It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 10:15
dinged

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 10:25
Dinged

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 44

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 3

WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 11:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
Ah, got an invite!

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 3

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 80

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 11:58
Congratulations to everyone who received an invite today or last week ! If you're preparing for your HBS interview, you might find this post helpful: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hb ... nterviews/

It contains links to several HBS interview prep resources.

All the best !
_________________

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors, LLC
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/

Prepare for your HBS interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hbs-round-one-interview-invites/
Prepare for your Wharton TBD: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/registrations-for-the-wharton-team-based-discussion-simulation/

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jul 2016
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [5], given: 0

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.9
Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 14:23
5
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, for these who are dinged - I invoke you to not let yourself be down by that fact.

As for me - I believe I can be your champion.

Dinged without interview with the following:

1) Degree in physics and engineering in top national university, GPA 3.9
2) GMAT 780 with one try (and 5 days of preparation), got some V mistakes - non-native English speaker
3) Winner of gazillion of national contests in maths / physics
4) Background: BCG + McKinsey, had one of the fastest promotions and top performance quartile at both firms
5) Essays checked by several HBS students and alums
6) References from BCG / McK alum and current senior partner
7) Bunch of extracurricular awards / etc (e.g. boardgame national champion, international management conferences and etc.)

Well, what can I do... Guess was not my day : ) Either today or when I was born white male in eastern europe : D

Kudos [?]: 15 [5], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Posts: 91

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 15:00
I know some absolute monsters that didn't get invited in R1... the consulting / PE cohort is ridiculously competitive.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Location: United States (PA)
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Insurance)
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 22:28
Hertz wrote:
Guys, for these who are dinged - I invoke you to not let yourself be down by that fact.

As for me - I believe I can be your champion.

Dinged without interview with the following:

1) Degree in physics and engineering in top national university, GPA 3.9
2) GMAT 780 with one try (and 5 days of preparation), got some V mistakes - non-native English speaker
3) Winner of gazillion of national contests in maths / physics
4) Background: BCG + McKinsey, had one of the fastest promotions and top performance quartile at both firms
5) Essays checked by several HBS students and alums
6) References from BCG / McK alum and current senior partner
7) Bunch of extracurricular awards / etc (e.g. boardgame national champion, international management conferences and etc.)

Well, what can I do... Guess was not my day : ) Either today or when I was born white male in eastern europe : D


Maybe you're overqualified haha

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jan 2017
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 23:52
Dinged...but trying to keep a positive attitude about remaining apps.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 160

Kudos [?]: 66 [2], given: 1

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 09:32
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Anyone who didn't get good news from HBS should absolutely stay positive about their remaining applications. Remember that the vast majority of people did not get interview invites from HBS. While I like the fact that HBS lets candidates know where they stand earlier than other programs, at the same time it's extra tough because MOST people don't get an interview invite, HBS is one of the top-three toughest programs to get into in the entire world, but yet it still somehow makes people feel less confident about the rest of their materials for other schools. It shouldn't. What happens with one school has absolutely no bearing on what will happen anywhere else. So have faith in your materials and yourself!

Good luck!

BigGulpsHuh wrote:
Dinged...but trying to keep a positive attitude about remaining apps.

_________________

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Kudos [?]: 66 [2], given: 1

Simon Rochester ThreadMaster
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2016
Posts: 40

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Location: Viet Nam
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2017, 19:59
Dinged

But reading from Hertz gave me a big relieve, haha. Thanks bro for making my day better. Your profile is awesome and you know you could easily get into everywhere.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2014
Posts: 91

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 26

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
My HBS Review [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 03:33

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 26

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2013
Posts: 31

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 220 Q1 V2
Reviews Badge
My HBS Review [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 03:37

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
P
Status: Back to work...
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 4712

Kudos [?]: 3711 [0], given: 2420

Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 08:35

Kudos [?]: 3711 [0], given: 2420

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jul 2016
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.9
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 13:49
Jude1903 wrote:
Dinged

But reading from Hertz gave me a big relieve, haha. Thanks bro for making my day better. Your profile is awesome and you know you could easily get into everywhere.


That's what I thought before getting dinged without interview : D

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 44

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 18:32
gotti wrote:


I'm not sure if this post should make me feel panicked or optimistic about my own interview next week.
Regardless, I will be frantically preparing the next few days!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
P
Status: Back to work...
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 4712

Kudos [?]: 3711 [0], given: 2420

Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 00:33
ChemEng2013 wrote:
gotti wrote:


I'm not sure if this post should make me feel panicked or optimistic about my own interview next week.
Regardless, I will be frantically preparing the next few days!


Don't forget that he finally got admitted to HBS. Perhaps his performance on the interview was not as bad as he felt initially.

Good luck for your interview. Do share your experience with us.
_________________

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3711 [0], given: 2420

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2015
Posts: 71

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 0

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 08:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
My two quick pieces of advice for the interview:

1) try not to get lost in the details in your responses and just give a concise, although complete, answer. If the adcom wants more details, they'll ask you follow up questions.

2) I came across this advice before my interview and keeping this in mind definitely helped me: The adcom is also seeing if you will be a good fit in the classroom (and part of the case method). Meaning, they will likely challenge your responses in some way (they did to a couple of my responses), but I think they want to see if you can quickly come up with support for your initial claim and hold your ground (like you would in the classroom). If i hadn't remembered this I may have thought my response was just wrong and it would have thrown me off. Instead, I stuck to my initial response and gave some more support for it. I think they liked that.

Good luck (and remember to not over stress)!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 44

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 19:39
mj800 wrote:
My two quick pieces of advice for the interview:

1) try not to get lost in the details in your responses and just give a concise, although complete, answer. If the adcom wants more details, they'll ask you follow up questions.

2) I came across this advice before my interview and keeping this in mind definitely helped me: The adcom is also seeing if you will be a good fit in the classroom (and part of the case method). Meaning, they will likely challenge your responses in some way (they did to a couple of my responses), but I think they want to see if you can quickly come up with support for your initial claim and hold your ground (like you would in the classroom). If i hadn't remembered this I may have thought my response was just wrong and it would have thrown me off. Instead, I stuck to my initial response and gave some more support for it. I think they liked that.

Good luck (and remember to not over stress)!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum



This is really helpful and good to keep in mind. I'm also someone who would likely assume they were just telling me I was wrong. My friend (who has given grad school interviews before) did a mock interview with me last night. It helped point out some week spots, so hopefully it goes well next week. I'll be interviewing over Skype because I cannot make it to Boston.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Dec 2014
Posts: 101

Kudos [?]: 45 [1], given: 4

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 20:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
ChemEng2013 wrote:
mj800 wrote:
My two quick pieces of advice for the interview:

1) try not to get lost in the details in your responses and just give a concise, although complete, answer. If the adcom wants more details, they'll ask you follow up questions.

2) I came across this advice before my interview and keeping this in mind definitely helped me: The adcom is also seeing if you will be a good fit in the classroom (and part of the case method). Meaning, they will likely challenge your responses in some way (they did to a couple of my responses), but I think they want to see if you can quickly come up with support for your initial claim and hold your ground (like you would in the classroom). If i hadn't remembered this I may have thought my response was just wrong and it would have thrown me off. Instead, I stuck to my initial response and gave some more support for it. I think they liked that.

Good luck (and remember to not over stress)!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum



This is really helpful and good to keep in mind. I'm also someone who would likely assume they were just telling me I was wrong. My friend (who has given grad school interviews before) did a mock interview with me last night. It helped point out some week spots, so hopefully it goes well next week. I'll be interviewing over Skype because I cannot make it to Boston.



All great advice, I would mention that not interviewing in person is not a disadvantage. I did not interview on campus and was admitted.

Be confident, not cocky. Be concise, not short. Overall, be yourself.

Happy to answer any questions that folks have.

Kudos [?]: 45 [1], given: 4

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Posts: 46

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

HBS Mission, the Case Method, and Diverse Perspectives [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 11:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: HBS Mission, the Case Method, and Diverse Perspectives
I feel fortunate to be affiliated with an institution with such a strong sense of mission. The HBS mission—to educate leaders who make a difference in the world—is at the core of all we do. It influences how we teach, how we learn, how we build community, and how we support one another.

For the admissions team, the mission keeps us focused on crafting an exceptional class of leaders each year from across the entire world. We welcome applications from all people, everywhere, who share a passion for learning and making a difference in the world.

This past week, I had the great pleasure of spending two days with our Round 1 admits during Admitted Students Welcome. This gave me time to reflect, again, on the power of bringing together a smart, diverse, and motivated group of leaders in a learning community.

This is especially true at HBS since the case method thrives on diverse perspectives. Easy answers are hard to come by in the real world, so the case method and the broader learning model at HBS are designed to help you develop good judgment. Let me explain.

Over the course of two years at HBS you put yourself in the shoes of hundreds of different business leaders facing big decisions. You debate with your classmates the best course of action, and you won’t always agree. But, you learn to listen, to respectfully make counterpoints, and to understand where someone else is coming from. Your professors expertly guide the conversation toward key insights, but much of the learning comes from your peers. The case method works because students bring different perspectives to the classroom every day -- perspectives shaped by their individual experiences, upbringings, world views, and aspirations.

When I was a student, the most meaningful case discussions were the ones where I came in with a strong opinion about what the case protagonist should do, then walked out of the debate having totally changed my mind. Over the course of two years my classmates molded me into a better communicator, a person with more empathy, and a leader with better judgment. (Although I still have a lot to learn!)

So this post is a (long-winded) way of reaffirming our commitment to assembling a class of remarkable leaders who will make a difference in the world, wherever they come from. The recent U.S. executive order restricting travel to America for citizens from certain countries does not change this, nor are we changing our admissions policy or practices as a result.

While we have limited influence on visa and residency decisions by the government, we will do our best to make it possible for each admitted student to attend HBS (and we are working with our colleagues across Harvard University to ensure that the consequences of the order, as it is being evaluated by the judicial system, are understood). The case method, our community, and the HBS mission depend on it.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

_________________

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

HBS Mission, the Case Method, and Diverse Perspectives   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2017, 11:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27    Next  [ 537 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: ydmuley, OasisGC, aeropower, aerien



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.