It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 12:25
Received an interview invite about two days ago. My application went into under review on the 8th of Feb. All the best to all the others :)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 82

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 10:59
My app went under review on Feb 7th - am I out of the running for an interview invite?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 12:16
bb10 wrote:
My app went under review on Feb 7th - am I out of the running for an interview invite?

Mine was ready for review on 2nd and the status hasn't changed since...wondering the same! :-/

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 18:50
I am in the same boat as you, app went under review on the second, although someone else got an invite a month after their app went under review, so it leaves a tiny possibility open.

lavnads wrote:
bb10 wrote:

Mine was ready for review on 2nd and the status hasn't changed since...wondering the same! :-/

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 01:23
Same here. Application went under review on 6-7th Feb and no info since. Chances are reducing with every passing day.

bb10 wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

What Many Top Leaders Have in Common: Cross-Sector Careers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 11:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: What Many Top Leaders Have in Common: Cross-Sector Careers

Want to be truly versatile? A two-year study that looked at the career paths of more than 2,000 of the country's top executive leaders found that half of them had rounded out corporate experience with work in the nonprofit or public sectors—or vice versa. 

In this Q&A, study co-author and Berkeley-Haas Professor Nora Silver, faculty director of the Center for Social Sector Leadership at Berkeley-Haas, discusses the importance and benefits of this cross-sector experience, along with some steps that rising leaders can take to build a multi-sector career.

How does cross-sector experience help career development?
Building upon experience in one sector with work in another exposes you to a new set of factors that potentially impact your industry or organization. Broadening your knowledge in this way makes you more valuable.

Another benefit is that when you work with constituencies and peers in another sector, you get better at communicating with a wider range of people.

Gaining experience across sectors also helps you develop diverse networks that create professional opportunities you wouldn’t otherwise have.

What are the personal and professional benefits of gaining experience across corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors?
Cross-sector affiliations can lead you to clarify your personal priorities, resulting in greater fulfillment at work. Many leaders we spoke with said how much they loved what they were doing and how they felt they were making a difference. 

Changing sectors also engages you in continuous learning, increasingly important in today's workforce. We had one leader from the financial field who, because he sat on the boards of different kinds of nonprofits, learned more about what his clients on the financial side valued and thus was a more effective leader in both spheres. 

How do organizations benefit from leaders with multi-sector experience?
Having a diverse range of experience allows you to bring thinking and ideas from one sphere to another, applying nontraditional approaches to solving problems in each. And by having access to a broader pool of workers, you can help your organization recruit talented employees.

What are potential tradeoffs of building a cross-sector career?
There can be financial costs if you choose to forgo a high corporate salary to work in other sectors, such as nonprofits, and there can be time costs if you add to your experience by serving on a nonprofit or corporate board. Also, you won’t develop the same depth of knowledge about one particular industry or role, as someone who remains in that sector.

How do you build a cross-sector career?
Start early and explore. Great career outcomes don’t start at age 50; they begin at 25.

Also, begin to build networks in very different ecosystems. This will help you increase future career opportunities. Make sure you get involved with ideas and organizations you are passionate about. This is important due to the time cost.

You also need to look not just for new opportunities, but for unusual ones. Cross-sector executives tend to see something on the radar that is a little out of their comfort zone, that is a little different, or that takes some effort, as an opportunity, not a burden. That makes them better leaders.

For more fresh insights and ideas from Berkeley-Haas, see our faculty research news.  

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 08:45
Flying out now from NYC to visit campus tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting some of you there!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 09:41
The status says the "you will be contacted on the decision date" - does that mean I will get notified of the final decision on March 22? Without interview?

Or does the status read this way for everyone before the interview invite/WL/Deny?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

From Berkeley MBA to Management Consulting: Meet Stacey Chin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 17:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: From Berkeley MBA to Management Consulting: Meet Stacey Chin

En route to their dream jobs, the Full-time Berkeley MBA class of 2016 made technology, consulting, and finance their top three career fields.

Moving from MBA to management consulting was the path for 19 percent of the class, with McKinsey & Co., Bain & Co., Boston Consulting Group, and Deloitte Consulting representing the top hiring firms.

One of those was Stacey Chin, interviewed by Clear Admit about her Berkeley MBA experience and her new position at McKinsey. Before coming to Haas, Stacey worked in roles ranging from youth leadership development to venture philanthropy, and she wanted exposure to the private sector.

She told Clear Admit she appreciated the values-based approach taken by Berkeley MBA Career Services. “They don’t just ask you what sector you want to work in and look at a list and help you do a resume and cover letter,” she said. “They started several steps earlier, helping me think about what things in the past have given me energy, what do I really care about, how might I map that to a career?”

Stacey got the chance to try out consulting through the International Business Development course, in which teams of students work with clients around the globe on consulting projects. “It was a terrific warm-up for the consulting world—how you work in teams, structure processes, how to work with a client and answer the questions they care about and encourage them to consider other questions as well,” she told Clear Admit.”

Engaging with the school's MBA consulting club also helped Stacey feel more prepared, with a student-initiated course that delved into the management consulting recruitment timeline as well as into consulting case and behavioral interviews.  

“For me, that was invaluable,” said Stacey, who landed an internship, then full-time offer with McKinsey & Company. “I’m not sure I would have gotten the internship I did if I hadn’t received so much support. Because we are so small and intimate as a community, I really felt comfortable reaching out to people both in my class and above me.”

Want to see where else the Berkeley MBA class of 2016 went to work and what they do there?

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Video: MBA Application Tips for Your Letters of Recommendation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 10:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Video: MBA Application Tips for Your Letters of Recommendation
Procuring letters of recommendation can feel like one of the more daunting parts of the MBA application process—but it doesn't have to be.

Whether you're applying for a part-time MBA program or an executive MBA program, Eileen Jacob, senior assistant director of admissions, has MBA application tips for you. Learn who should write your letters (and who should not) and how to approach prospective recommenders. (2:11)

To learn more, see admissions pages for our Evening & Weekend MBA and MBA for Executives Programs, or take an at-a-glance look at our three MBA programs.

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 11:41
bb10 wrote:
The status says the "you will be contacted on the decision date" - does that mean I will get notified of the final decision on March 22? Without interview?

Or does the status read this way for everyone before the interview invite/WL/Deny?

Anyone?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 11:44
My status changed to the above the day before I got the interview invite. I think it means that the reader has finished reading your application and has an opinion. I would think that if you don't get an interview invite right after that, it may not be a good sign.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 11:48
applicant1234 wrote:
My status changed to the above the day before I got the interview invite. I think it means that the reader has finished reading your application and has an opinion. I would think that if you don't get an interview invite right after that, it may not be a good sign.

I see. It's been like that since the day in went "under review" on Feb 7th.

Not many invites going around for Haas though.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 19:50
Did anyone receive today an email from Haas saying that they are still reviewing applications? Thanks

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 20:05
I didn't. My application is under review since last 3 weeks...

magscorar wrote:
Did anyone receive today an email from Haas saying that they are still reviewing applications? Thanks

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 20:13
rohitbansal1507 wrote:

magscorar wrote:

Yes, mine too. But today I received an email with an update saying that they are still reviewing applications.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 20:27
Is it a mass mail or a response to your individual query?

magscorar wrote:
rohitbansal1507 wrote:

magscorar wrote:

Yes, mine too. But today I received an email with an update saying that they are still reviewing applications.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 21:49
rohitbansal1507 wrote:
Is it a mass mail or a response to your individual query?

magscorar wrote:
rohitbansal1507 wrote:

[quote="magscorar"]Did anyone receive today an email from Haas saying that they are still reviewing applications? Thanks

[/quote]
I did not receive the Email. Looks like a ding :(

Sent from my HTC Desire 820 dual sim using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Meet Chris Sampson: Balancing Business and Family with a Berkeley EMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 16:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Meet Chris Sampson: Balancing Business and Family with a Berkeley EMBA
“The Berkeley EMBA program really encourages you to dig deep and discover what your motivating factors are... There has been a lot of self-reflection, asking myself and other people: what drives me?”

Like many students, Chris Sampson enrolled in the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program to advance his business skills in order propel his career. To his surprise, this period of self-reflection and growth in the EMBA led Chris to begin shifting his professional perspective and long-term career plans. Through his experience at Haas, Chris has opened up to a new world of opportunities and deepened his understanding of himself as a business leader. Today, he has stepped back from his longtime career path, and is exploring new business ventures with enthusiasm and deliberation.

“Through self-reflection in the program, I learned that I really thrive in short durations. I love new projects: I get super stoked, ramp up, and put in all of my energy,” Chris said. “And then as soon as we deliver, I’m ready for the next thing...” Excited by this aspect of entrepreneurship, Chris is currently exploring options for his own new venture, while continuing to work as a strategic business consultant. Now with a new sense of personal understanding, he always has his eye out for new great projects and opportunities.

Chris is enjoying the weekly practice of putting his latest MBA lessons to work. “Having those two and a half weeks in between sessions: you learn something, and then you get to go apply it directly,” Chris said. “So often, I'll take what we just talked about in class and start applying it in my work that week.” For Chris, as for other executive MBA students, the EMBA learning extends far beyond the classroom and into their everyday, ongoing work.

“The EMBA program is the best of both worlds... It's ‘part-time’ in that we're only together every three weeks – but it's ‘full-time’ in that we always spend three intensive days together at a time. I love that.”
Just months before he started the program at Berkeley, Chris, his wife, and their young daughter had relocated from the Bay Area to Southern California. Already traveling part-time for work, he fully expected to commit to a business program that was closer to his new home. However, he and his wife Megen were surprised to find that Berkeley-Haas became the clear best choice for their family, despite requiring a commute from Los Angeles.

“I was so relieved when Chris chose the Haas EMBA program,” says his wife Megen. “It was a huge weight off my shoulders knowing that it would only be a year-and-a-half of every third weekend.” Megen recognizes that the extra time and effort pays off, seeing the great opportunities and perspectives that her husband has gained at in the Haas community.

For Chris, family will always be his top priority – and they support him in turn. He, Megen, and their nearby extended family lean on each other to make it work with intensive school and work schedules. While Chris jumps with enthusiasm into his studies and explores new ventures, Megen provides extra support with their usual household and parenting responsibilities.

“Thankfully we live close to a lot of family members,” Megen says. “So when I can't pick up the extra responsibilities, I know we have a support system to fall back on.” They all especially enjoy the blocks of “down time” in between sessions where there is more time to relax and recharge as a family.

“The EMBA program is more focused on the depth of leadership and management experience that you've had – as opposed to just where you are in your career at that time...”
Chris learned about the Executive MBA after applying to the Haas Evenings & Weekends program. When he learned more about the Executive program, he quickly realized that it was the better fit for him and his experience. As a rising leader in his technology company, along with his military management in the Navy, Chris was well-positioned as a young executive. “I had only nine years of business experience at that time – but as a senior manager, I realized that my leadership experience meant a lot,” he said.

The program, which meets once every three weeks over 19 months, has a flexible schedule that works well for Chris, as a working professional and a new parent. Chris’s daughter was just one year old when he started, and he wanted to spend as much time together as possible. “For my family, there's no other program that I could have done,” he said. “Going every three weeks with those long breaks in between: it’s huge.”

“I took a more holistic approach into determining my next career moves... What motivates me? What do I want to do to make me and my family happy?”
Today, Chris has just a few months remaining in the EMBA program before graduation. He is enthusiastically shaping his next business projects and working on a minimum viable product for his latest business project. With his family as his first priority, he is grateful for the opportunity to have taken this more comprehensive view of his career as a business leader. “I want to make impact,” he said recently. “I want to work in great teams, and I want to have openness to be able to try new things and experiment with things as opposed to being more confined.”

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.13

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 22:06
no interview invite yet

Application Submitted on: 2017/01/05
GMAT: 770, Q51, V44
GPA: 3.13
WE: 87 months
Industry: Energy and Utilities
Submited on: 2017/01/05

Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!!   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2017, 22:06

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  25    Next  [ 484 posts ] 

Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, BrushMyQuant, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap