It is currently 16 Jan 2018, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Update application status  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
Finally got my ding, I kind of lost hope after the 6th, so I wasn't setting my expectations high.

Is there any stat on the number of people who don't even interview at HBS, but still get into other M7 schools? Just mostly to make myself feel better :)

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2016, 17:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: The Scoop on Interviews/Next Steps
For someone new to Dillon House, I’ve noticed it’s been oddly quiet around here since Round One applications came in. I don’t mean we haven’t been busy—there is actually no busier time for us—but it has been audibly quiet as we’ve all been heads down, reading your (very thoughtful) applications.

The next step is interviews. We will be sending out interview invitations on the following three days: October 4, 6, and 12. Try not to read into which date you hear from us—being invited to interview on October 4 vs. October 12 does not mean you are more likely to be accepted. We spread out interview invitations to avoid congestion on the interview sign-up pages.

If you haven’t heard from us on October 4 or 6, you will hear one of three things from us on October 12: 1) Invitation to Interview 2) Release or 3) Further Consideration. Let me explain. By releasing those of you who will not move forward with our process on October 12—rather than waiting until December to let you know—we hope to give you time to explore other potential options. For group 3), we would like to Further Consider your applications in Round Two.

Interviews will occur between October 23 and November 18. In addition to on-campus interviews, we also conduct interviews in Shanghai, Tokyo, Dubai, Mumbai, São Paulo, New York City, Palo Alto, London, and Paris. Where you interview does NOT affect your likelihood to be accepted (all interviews globally are conducted only by members of the Admissions Board), but if you come to Boston to interview, you’ll also have the chance to sit in on a class and interact with current students and faculty. Candidates who are not able to travel may be accommodated via Skype.

So, that’s the scoop on interviews! Now back to the best (and quietest) part of my day…reading your applications.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

4 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 23 [4], given: 10

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Venture Capital)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
For everyone that received interview invites, congrats!!! When it comes to your interview, just be confident (but not cocky!) and try to enjoy the experience as much as possible.

For those who received dings -- please don't get discouraged. The majority of applicants are qualified, and it ultimately comes down to fit. There are many, many amazing MBA programs out there. Best of luck with your other applications!

For those who hope to reapply to HBS in a year or two, I was once in your shoes -- rejected without interview to HBS, reapplied and am now an RC student.

Kudos [?]: 23 [4], given: 10

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 149

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 18:27
giapocalypse wrote:
For everyone that received interview invites, congrats!!! When it comes to your interview, just be confident (but not cocky!) and try to enjoy the experience as much as possible.

For those who received dings -- please don't get discouraged. The majority of applicants are qualified, and it ultimately comes down to fit. There are many, many amazing MBA programs out there. Best of luck with your other applications!

For those who hope to reapply to HBS in a year or two, I was once in your shoes -- rejected without interview to HBS, reapplied and am now an RC student.

Thank you for sharing your experience giapocalypse. I am kind of in the same position. Last year dinged after deferred decision without interview, this year invited to interview.

Where you asked what has changed since you first applied? Could you share some of your interview experience in general?

I am the master of my faith;
I am the captain of my soul.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 23 [2], given: 10

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 19:15
This post received
KUDOS
jole101 wrote:
giapocalypse wrote:

Thank you for sharing your experience giapocalypse. I am kind of in the same position. Last year dinged after deferred decision without interview, this year invited to interview.

Where you asked what has changed since you first applied? Could you share some of your interview experience in general?

Sure! I'm told that HBS takes an entirely fresh look at reapplicants (though previous applications are retained and may be referenced by Admissions). I also heard that about 10% of the class previously applied unsuccessfully before ultimately being admitted. If you received an interview invite, your chances of admission jump to 50 - 60%! Sounds like you've got a good shot with the extra year or work experience working in your favor.

During my interview, I was not asked anything about my prior application or what had changed since I applied previously (but my changes were rather obvious -- I transitioned from my first job to my second job, added additional extracurriculars, re-took the GMAT to raise my score by 10 pts, and did a much better job on execution). I was, however, asked "Why now?" for an MBA (since I had only been at my new job for about a year).

The HBS interview is unique. You (most likely) won't get any "gotcha" questions -- the questions are generally about your past professional experiences and why you made your career decisions. I was asked for specifics on what I wrote in both my resume and essay -- be ready to articulate the impact you had on your organization, how you learned your skills, how you approached any challenges, why you chose a specific job, etc. Know your industry -- you might be asked specifics on trends or recent news. The interviewer will have studied your application in detail, since the interviewer is the one who advocated for you to receive an interview invite. She or he may have googled you and your firm (if you don't come from a well-known company). In general, the interviews are very conversational. My understanding is that presence/body language matters a lot -- for the case method, you need to be confident and articulate in defending your views, so try your best to come into the interview as relaxed as possible.

I know how intimidating this process can be, but it will all be over soon. Best of luck with your interviews!

Kudos [?]: 23 [2], given: 10

BSchool Forum Moderator

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 19:23
giapocalypse wrote:
jole101 wrote:

Sure! I'm told that HBS takes an entirely fresh look at reapplicants (though previous applications are retained and may be referenced by Admissions). I also heard that about 10% of the class previously applied unsuccessfully before ultimately being admitted. If you received an interview invite, your chances of admission jump to 50 - 60%! Sounds like you've got a good shot with the extra year or work experience working in your favor.

During my interview, I was not asked anything about my prior application or what had changed since I applied previously (but my changes were rather obvious -- I transitioned from my first job to my second job, added additional extracurriculars, re-took the GMAT to raise my score by 10 pts, and did a much better job on execution). I was, however, asked "Why now?" for an MBA (since I had only been at my new job for about a year).

The HBS interview is unique. You (most likely) won't get any "gotcha" questions -- the questions are generally about your past professional experiences and why you made your career decisions. I was asked for specifics on what I wrote in both my resume and essay -- be ready to articulate the impact you had on your organization, how you learned your skills, how you approached any challenges, why you chose a specific job, etc. Know your industry -- you might be asked specifics on trends or recent news. The interviewer will have studied your application in detail, since the interviewer is the one who advocated for you to receive an interview invite. She or he may have googled you and your firm (if you don't come from a well-known company). In general, the interviews are very conversational. My understanding is that presence/body language matters a lot -- for the case method, you need to be confident and articulate in defending your views, so try your best to come into the interview as relaxed as possible.

I know how intimidating this process can be, but it will all be over soon. Best of luck with your interviews!

Thank you so much, this is tremendously helpful!

Am not too nervous at this point frankly. But 100% sure it will come! Preparing diligently will help :-)

BSchool Forum Moderator

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 07:09
To those who have interviewed or have friends / colleagues who have in the past:

I heard two different scenarios for the interviews.

1) One of the interviewers has read your entire application (CV, essay, online application, recommendation letters) while the other has read your CV only.
2) One of the interviewers has read your entire application (CV, essay, online application, recommendation letters) while the other has read nothing about you.

Are both scenarios still practiced? Is it up to to the two interviewers themselves how they handle each case?

Any help is appreciated :-)

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 07:40
I haven't heard of anyone in the recent past being interviewed by two people. There may be two people in the ROOM, but only one asks questions while the other is taking notes. Whoever interviews you at HBS is going to know your application inside and out, and the questions will be very targeted to you.

Good luck!

jole101 wrote:
To those who have interviewed or have friends / colleagues who have in the past:

1) One of the interviewers has read your entire application (CV, essay, online application, recommendation letters) while the other has read your CV only.
2) One of the interviewers has read your entire application (CV, essay, online application, recommendation letters) while the other has read nothing about you.

Are both scenarios still practiced? Is it up to to the two interviewers themselves how they handle each case?

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 10:38
jole101 wrote:

If you interview on campus, you (most likely) will have one interviewer and one scribe (the person taking notes on what you say). The interviewer is the one who evaluated your application and recommended you to receive an interview invite -- this person asks all the questions, tailored to your background and experience. The scribe will not have reviewed your materials (or only seen your resume). Your interviewer will explain this to you when you start the interview (he/she will tell you how much the scribe knows about your application and how to approach the interview). My general advice is that you want to be talking to/engaging with both people during your interview. Do not get discouraged if you receive blanks expressions after answering a question (poker face time!). Just be confident, composed, and concise in your answers (helps to practice).

The more rare case is that you only have one interviewer and no scribe. I know several admitted students who were only interviewed by one person in Admissions. People have tried to guess about whether this is a good or bad sign in terms of chances of getting admitted, but it's impossible to tell. Just don't worry if you don't have a scribe in the room.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Schools: Stanford '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 00:51
giapocalypse wrote:
jole101 wrote:

If you interview on campus, you (most likely) will have one interviewer and one scribe (the person taking notes on what you say). The interviewer is the one who evaluated your application and recommended you to receive an interview invite -- this person asks all the questions, tailored to your background and experience. The scribe will not have reviewed your materials (or only seen your resume). Your interviewer will explain this to you when you start the interview (he/she will tell you how much the scribe knows about your application and how to approach the interview). My general advice is that you want to be talking to/engaging with both people during your interview. Do not get discouraged if you receive blanks expressions after answering a question (poker face time!). Just be confident, composed, and concise in your answers (helps to practice).

The more rare case is that you only have one interviewer and no scribe. I know several admitted students who were only interviewed by one person in Admissions. People have tried to guess about whether this is a good or bad sign in terms of chances of getting admitted, but it's impossible to tell. Just don't worry if you don't have a scribe in the room.

Anyone know how this is the same/different if you interview at an off-campus hub? Still typically two people in the room, or do they only send one?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 149

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 19:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

We are happy to announce the launch of our new App Tracker here: http://gmatclub.com/forum/app-tracker.html!

The app tracker will give you a much better overview of current stats for specific schools.

Most importantly, unregistered users will be able to submit their application status.

We hope you will enjoy this new feature!

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 149

Expert Post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 10

Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 08:15
Hi all,

Once again, Kyle and I have compiled a list of resources for lucky candidates to prepare for their HBS interview.
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hb ... w-invites/

All the best to all !

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors, LLC
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/

Prepare for your HBS interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hbs-round-one-interview-invites/
Prepare for your Wharton TBD: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/registrations-for-the-wharton-team-based-discussion-simulation/

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 10

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: HBS

Kudos [?]: 7 [2], given: 0

Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 19:24
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to everyone here!

I was lucky enough to get in to HBS and am now a EC (2nd year student). To those of you who decide to matriculate at HBS, the 2019 FB group has been created.

Facebook Group Name: HBS MBA Class of 2019

After rd 1 letters go out, students join and use the group for vacation planning, ASW (admitted student week), housing, etc.

Kudos [?]: 7 [2], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 19:36
JusttaketheGRE wrote:
Good luck to everyone here!

I was lucky enough to get in to HBS and am now a EC (2nd year student). To those of you who decide to matriculate at HBS, the 2019 FB group has been created.

Facebook Group Name: HBS MBA Class of 2019

After rd 1 letters go out, students join and use the group for vacation planning, ASW (admitted student week), housing, etc.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Would you mind sharing your interview experience and tell us about your experience as an RC ?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 3

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
Has anyone here completed their interview yet? How did it go?

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 16

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.73
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
In for R2!

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 16

Director
Director
B
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 5

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 08:52
Dcosmba wrote:
Has anyone here completed their interview yet? How did it go?

Two of my clients had theirs this week but both were phone interviews because they're deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, respectively, so it's a little harder to pull useful information from their feedback. One said he thought the questions were pretty straightforward and that things went well, the other felt like things went downhill a bit after he was tripped up by a few curveball questions.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/
Admissions Consulting for Veterans, by Veterans

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 5

BSchool Forum Moderator

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 02:23
Added my report on clearadmit.

Should hopefully be updated soon! Happy to share more details with anyone also :-)

BSchool Forum Moderator

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 23:54
jole101 wrote:
Added my report on clearadmit.

Should hopefully be updated soon! Happy to share more details with anyone also :-)

Here is my report if that helps anyone :-)

http://www.clearadmit.com/2016/11/hbs-i ... ampus-hub/

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.73
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 18:28
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone here is using the HBS CV format for their applications?
I'm aware MBA application resumes are a lot different than regular job resumes yet I'm wondering if the HBS format (job description, followed by bullets with achievements) is a powerful way to communicate to Adcom.

If yes / no, why ?

Thanks ! :) good luck to all , give it your best shot so you have no regrets !

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2016, 18:28

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  27    Next  [ 538 posts ] 

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap