It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:24

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Update application status  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 2

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 02:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hey mbamkay, I used the Wharton template for all of my applications, more because that was the only one I had and didn't bother to try and find other templates. It got me an interview with HBS. It sounds like your suggestion above to use the hbs template is very sensible. Definitely start with work experience followed by bullets of achievements.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 2

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3857 [0], given: 2464

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 16:32

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous HBS applicants

alomo wrote:

Just want to add about my interview to help out others who may interview this week or for Round 2.

My interview is completely resume-based with all the questions that really makes me feel that my interviewer has really read through my application for real! When I mentioned one issue about my essay, she said to me like "Oh! Like you have written in essay right?" So it caught me off-guard a bit but it really showed that she really have read the whole application!

She dug deep into my details about my current job and really like super deep asking about my customer and how I do my business. She ask some normal stuff like my weakness and why I choose my first job and my university and why I move to second job as well.

She didn't ask Why MBA, Why HBS or any typical MBA questions though. No walk me through your resume neither.

30 minutes can't be faster than HBS interview I Must say and she probably asked about 20 questions in 30 minutes time!

Overall, I felt quite weird coming out don't know if I did ok or bad or good at all and now I just keep thinking how I could answered better or what aspect I should have said! It is torturing actually! haha

Now the waiting begins! Let's hope for the best! :)

How about you guys? Has it gone well for you guys?

100+ Interview Debriefs from GMAT Club members

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 16:37

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous HBS applicants

asymmetric wrote:
Congratulations to all of you who received interviews!

As I imagine that many of you will start interviewing in approximately two weeks and selecting interview dates later today around noon, I figure some people may be interested in some of my personal takeaways from interviewing at HBS (on-campus) R1 this year.

• I was very impressed by the quality of the applicants. The pool selected seemed to be composed of very smart, personable people -- people I would be happy to have as classmates. I imagine you guys are just as strong, and look forward to meeting you as well next year. Perhaps some of us shall even be in the same section :)
  • Interviewing on-campus was definitely a good idea. If you can, do it. I advise that if you do, you sign up for a class visit either earlier in the day before your interview, or the day prior or something of that nature, such that you can talk about the HBS classroom environment during your interview. HBS is big on the case method, and Dee Leopold has said repeatedly they're trying to find people who fit well into a case method classroom. Talk about *specific* ways you'd be a good fit in this environment - things you think you can add to the classroom through your experiences that are unique and a reason they would want to have you as part of that classroom. If you've already visited a HBS class, or will have by the time you interviewed, don't sign up for a second one - due to space constraints they want people to only visit one class per application round, and you already have the experience to draw upon in your interview, so a second one isn't necessary. Also, go to all the sessions they have during your interview day! They had a career panel discussion, a session hosted by students, a session hosted by faculty, etc -- go! That's just more material you can bring up and talk about in your interview to show how strongly you're interested in the school, and that you've done your due diligence to determine HBS is a good fit for you.
  • My interviewer was very kind and friendly, however, basically had a poker face my entire interview, even as I was talking about what I thought to be my strongest points. This made me think that she wasn't impressed with my work experience, background, and decisions. From what I heard from other people who interviewed (and subsequently were accepted) as well, this is common. It, however, really threw me off -- don't let it get to you. The thirty minutes flies by, and as I stood up to walk out, I found myself a bit overwhelmed/concerned that I had not gotten enough good points through, or that I had horribly screwed some questions up, as she at no point seemed particularly moved by anything I was saying. I over-thought every question in the coming month after, and was convinced that I had bombed the interview. Don't do it. The interviewer probably liked you just fine, and you probably did not bomb the interview. It's their job to have that pokerface, and from what I've heard, all the people who had interviews like mine also got in. The one guy who I met who did NOT get in was the guy who said "man my interview went so great, that was so easy, I definitely crushed that, I'll be stunned if I don't get accepted." So, don't over-think it. My HBS interview was unique in this manner from every other school I interviewed at (MIT, Wharton), so even if you have had interviews at other schools, HBS can be a little different. It's normal, don't worry about it.
  • After you interview, you have to write a post-interview reflection (PIR) within 24 hours. I found this to actually be an excellent exercise, and I really appreciated HBS having this. As I mentioned above, there were a few things I felt I hadn't gotten the opportunity to cover, and really wanted to, and my PIR was where I did that. I don't think a good PIR alone can save a bad interview, or a bad PIR alone can ruin a good interview, but I do think it definitely is helpful if you were borderline. My word of advice about the PIR: be honest but positive! I've read about people focusing on everything they messed up in it, but I believe Dee Leopold reads *every* PIR herself. I doubt she wants to read a page about all the ways you messed up, when it's probably the 10th PIR that way she has read that day. Would a PIR like that make you really want to admit that student? If there are areas of concern, address them, but keep it in a positive light/upbeat/optimistic.
  • I also know some people walk out of the interview and sit down immediately after and write their PIR and submit it. I don't advise this. I'd take extensive notes on what was said in your interview, for yourself, right afterwards so you don't forget things, and maybe start a draft of your PIR, but I really recommend sleeping on it before submitting it. You have 24 hours. Take the time to think about what you want to convey. I was a little bit shell-shocked walking out of my interview and had a much more negative than I did after sleeping on it. Think about how many days you spent crafting, editing, etc, your essays. I think it's foolish to rush the PIR. They give you 24 hours, use them.

Overall the interview was a positive experience, even if a little daunting. You guys will all do fine! Best of luck.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 01:45

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 30 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Wrapping Up Interviews
As we packed up at the end of our last Round 1 interview day on campus, I chatted informally with a few other members of the Admissions Board about the incredible people we have met (that’s you) from around the world. Many of you told me that you were pleasantly surprised (and relieved) that the interviews were personal, conversational, and substantive. That’s music to my ears, and I hope it was true for all of you. We are really aiming to get to know you.

In the process of getting to know you, I felt the added bonus of learning so much from you—about your industries, the projects or deals you’ve worked on, the challenges you’ve overcome, your aspirations for the future, your perspectives on leadership and the role of business for good in our world. Thank you for that. Speaking with you reminds me of how much I learned from my classmates as a student here.

Now your hard work is done, and ours begins continues. Relish in that as the Thanksgiving holiday (for those of you in the U.S.) approaches! Before you know it, December 14 and final Round 1 decisions will be here.

For those applying in Round 2—we look forward to meeting you, too. Remember that we’re here to help as you get your application over the finish line (by Jan 4!). Check out the rest of this website for great resources, and don’t hesitate to reach out to admissions@hbs.edu or +1 617-495-6128 if you have specific questions.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Kudos [?]: 30 [1], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 18:10

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 18:16

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 12:33

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 16:32
According to the HBS admissions website and the interview day materials, decisions come out Dec. 14. However, according to the first page of this thread, P&Q's deadline list, and ClearAdmit, decisions come out Dec. 7. Does anyone know where the Dec. 7 date is coming from and if there is any validity to it?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 16:35
they probably just use last year's date - in any case... it's December 14th...

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.74
WE: Business Development (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2016, 19:39
In for R2!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Concentration: General Management

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 02:17
This post received
KUDOS
The count down is about to begin! Wednesday is coming... Good luck to everyone!!

Best,

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 02:21
Ritz17 wrote:
According to the HBS admissions website and the interview day materials, decisions come out Dec. 14. However, according to the first page of this thread, P&Q's deadline list, and ClearAdmit, decisions come out Dec. 7. Does anyone know where the Dec. 7 date is coming from and if there is any validity to it?

Looks like HBS has changed the decision date. At the beginning on the application cycle, HBS had posted 7th Dec as the decision date; We updated our databases accordingly, but now I can see they have changed it to Dec 14th. I've updated the first post with revised deadline.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 02:23
santamaria wrote:
The count down is about to begin! Wednesday is coming... Good luck to everyone!!

Best,

Good luck guys! May the force be with you all.

Take a look at our recent analysis on chances of getting admitted after interview.. chances-of-getting-admitted-after-an-interview-230246.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: General Management

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 02:26
Narenn wrote:
Ritz17 wrote:

Looks like HBS has changed the decision date. At the beginning on the application cycle, HBS had posted 7th Dec as the decision date; We updated our databases accordingly, but now I can see they have changed it to Dec 14th. I've updated the first post with revised deadline.

That is correct! After the interview I even received a paper from the adcom where it clear mentions Dec 14th as the date we would receive the decision.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 30 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Round One Decisions This Week
On my way into work this morning I tried to think about what might be most helpful to those of you who applied and interviewed with us in round one. Here goes:

First, let me start with some of the mechanics for Wednesday, December 14. Decisions will be released at 12 noon, Eastern Standard Time, via the Application Status page. (Just log in directly, you don’t need to wait for an email.) There will be one of three decisions: accept, waitlist or release. Accept and release are self-explanatory; the waitlist means that we are really encouraged about your candidacy but have not made a final decision yet. You should take it as a good sign! There will be more details on the waitlist on December 14 and in an email from Eileen Chang later in the week.

Second, some advice. Before decisions are released, take some time (even 10 minutes) to reflect on the past couple of months. What have you learned about yourself and what’s important to you over the next few years (and decades)? How do you want to make a difference in the world and how does HBS fit into those plans? Once the decisions are released, there will be a swirl of activity, conversation and, maybe, emotion—so if you can, take time to feel as grounded as possible going into Wednesday.

We are delighted about the “accept” offers that will go out on Wednesday—we need each of your perspectives in the Class of 2019. We are grateful for all of you who have applied.

For those applying in round two, we haven’t forgotten about you! I know it’s a busy time. I’ll post again with some more thoughts for you next week, but be sure to tune into our Round 2 QA webinar on December 14 at 4pm Eastern.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Kudos [?]: 30 [2], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Simon Rochester ThreadMaster

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 0

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 23:24
This post received
KUDOS
In for R2 :D might just be $250 thrown away but trying won't hurt
Good luck everyone!

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 04:58
Good luck to all HBS applicants! Join chat room4 to share decision updates with each other in real time.. mchat4.php?fl=menu

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 08:56

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 45 [2], given: 4

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
Can't believe it, I'm in!!

Kudos [?]: 45 [2], given: 4

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2016, 09:10

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  27    Next  [ 537 posts ] 

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap