original docs + a sworn translation. I have received other invitations to interviews, no other univ complained about the translations. The problem is that my university will not give me the certificates in english and this ATA is the same that the "sworn translation" in Spain. I dont know how to proceed! Any help? pleaseee :)

Call and ask! I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone has used an ATA translator? could you give me a contact? thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
lectter wrote:
Does anyone has used an ATA translator? could you give me a contact? thanks!

I used an ATA translator because they mentioned they required so in one of Haas live chats. Even though they mentioned that if I weren't able to contact one, I could have dealt with it after being admitted.

However, I just searched for a certified translator in my country through ATA's website. It was pretty easy.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great thank you all! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
lectter wrote:
Great thank you all! :)

Hey, I used straker translations and I haven't had any problems! Still you should call Haas. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
YAY! Interview came in today :)

So happy!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  25   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts