Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:54 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 670 Q39 V42
GMAT 3: 690 Q41 V42
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 5: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 2.92
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.95
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.99
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]
Kudos
EBM wrote:
aeropower wrote:

All great advice, I would mention that not interviewing in person is not a disadvantage. I did not interview on campus and was admitted.

Be confident, not cocky. Be concise, not short. Overall, be yourself.

Happy to answer any questions that folks have.

My take on interviewing at HBS and elsewhere (which has been reinforced by my clients' results) is that the main upside to interviewing on campus is that it gives you the ability to add some first-hand observations to your answers....i.e. "I sat in Prof A's class and was impressed by how the case discussion kept everyone involved and engaged" or "I had lunch with students B and C who told me such and such about their experiences which reinforced my beliefs about this school being a good fit for me because XYZ..."

It also has a signaling value of "this person cared enough to take some vacation days to fly out to Boston and interview in person" which may or may not carry weight with a particular school or specific interviewer at that school.

So I agree with everything you mentioned.

I had already visited campus prior to my interview. I visited a class and met with current students. Therefore, at the interview, I had those things to mention.

Essentially, visiting a school is totally valuable - if you haven't yet, you should when you interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]
Eeh - Skype interview is complete and post-interview reflection is submitted. The waiting game begins!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: HBS Mission, the Case Method, and Diverse Perspectives
I feel fortunate to be affiliated with an institution with such a strong sense of mission. The HBS mission—to educate leaders who make a difference in the world—is at the core of all we do. It influences how we teach, how we learn, how we build community, and how we support one another.

For the admissions team, the mission keeps us focused on crafting an exceptional class of leaders each year from across the entire world. We welcome applications from all people, everywhere, who share a passion for learning and making a difference in the world.

This past week, I had the great pleasure of spending two days with our Round 1 admits during Admitted Students Welcome. This gave me time to reflect, again, on the power of bringing together a smart, diverse, and motivated group of leaders in a learning community.

This is especially true at HBS since the case method thrives on diverse perspectives. Easy answers are hard to come by in the real world, so the case method and the broader learning model at HBS are designed to help you develop good judgment. Let me explain.

Over the course of two years at HBS you put yourself in the shoes of hundreds of different business leaders facing big decisions. You debate with your classmates the best course of action, and you won’t always agree. But, you learn to listen, to respectfully make counterpoints, and to understand where someone else is coming from. Your professors expertly guide the conversation toward key insights, but much of the learning comes from your peers. The case method works because students bring different perspectives to the classroom every day -- perspectives shaped by their individual experiences, upbringings, world views, and aspirations.

When I was a student, the most meaningful case discussions were the ones where I came in with a strong opinion about what the case protagonist should do, then walked out of the debate having totally changed my mind. Over the course of two years my classmates molded me into a better communicator, a person with more empathy, and a leader with better judgment. (Although I still have a lot to learn!)

So this post is a (long-winded) way of reaffirming our commitment to assembling a class of remarkable leaders who will make a difference in the world, wherever they come from. The recent U.S. executive order restricting travel to America for citizens from certain countries does not change this, nor are we changing our admissions policy or practices as a result.

While we have limited influence on visa and residency decisions by the government, we will do our best to make it possible for each admitted student to attend HBS (and we are working with our colleagues across Harvard University to ensure that the consequences of the order, as it is being evaluated by the judicial system, are understood). The case method, our community, and the HBS mission depend on it.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Check out bschoolife, a new blog dedicated to giving you insight on managing your summer transition to business school. It's written by current MBAs at the M7 schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Sloan '19 (D)
Send PM
Hertz wrote:
Guys, for these who are dinged - I invoke you to not let yourself be down by that fact.

As for me - I believe I can be your champion.

Dinged without interview with the following:

1) Degree in physics and engineering in top national university, GPA 3.9
2) GMAT 780 with one try (and 5 days of preparation), got some V mistakes - non-native English speaker
3) Winner of gazillion of national contests in maths / physics
4) Background: BCG + McKinsey, had one of the fastest promotions and top performance quartile at both firms
5) Essays checked by several HBS students and alums
6) References from BCG / McK alum and current senior partner
7) Bunch of extracurricular awards / etc (e.g. boardgame national champion, international management conferences and etc.)

Well, what can I do... Guess was not my day : ) Either today or when I was born white male in eastern europe : D

This post made my day
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Hertz wrote:
Guys, for these who are dinged - I invoke you to not let yourself be down by that fact.

As for me - I believe I can be your champion.

Dinged without interview with the following:

1) Degree in physics and engineering in top national university, GPA 3.9
2) GMAT 780 with one try (and 5 days of preparation), got some V mistakes - non-native English speaker
3) Winner of gazillion of national contests in maths / physics
4) Background: BCG + McKinsey, had one of the fastest promotions and top performance quartile at both firms
5) Essays checked by several HBS students and alums
6) References from BCG / McK alum and current senior partner
7) Bunch of extracurricular awards / etc (e.g. boardgame national champion, international management conferences and etc.)

Well, what can I do... Guess was not my day : ) Either today or when I was born white male in eastern europe : D

"Either today or when I was born white male in eastern europe"

Joking or not. Do you see an issue in that statement?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
SixForty wrote:

No, and if you do then you need to lighten up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: HBS '19 (WL)
Send PM
mr7183 wrote:
SixForty wrote:

No, and if you do then you need to lighten up.

I don't think it's harder for people from that part of the world. What could probably be an obstacle is some sort of leadership from a young age that HBS is looking at and that they might have not discovered easily. Physics/Math awards is a great achievement but did it inspire others? Did it lead others? Recommendations from alums or from colleagues with very senior titles are good, but the true story still is that it's what inside the rec and not who wrote it. The assumption is that many people have great essays, but some essays are much more personal, even if not necessarily flawless, and show someone who would add to case discussion. You never know exactly how the process works.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10017 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply

Blast from the Past: Interview Tips by @SBCErikaOlson

SBCErikaOlson wrote:
Rabster wrote:
Has anyone had their interview at Harvard yet? Any advice on what to expect?

I've done mock interviews with several applicants this year for R1 and their interviews seem to be between the end of this week and Nov. 20th or so.

As for what to expect, HBS will know your application very, very well. They will ask questions that are very specific to you -- wanting to understand why you made the choices you did for both your undergraduate education and your career. They may ask you about any potential red flags in your application (I was asked about the only C I ever received (in Accounting) and why I struggled with that class, for example). There may be some SWOT analysis types of questions for either your current company/industry or the company/industry you want to be in after graduation. Since the questions will be so specific based on your materials, it's hard to make generalities beyond that because they ask one person will be totally different from what they ask another.

If you interview on campus with the adcom, there could be two people in the room and they will likely be scribbling notes the entire time you talk, so don't be unnerved by that. They run the interviews like a machine and will keep you moving along when they need to get to the next question.

Hope that helps...

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V40
GMAT 3: 690 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.03
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
schwejk wrote:
mr7183 wrote:
SixForty wrote:

I don't think it's harder for people from that part of the world.

I don't want to sound like complaining (because I'm not in position to complain after all - consider myself born rather lucky), but I think it is. There are two groups of reasons:

1) It's generally harder to pass tests, write essays and etc. (don't want to speculate, but quite sure could shoot 800 if GMAT was in my native language. And I still got more or less decent English. Imagine how many people got 100+ less on GMAT because of language barrier. Essay could be pushed to be way more poetic and crisp as well).
2) You still got quotas everywhere. Acceptation rate is quite different for different regions.

That being said, it's not a reason to be not admitted.
If they take at least 1 person from your country, it means that all you have to do is to be number one.
We should all try to aim for this.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hertz wrote:
I don't want to sound like complaining (because I'm not in position to complain after all - consider myself born rather lucky), but I think it is. There are two groups of reasons:

1) It's generally harder to pass tests, write essays and etc. (don't want to speculate, but quite sure could shoot 800 if GMAT was in my native language. And I still got more or less decent English. Imagine how many people got 100+ less on GMAT because of language barrier. Essay could be pushed to be way more poetic and crisp as well).
2) You still got quotas everywhere. Acceptation rate is quite different for different regions.

If they take at least 1 person from your country, it means that all you have to do is to be number one.

From the applicant's perspective, I thnk that coming as a minority (even in terms of nationality) erases barriers that are associated with foreign languages. I don't think that many Russians are targeting MBA degrees in the US, especially at top business schools, so you are kind of a rare case here. Also, it is easier for Russians to have non-standard backgrounds, considering our unpredictable economy, which in many cases doesn't allow most Russians to make the desired career path if they are not from either Moscow or Saint-Petersburg, or have a family with a high-income level. We have to overcome much more obstacles than do an average american or european citizen. Therefore, for a Russian citizen himself applying to a business school in the US is already an achievment. I think that adcoms are pretty aware of the living standards of the countries and they evaluate applicants' achivements and profile, taking this knowledge into account. I see my nationality as an advantage, rather than a drawback.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
bakavoice wrote:
Hertz wrote:

From the applicant's perspective, I thnk that coming as a minority (even in terms of nationality) erases barriers that are associated with foreign languages. I don't think that many Russians are targeting MBA degrees in the US, especially at top business schools, so you are kind of a rare case here. Also, it is easier for Russians to have non-standard backgrounds, considering our unpredictable economy, which in many cases doesn't allow most Russians to make the desired career path if they are not from either Moscow or Saint-Petersburg, or have a family with a high-income level. We have to overcome much more obstacles than do an average american or european citizen. Therefore, for a Russian citizen himself applying to a business school in the US is already an achievment. I think that adcoms are pretty aware of the living standards of the countries and they evaluate applicants' achivements and profile, taking this knowledge into account. I see my nationality as an advantage, rather than a drawback.

There could be different perspectives on this. I see nationality as neither advantage nor disadvantage. To be honest, don't care about it much, as I can't change it, so it's not actionable. But there are two erratas:

1) Notice that I did not mention Russia in original post, rather about all non-natives in general. It's the same for Indian, Chinese, and so on.
2) As for Russia - yes, I agree, the number of applicants from Russia is far less than say from States. But check how many people get into top schools - for most it's 1-3 per year. Add up other quotas as male/female and you get an unpleasant picture. All of this projects in below average acceptation rate.

Now, for this particular year I have heard that the number of admits from Russia is especially low, but I don't have stats for this so I don't want to speculate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Schools: HBS '19 (WL)
Send PM
Kudos
It's a tough call anyway. For the adcoms, candidates from geopolitically challenged parts of the globe might even be of special, increased interest these days, given all the intercultural tensions and all, you name it. Can add extra insight into class discussions etc. The only hesitation could be adcoms' assessment of candidates' future earning power and ability to either stay in the US or make meaningful $ in home countries to proudly report in employment reports. Obviously, with currency exchange rates these days in most emerging markets - if the candidate is willing to go back home it may be seen as a negative.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10017 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just 10 days left for final results. How is everyone managing the wait? Interview applicants mind sharing their interview experiences?

See live updates on Decision Tracker https://gmatclub.com/forum/harvard-184/app-tracker.html
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts